LegacyGT.com

How many bent stock '05 wheels are out there?

mcsquish

Well I just got a call that I now am a proud owner of a badly bent stock wheel. Not sure when or how this happened, I had a friend get my tires reballanced (I'm on the road for work) because the car had a vibration and that's when the flat spot on the rim was found. I guess this time I'm going to try replacing it, but if it is common, I guess I had better start saving for some new wheels.

________

ASS EBONY

Oh it's bent, or should I say a really nice flat spot. I hit a good chuck hole, but that was a while ago, but then again, I had some work done and they drove it. Who knows. It feels like a tire is out of balance, I can feel it in the pedals (like it?s in the rear) and the steering wheel shimmies (like it?s in the front). The bent wheel in on the rear now and still feels the same.?

________

FREE GANG BANG VIDEOS

Guest JessterCPA

I banged one of mine really hard on a good ol' NJ pothole. The tire would not hold air, so I forked over the $120, and 2 days later I was all better.

Jesse

Guest JessterCPA
JessterCPA, where did you find a wheel for $120? I'm having a heck of a time finding one wheel for sale that isn't banged up.

I actually didnt get a whole new wheel, my local shop sent mine out to get fixed. I did pick up a set of lightly used RE-92's here on the board.

Jesse

I hit the remains of a curb that was ~2" high of rough concrete between on-ramp and highway. Very loud bang and I noticed the RE92's protruding rub strip folded onto the rim based on the rib marks on the rim now. However no damage and it rides perfectly once the RE92's warm up.

i would just get a cheep used ones and save for some wheels. Snow tires in snow and summer tires for the summer FTW!

BTW My cousin bent one for hers hiting a bad pothole. My stockers Have suffered only minor curb rash. I think my 18X8.5 can take more of a beating then my stocks can.

A little bend, a little crack - just minor things and I couldn't understand why it wouldn't hold air...:eek:. The sound it made as the two halves "cracked" together until I got the car stopped was unreal. You can't see in the pics but there's only about 5" of that inner rim that's left intact, the rest is cracked open.

Replaced it with a good used LGT wheel (thanks Sube555) and added a full-size spare after two events in less than 4 months put me on the donut both times. Enough was enough.

SBT

1171994576_LGTWheelInside(800x600).thumb.jpg.698b127404059a768ca56fd7b7ad9609.jpg

1335500802_LGTWheelSideView(800x600).thumb.jpg.b39785717bb03ff7ba72983c2e952551.jpg

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

wow that wheel is f00ked.. are our rims considered to not be very "tough." A buddy of mine has prodrive leggas and said they are really strong and dont bend very easily unlike our stockers.
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

A little bend, a little crack - just minor things and I couldn't understand why it wouldn't hold air...:eek:. The sound it made as the two halves "cracked" together until I got the car stopped was unreal. You can't see in the pics but there's only about 5" of that inner rim that's left intact, the rest is cracked open.

Replaced it with a good used LGT wheel (thanks Sube555) and added a full-size spare after two events in less than 4 months put me on the donut both times. Enough was enough.

SBT

OMG, tell us more how the hell did it happen. Really mostrous pothole or you suspect wheel defect?

Very simple - straight stretch of road. Huge, intrusive cave-in/pot-hole on the side of the road. You can't see it from the pic but it's about 6-8" deep and washed out from the rain. Heading in the direction of travel from the pic and wind gust shoved me sideways into it. Not off the road, just through the pothole. Managed to miss it with the front end or at least kept part of the front wheel on the road, but the rear wheel didn't make it.

If the road was properly repaired, wouldn't have been any effect at all.

SBT

1226506504_Pot-hole(800x600).thumb.jpg.16d99c0e5111dd5e77d46ad21ce8a205.jpg

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I bent two before going to aftermarket wheels:

http://www.howard.saturnet.net/leggy/rimz4sale/rimz4sale-Thumbnails/3.jpg

Hmmm. So stockers are waek suckers then....

Well I just got a call that I now am a proud owner of a badly bent stock wheel. Not sure when or how this happened, I had a friend get my tires reballanced (I'm on the road for work) because the car had a vibration and that's when the flat spot on the rim was found. I guess this time I'm going to try replacing it, but if it is common, I guess I had better start saving for some new wheels.

How fast were you going? How much weight was your car carrying at the time? How much did that failed wheel weigh and what was it's construction and maker? What tire pressure were you running at the time? Load rating of your tire? Ambient temperature?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Archived