LegacyGT.com

Rant: Radio Bracket Screws

simple

I've done a few installs now for the Jazzy Aux unit for some friends and wouldn't you know it I've had my fair share of hiccups in learning to nail down the install.

The most consistent problem I have had is with the four screws on either side of the headunit that attaches the exterior bracket. These mother f'ers strip out really easily, bind up, and pretty much ruin the installation for me.

Right now I have a spare headunit that has 3 of these screws that will not even come off! I've hit it with my 9v Makita and a 14.4v Dewalt and they will not budge! I've got one screw on my personal car that is so stripped out the screw head is a giant hole!

Does anyone else have these problems with these screws? Anyone got any advise on how to get these overtorqued and stripped screws out?

Thanks! :mad:

A good quality phillips screwdriver is your friend. As far as the ones that are already stripped, get a reverse drill bit the same diameter as the screw threads (5mm) and drill the head off. Once the head is off the screw, there is no tension on the threads, and they will back right out.

To get the old ones out, they have at Lowes/HD a reversing bit that will easily back them out. No drilling. A quality #2 bit easily pulls them out. And set the torque on your screwgun to mid-low and just snug them. No need to grind them in there. Also, magnetize the bit to avoid dropping the deeper ones.

P2R is your friend.. holds screws in the middle. When ever I get in a bind, I grab the disc grider, scribe a line, and whip it off with a flathead. Sometimes those screw extractors just dont work. Especially when you stripped em deep.

I have not had any issues with Subarus in a whole, but in Nissans, good lord.. they use the same torque wrench they use on the lugnuts.

Rich @ HCA

Hand tools FTW!!

Too many people go straight for the power tools and that's how things get forked

Erik and I are huge fans of hand tools (more so Erik). Both of us have ratcheting screwdrivers that get the job done, without breaking anything with extreme torque.

Rich @ HCA

I trashed one on my '05 HU. Actually it was pretty much stripped before I even got to it. The installer at the factory must have stripped it upon installation. I eventually got it with hand tools. Ratcheting screw driver sure helped. Many curse words were used as well.

Japanese METRIC PHILIPS for the WIN.

I work for Toshiba America Medical Systems and sure enough many of the screws that look like a normal #1 or #2 philips ARE NOT THE SAME SIZE.

There are METRIC PHILIPS head screws used by Japan.

I dont know if this is the case here but it is a possibility.

We have a X-Ray collimator that has screws in it that are so tight the only thing you can get them out with is a JAPANESE METRIC PHILIPS SCREWDRIVER

Archived