LegacyGT.com

2019 Limited Remote Start isn't supported. Best aftermarket module? Cancel Starlink+?

My wife and I bought a CPO 2019 Subaru Legacy 2.5 Limited. We also subscribed to the Starlink Plus package, which supposedly includes features like the Remote Door Lock/Unlock, Stolen Vehicle Recovery, Remote Vehicle Locator, and Remote Car Starter. It turns out the Remote Car Starter isn't available until the 2020 Model Year.

1. What's a good aftermarket module? I've come across some recommendations in favor of the Fortin Evo One with Drone Mobile service. Would that combination disrupt any of the Starlink+ stuff (like the car alarm)?

2. Should I cancel the Starlink Plus package? We like the idea of having the Automatic Collision Detection, SOS and Remote Vehicle Locator features, but the misleading Remote Start aspect has been a major turnoff. Our Subaru salesperson was not really technologically savvy......

Thanks in advance!

Remote Start is available from Subaru as a separate, dealer-installed optional accessory for all Gen 6 Legacys. Don't blame Subaru for a salesman misleading you. Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Remote Start is available from Subaru as a separate, dealer-installed optional accessory for all Gen 6 Legacys. Don't blame Subaru for a salesman misleading you.

Isn't that the one people on this forum complain is buggy (like it shuts off the entire car when you open your car), and recommend aftermarket instead?

I installed fortin evo-one with this https://www.crimestopper.com/en/sp-502-copy on my 2017 premium and no it does not affect star link features.

I can use both rf kit 2way and mobile app.

Thank you. Would I be correct if I were to purchase the following (and have a local car alarm place do the work)?

Fortin EVO-ONE-SUB1 Remote Starter and Alarm Bypass Module

CrimeStopper TELE-CONNECT (wouldn't this be duplicative to the stock Remote Car Locator feature as part of Starlink Plus, or is the stock feature also not available in a '19 Legacy Limited?)

Isn't that the one people on this forum complain is buggy (like it shuts off the entire car when you open your car) ...

The Subaru remote start isn't "buggy"; it's designed that way, as an anti-theft feature. Whether that's objectionable or not is up to you. The biggest plus for the Subaru remote start is that it's "plug and play," while every aftermarket unit that I know of requires hacking into the car's wiring. Your car, your choice.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Thank you. Would I be correct if I were to purchase the following (and have a local car alarm place do the work)?

Fortin EVO-ONE-SUB1 Remote Starter and Alarm Bypass Module

CrimeStopper TELE-CONNECT (wouldn't this be duplicative to the stock Remote Car Locator feature as part of Starlink Plus, or is the stock feature also not available in a '19 Legacy Limited?)

our Link from Crutchfield not showing fortin evo one.

The tele-connect is like star link except the remote starting which starlink doesn’t have.

Do you have the push start model?if so just wanna let you know that it shuts off your car when you open your door when you remote start.

I actually preferred it that way where the car shuts off if I open the driver’s door.

It rarely happened for me since I start it and it’s at least 20 mins before I come out so it’s off already but it’s warm. I hate running it twice so I never restarted it.

The Subaru remote start isn't "buggy"; it's designed that way, as an anti-theft feature. Whether that's objectionable or not is up to you. The biggest plus for the Subaru remote start is that it's "plug and play," while every aftermarket unit that I know of requires hacking into the car's wiring. Your car, your choice.

Thank you. I hadn't thought of it that way (some of the other posters in past threads referred to it as buggy and didn't appreciate how it worked). I actually like the concept and will go for the Subaru OEM version instead.

How much does Subaru roughly charge for parts & installation of this OEM module?

Will this Subaru OEM part allow it to work with Starlink Plus?

Will there be a different key fob or same one?

How much does Subaru roughly charge for parts & installation of this OEM module?

MSRP on the remote start kit itself (part number H001SAL102 for 2019 Legacy/Outback with push button start) is $370. I don't know how much your dealer would charge for installation. Since your salesman told you your Outback already included remote start, they might be willing to install it for free. Call and ask.

If you're an experienced gearhead, it is possible to install the remote start kit yourself, but you'll still have to pay a dealer to register it with the onboard anti-theft system. See: https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/doc/accInstallGuide/H001SAL102%20Push%20Start%20RES%20Install%20Ins%204280842%20Rev%20-%20ENG_FRN%203-23-18.pdf

Will this Subaru OEM part allow it to work with Starlink Plus?
No.

Will there be a different key fob or same one?
There are two separate "long range" fobs included in the kit. You may (or may not) be able to use your standard fob at short range. Edited by ammcinnis

spacer.png

I have a compustar remote starter with drone mobile. Drone mobile will allow you to track your car if you want to pay for that subscription level. Make sure a reputable shop does the install and she'll run just fine. My install was ~500 all in. Took about four hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 15 legacy and I had a CL6 remote start installed. Should not have any issues integrating with your system and not interfere with starlink. The bonus of this system is you can use a smartphone app to start your car or use your key fob. It also shows a satellite view of the location of the car. Yes it is a $40 a year subscription or $99 for 3 years but imho it’s totally worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MSRP on the remote start kit itself (part number H001SAL102 for 2019 Legacy/Outback with push button start) is $370. I don't know how much your dealer would charge for installation. Since your salesman told you your Outback already included remote start, they might be willing to install it for free. Call and ask.

If you're an experienced gearhead, it is possible to install the remote start kit yourself, but you'll still have to pay a dealer to register it with the onboard anti-theft system. See: https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/doc/accInstallGuide/H001SAL102%20Push%20Start%20RES%20Install%20Ins%204280842%20Rev%20-%20ENG_FRN%203-23-18.pdf

No.

There are two separate "long range" fobs included in the kit. You may (or may not) be able to use your standard fob at short range.

Thanks for those instructions. I'm going to install Remote engine start tomorrow after work and this will help me a lot.

Thanks for those instructions. I'm going to install Remote engine start tomorrow after work and this will help me a lot.

Careful! Make sure you have the correct installation instructions for your Legacy/Outback's model year and the particular remote start version you have; there are several. You can download installation instructions free from STIS.

Edited by ammcinnis

spacer.png

Careful! Make sure you have the correct installation instructions for your Outback's model year and the particular remote start version you have; there are several. You can download installation instructions free from STIS.

I have turn key 2018 legacy and my remote starter part ends with 02 so I believe I have everything correct. Those instructions are a little vague around the part where you connect harness to ignition but i suspect they will make more sense when I am looking at actual thing. I dont suppose there is any walkthrough out there?

Well it wasnt as bad as I thought it will be although what took the longest was installing actual remote unit and existing relay bracket on top of it. There is like no room there whatsoever. If it wasnt for all that I think whole install job would take probably around one hour. I also had help from my buddy. Now tomorrow off to dealership Hopefully they can do it without appointment. I really wish I could rent that diagnostic tool :p

EDIT

Dealer charged me $66. So altogether everything was $356, parts and reprogram.

Edited by Przemek