LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

I had an 85 Supra P-Type back in the day. Here are some scan pictures of mine. I did a JDM 6M-GE engine swap (3.0L displacement vs stock 2.8L) after my original motor started burning oil. I really liked my Supra, I thought it was fun car for what it was. It was geared pretty high. I learned a lot wrenching on that car.

SCN_0005.thumb.jpg.0d95d7764c80cf04ca39d925a16813d5.jpg

SCN_0006.thumb.jpg.a994c7698d943063900166ec1ac52b24.jpg

SCN_0010.thumb.jpg.a9995f1e038e7b584a3173dc53f68e0b.jpg

SCN_0009.thumb.jpg.144e242d5b9cd24222b32d252e0a01aa.jpg

What motor is in the Celica GT, 1JZ motor?
I believe the 81-85 GT got the 4cyl 22RE. Regular Celica, GT and GT-S I believe all got the same with the GT and up getting IRS. The Supra got the 6cyl 7MGTE. To my knowledge none ever got the 1JZ until later generations when the Supra split off from the Celica which became FWD.

Y'all over here building sweet track cars.. mean while I'm over here wondering if it'd be doable to put a WRX drivetrain and engine in an El-Camino lmao.

Just put a 454 or a 502 in there. My cousin had a El Camino (street/drag car) we put in a 502 glider. My old 76 Nova SS manual trans had a 454 twins chargers

Edited by amusa

Y'all over here building sweet track cars.. mean while I'm over here wondering if it'd be doable to put a WRX drivetrain and engine in an El-Camino lmao.
That would be a twin turbo h6 platform for sure!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I seem to be going a little nuts looking for a wheel set up.

I started here:

https://www.fitmentindustries.com/buy-wheel-offset2/F27188510HGM40/MIC03481/f1r-f27-gunmetal-18x85-40-michelin-pilot-sport-4-s-245-45zr18?

Then, I read around here that the F1R wheels aren't that great and I think they must be gravity cast wheels, but I can't seem to find confirmation about it. I liked them and some subtle parts of the design less and less after finding out those things. Although, I really like how the wheel dishes in to the center cap.

I continued down the road and saw this set of Option Lab wheels:

https://www.fitmentindustries.com/buy-wheel-offset2/L16-88580-40-MGM/15499860000/option-lab-r716-gray-18x85-40-continental-extremecontact-dws06-245-45zr18?

I can't find out if these in particular wheels are low pressure cast or flow formed?

I'm not 100% on the sharp aggressive lines of the wheel, but I do like it as well...

Now, I'm at this point with the TSW Bathurst:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tsw+bathurst+18x8+35&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS717US762&sxsrf=ALeKk01IBKba3gd1skW83kOA1Ps2YSglaw:1588130951034&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiVs8Xp2IzpAhVLGs0KHYphDx0Q_AUoAnoECAwQBA&biw=960&bih=532

Pretty much a smoother more quality version of the F1R wheels I had as the first choice.

Not sure if they are worth the extra $500 compared to the other wheels...?

I'm kind of trying to stay with either a 18"x8"x35 offset or 18"x8.5"x40 offset wheel. That and the 5x100 makes it an interesting problem to solve.

Anyone have any other wheels for my list?:)

Edited by stewdogg

The TSW wheels are flow formed/spin forged/rotary forged or whatever they want to call it. Essentially the barrel starts off as a chunk of cast metal and it gets pressed into shape while being spun. Gives the metal tighter molecular structure. It's like forging without the high cost and creates a lighter/stronger wheel. Enkei does this on their RPF1 and PF01 (racing wheels). Plus many others. Many manufacturers offer a similar process. Always a good habit to check out wheel weights. Lighter will always give better performance accelarating, braking and handling.

In the 5th gen photos section aftermarket wheel thread someone has the Option Labs, last page. Worth looking at if ya have not yet.

If the TSWs are that much lighter, go for them. They've been around some time now. Konig offers decent price wheels and flow forging, not sure if that goes together.

Wheels are always a pain, spend weeks/months looking for the right bolt pattern, width/offset, style, weight, price, color, compliments the car...

Good luck in your search!

The F1R wheels are trash. And they are either going to be heavy, fragile or both. TSW and Konig are both well respected companies that make reasonably priced well built wheels. I've been running Konig Torch since 2014 and have been very happy with the quality and weight for a modestly priced wheel.

2d6b6c317ec888d8d5341df5acb8b98e.jpg

The TSW wheels are flow formed/spin forged/rotary forged or whatever they want to call it. Essentially the barrel starts off as a chunk of cast metal and it gets pressed into shape while being spun. Gives the metal tighter molecular structure. It's like forging without the high cost and creates a lighter/stronger wheel. Enkei does this on their RPF1 and PF01 (racing wheels). Plus many others. Many manufacturers offer a similar process. Always a good habit to check out wheel weights. Lighter will always give better performance accelarating, braking and handling.

In the 5th gen photos section aftermarket wheel thread someone has the Option Labs, last page. Worth looking at if ya have not yet.

If the TSWs are that much lighter, go for them. They've been around some time now. Konig offers decent price wheels and flow forging, not sure if that goes together.

Wheels are always a pain, spend weeks/months looking for the right bolt pattern, width/offset, style, weight, price, color, compliments the car...

Good luck in your search!

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it! I did see the Option Lab wheels in the photo section and they look good, just a little aggressively sharp/pointy design for me.

The TSW Bathurst's are 18lbs and I'm sure that would be a nice change from the stockers at around 25lbs.

I like the Koing Rennform's too, they're 20.4lbs, but cheaper by $550... wheels are a pain to decide on for sure!

The F1R wheels are trash. And they are either going to be heavy, fragile or both. TSW and Konig are both well respected companies that make reasonably priced well built wheels. I've been running Konig Torch since 2014 and have been very happy with the quality and weight for a modestly priced wheel.

2d6b6c317ec888d8d5341df5acb8b98e.jpg

That Torch is a good looking wheel. Are they gloss or matte black?

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it! I did see the Option Lab wheels in the photo section and they look good, just a little aggressively sharp/pointy design for me.

The TSW Bathurst's are 18lbs and I'm sure that would be a nice change from the stockers at around 25lbs.

I like the Koing Rennform's too, they're 20.4lbs, but cheaper by $550... wheels are a pain to decide on for sure!

That Torch is a good looking wheel. Are they gloss or matte black?

They are kind of a satin black. Definitely not flat or gloss.

Just put a 454 or a 502 in there. My cousin had a El Camino (street/drag car) we put in a 502 glider. My old 76 Nova SS manual trans had a 454 twins chargers

I'd love a long block or big block set up in any frame really someday. But I've been digging the Brat and Baja type rally configurations which led me to a similar frame in the Camino. Kind of the middle ground really, 2 door with a bed. It'd probably be pretty easy to source parts from an older WRX.

I'm biased because they are the local shop I go to, but I'm really a fan of the Mach V Crucials, one of their newer wheels (they have them in 5x100): https://www.fastwrx.com/products/mach-v-crucial-18x9-5-5x114

I've really wanted these on my Legacy but have justified purchasing new wheels yet. Maybe when my tread life is up, which will be in 3 years with Rona haha

I'd love a long block or big block set up in any frame really someday. But I've been digging the Brat and Baja type rally configurations which led me to a similar frame in the Camino. Kind of the middle ground really, 2 door with a bed. It'd probably be pretty easy to source parts from an older WRX.

I'm biased because they are the local shop I go to, but I'm really a fan of the Mach V Crucials, one of their newer wheels (they have them in 5x100): https://www.fastwrx.com/products/mach-v-crucial-18x9-5-5x114

I've really wanted these on my Legacy but have justified purchasing new wheels yet. Maybe when my tread life is up, which will be in 3 years with Rona haha

I like. I wanted the similar Rota Gravel and Mach V was sold out, all the way up the chain to the factory, and they hadn’t come out with the Crucial yet so I went with the Enkei 10-spoke. Do you know who makes the wheel for them?

I would not call it similar frame. El'Camino use a full frame and the Baja uses a sub frame. There going to be allot of fab work involved. The weight on the El'Camino is very heavy. Not sure if the Subaru boxer will be the ideal motor for it. Even if you can drop the boxer motor in. You know how much room (space) you will have in the El'Camino engine bay compartment?

I'm sorry if I got off the wrong foot here. I'm trying to understand why?

Edited by amusa

I would not call it similar frame. El'Camino use a full frame and the Baja uses a sub frame. There going to be allot of fab work involved. The weight on the El'Camino is very heavy. Not sure if the Subaru boxer will be the ideal motor for it. Even if you can drop the boxer motor in. You know how much room (space) you will have in the El'Camino engine bay compartment?

I'm sorry if I got off the wrong foot here. I'm trying to understand why?

i'm not involved in the conversation, but...a turbo boxer awd el camino would be a hoot. the small, relatively lighter engine up front would give you better weight distribution, and 250-300 horsepower would be plenty of pep. it's the better part of unfeasible to do, but the concept is hilarious

With all that room, that sounds like a good opportunity for a turbo EZ30 or EZ36. Not sure if AWD would be feasible, at least not with a Subaru transmission, the front axle may be too far forward. Then again, I've seen stuff where people have made the front wheels chain-driven, so anything is possible.

yeah you'd have to ditch the trans for sure...with the wheel wells so far forward you could probably run the manual transmission from a 1st gen cayenne with all its fun weird goodness. would need to make a *lot* of room in the transmission tunnel for it, but would let you set that engine back nice and far for better weight, and would just need a custom length driveshaft to the front. obviously a gross oversimplification, but there's systems out there that could be modified to get AWD in there without having to resort to chain drives and janky stuff

To me it's to much fab work and to much money where it's cheaper to throw in a 427, 454, or even a 502 (502 have to remove Air Cond). Then you have to run a ECU/PCM all cable management, etc. Like I said to much money and time effort.

I have done full restoration and customize a few cars in my life time. Trust me these muscle car guy's will be like WTH or WTF is this.

Edited by amusa

oh, i don't think anyone's talking about actually doing this crap, just a fun thought experiment. but it would be fun to watch the muscle car guys flip shit when you roll up in a subaru and porsche powered awd el camino

oh, i don't think anyone's talking about actually doing this crap, just a fun thought experiment. but it would be fun to watch the muscle car guys flip shit when you roll up in a subaru and porsche powered awd el camino

That would give me a good chuckle :lol:

Alright, I think I have my wheel/tire decision down...

I was looking at the Enkei TS9, but Fitment didn't have my size in stock and they were told by Enkei that the TS9 is discontinued.

I looked into the Enkei TSP6, but couldn't find it in my size and was told by Enkei that they wouldn't be back in stock for a minimum of 4-6 weeks.

That brought me back to the TSW Bathurst, it's a pretty light wheel at 18lbs. The wheel is 18"x8" 35 and I'm trying to decide between a 235/45 or a 245/45 on that wheel...? What would the difference be? From what I've read I think the 235 would be more squared off in looks. Does the different sidewall shape give a tighter feel or something or does one have a benefit over the other?