LegacyGT.com

Upgraded Turbo Oil Feed lines

I have already purchased all the components to make my oil feed supply come from a sandwich plate on the oil filter. Doing some extra research i found that people are saying that this setup is overkill and not needed with a stock turbo. Right now I am building a long block for my car and i have already rebuilt a vf40 turbo that will be going on the car. All of my banjo bolt filters have been removed and I have had no problems with the stock oil feed system. In probably a year's time, I will be upgrading my turbo to a BCP x400 or x500. I know that I will be able to run the stock turbo on stock lines without a problem. My question is does the bigger turbo need a more efficient oil feed system than stock can provide, and if so would i see any detrimental affects running the upgraded oil feed on the stock turbo to make the turbo swap easier in the future, and since i already have the stuff. I have also heard concerns of over oiling which doesn't make much sense to me, because it seems like with a journal bearing turbo you would want as much oil flow as possible to keep clean cool oil between the bearings. Is this over oiling a valid concern?

The vf40 has a orifice in the banjo bolt at the turbo.

The new turbo may have the same basic set, but may have a larger hole in the orifice.

Contact the manufacture or shop your buying from and ask them.

Years ago in the race car as well as a friends car I put a pressure gauge in the supply line and a shut off valve before the turbo. When a got the correct oil flow by adjusting the shut off valve. I removed the handle so you could not move the shut off valve.

Here's one of the editions of the set up, DSCF0313.thumb.jpg.7aa6ecb8d84bb0ed66d4a61244d1307d.jpg

Here's an idea of shut off valves.

https://www.bing.com/shop?q=shut+off+valve&FORM=SHOPTB

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yes, the shut off just metering valve at that point.

The gauge was after the shut off valve. Once I found the spot, (it was easy), I removed the gauge set up.

The friends street Integra I left the gauge on and he drove it for many years.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yes, the shut off just metering valve at that point.

The gauge was after the shut off valve. Once I found the spot, (it was easy), I removed the gauge set up.

The friends street Integra I left the gauge on and he drove it for many years.

What are you supposed to be looking for when dialing in your oil pressure? In other words how do I know what oil pressure to set it to?