LegacyGT.com

2012 Legacy won’t start help

Hello everyone. Bought a Legacy from my oldest daughter for my youngest so familiar with the history on the car. Just had the timing belt, water pump and tensioner replaced. Had it for 3 months and drove it about 10 times and everything fine. The key fob battery died and I replaced it. Didn’t try to start it only clicked it to hear it lock and unlock then tossed the key in the garage. 4 days later I needed to move the car and started it and it ran for about 5 seconds then died.

when I try and start it, it makes no sound and the security indicator flashes. When I go to unlock with the fob, the indicator goes out and the engine turns then security indicator comes back on and engine won’t turn again. I ran through the fob reprogramming with the code in the fob and the locking and unlocking of the doors. It chimed and responded with all the correct chirps and door lock engagement, but still won’t start. All fuses are good and I also followed the unlock 6 times on the fob that’s recommended when changing batter( should have googled before I pulled the battery) and still won’t start.

Any advice on anything I may have missed or suggestions before I get it towed and get hammered by the stealership?

Appreciate any help that you can offer.

they keyless entry and the immobilizer are separate - you can reprogram the car for the key fobs, but you need a dealership or someone with a comparable tool to the SSM to program the immobilizer to recognize the key. Maybe that's the problem?

they keyless entry and the immobilizer are separate - you can reprogram the car for the key fobs, but you need a dealership or someone with a comparable tool to the SSM to program the immobilizer to recognize the key. Maybe that's the problem?

This is what I was afraid up... 4 dollar battery cost me 300 bucks.

This is what I was afraid up... 4 dollar battery cost me 300 bucks.

The keyless battery doesn't have anything to do with the immobilizer. There's a small passive "chip" inside the key that gets read by an antenna around the ignition switch. It's not uncommon for the antenna to fail and end up with the starting problems you described.

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2012_Outback/Immobilizer-Antenna/49301021/88215AJ000.html

The keyless battery doesn't have anything to do with the immobilizer. There's a small passive "chip" inside the key that gets read by an antenna around the ignition switch. It's not uncommon for the antenna to fail and end up with the starting problems you described.

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2012_Outback/Immobilizer-Antenna/49301021/88215AJ000.html

Thank you... I’ll check that out.

I’d open the key again and make sure the immobilizer chip is still in there.

Good call out... I knew nothing of the immobilized before running into this problem. I’ll take another look at the fob when I get home. Could have fallen out in my dark garage when replacing the battery. When I google images of the transponder chip, I get a lot of images of the triangular key and mine is the hex shaped key with the lock/unlock/trunk and red panic. Does this key also have the transponder chip that could have possibly fallen out?

Thanks again.

I think it's unlikely that it fell out, but anything is possible. Here's a pic...

Nailed it dude!!! Thank you so much. Found the chip in my toolbox tray. Put it back in the key and it fired right up. Really appreciate you taking the time to respond.. life saver! Thanks bro!

Nailed it dude!!! Thank you so much. Found the chip in my toolbox tray. Put it back in the key and it fired right up. Really appreciate you taking the time to respond.. life saver! Thanks bro!

Nice! Glad it wasn't the antenna.