LegacyGT.com

Wheels to avoid?

mcsquish

I'm starting to think I might be better off replacing my stockers with some aftermarket wheels since I have bent two of them so far (one I have no idea how, and one due to icy corner). My question for everyone is, what are the brands and shops I should avoid?

Thanks for everyone's time for a newbie question.

+1 on tire rack brands... most are quality designs and companies.

All depends on what you want to spend.

Also check out and search the Aftermarket wheels thread on this forum. We generally all stick to similar brands and styles, not because we are sheep but more becaue we have similar tastes and quality concerns.

Rotas are a great inexpensive place to start. www.subydude.com

Welcome to the bent rim club.... Not sure what to avoid but got a decent set for $1200 from Tire rack...

I saw those and that's the style I'm looking at, but the wrong color.

Also check out and search the Aftermarket wheels thread on this forum. We generally all stick to similar brands and styles, not because we are sheep but more becaue we have similar tastes and quality concerns.

Oh I have been watching that thread for some time. I start drooling every time I go there.

forged wheels will be the strongest. Also, you might invest in some better tires for your conditions, that may help prevent the wheel damaging incident to begin with.
ignore him, he'll go away.

I know this has been discussed to death but you might want to go with a 225 tire if you haven't already.

TireRack is good, just ignore them when they tell you to put a 215/45/17 on a 17 x 8 rim!!

Many members have gone with a 225/45/17 tire size even on 7" wide rims for more wheel protection.

I live in Potholeville, which is just north of Bentrim Park.

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Don't get these.

http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/cr/crowderscustomizing/.mids/BR510_dark.jpg

I'm running 225/45/17 on Enkei RPF-1 17x7.5. Never had a problem with the worst potholes in NJ.

+1 Tire Rack.

I have already switched to the 225 tire when I got rid of the wonderful preforming RE's. I switched over because of the slightly taller sidewall because the GF thought the ride was too rough....... That is when my first bent rim was found.

Thanks again for everyone's reply

I had mille miglia wheels on my IS300 and I had a bad experience with them...I bent 2 of them from just normal driving. It wasn;t like I hit a huge pothole and immediatly realized I might have bent one...i just hit normal everyday potholes, within 6 months 2 bent wheels on opposite sides on the car. :( Not to mention they wieghed about 25 lbs for 17x8's..

Stay away from cheap-o's, you get what you pay for

Like others said most of the stuff on tirerack is good, and most of the vendors on here/NASIOC tend to sell quality stuff as well

You get what you pay for!! The only Rims I would buy would be Volks...all the way. Don't be fooled, not all forged wheels are of equal strength and quality.

Volk wheels cost 3 times as much because they are simply that much stronger then most other brands. Take your time,do your homework and determine your budget.

A lot of people just cant fathom paying 600 per wheel with no rubber and so they pick a less expensive product within their budget....but long term that 600$ wheel will hold up way-way better. I live in upstate NY and we are pot-hole central, everyone I know rocks Volk and swears buy them.

Good Luck

I'm starting to think I might be better off replacing my stockers with some aftermarket wheels since I have bent two of them so far (one I have no idea how, and one due to icy corner). My question for everyone is, what are the brands and shops I should avoid?

Thanks for everyone's time for a newbie question.

So I guess my assumption that the stockers were pretty sturdy and hard to damage is wrong. Especially on a day when I got run off the edge of the road this morning by some asshat not watching where he was going and dropped the wheel pretty hard onto the dirt shoulder with a thud. Been looking for an excuse to get the wifes permission on some new wheels, maybe this is it.

You get what you pay for!! The only Rims I would buy would be Volks...all the way. Don't be fooled, not all forged wheels are of equal strength and quality.

Volk wheels cost 3 times as much because they are simply that much stronger then most other brands. Take your time,do your homework and determine your budget.

A lot of people just cant fathom paying 600 per wheel with no rubber and so they pick a less expensive product within their budget....but long term that 600$ wheel will hold up way-way better. I live in upstate NY and we are pot-hole central, everyone I know rocks Volk and swears buy them.

Good Luck

I've seen plenty of bent Volks lol fanboy

every single wheel manufactured has the potential to bend...I didnt say that volks were indestructible...but that they are stronger then the MOST. I was using Volks as one "high end" wheel example for you get what you pay for. Dont be so quick to hate...

Welcome to the bent rim club.... Not sure what to avoid but got a decent set for $1200 from Tire rack...

ASA wheels are tough! They are manufactured one step above other wheels. I know they are three ways of manufacturing wheels, and they are in the middle. I had a set on a previous car, and they were the only ones that I did not bend.

X

---

my rota's have been through hellish potholes and have held up well.. but I'm used to buttery soft Audi wheels...

Stay away from the SSR GT3, or most SSR rims... also buttery soft, but soo pretty..

Archived