LegacyGT.com

A New Recall on Airbag Inflators

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/09/us/subaru-2020-recall-airbag-explode-trnd/index.html

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-recalls-defects/subaru-recalls-nearly-500000-vehicles-to-replace-defective-airbags-again/

...Subaru is recalling 497,922 vehicles to replace front passenger airbag inflators. These same vehicles were part of a recall in which defective Takata airbag inflators received temporary replacements until permanent ones were available.

...The same crop of cars were recalled in 2015 for the same reason, though their airbag inflators were replaced with the same defective Takata design then, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said...

Vehicles Recalled

2009 to 2013 Subaru Forester

2003 to 2006 Subaru Baja

2004 to 2011 Subaru Impreza

2004 to 2014 Subaru WRX (Including STi models)

2003 to 2014 Subaru Legacy

2003 to 2014 Subaru Outback

2005 to 2006 Saab 9-2X

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/2nd-airbag-recall.518123/

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/outback-recall-for-airbags-just-saw-at-consumer-reports.517958/#post-5923467

Short version: In the execution of the earlier phases of the first WQR53 recall campaign, Takata supplied replacement airbags to the automakers for a while that were a like-for-like replacement - they had the old, problematic propellant in them. They didn't tell anyone initially until it was discovered in a congressional inquiry in June 2015. Surprisingly, even then everyone was allowed to use up the supply they had in stock, at which point they switched recalls over to the proper propellant.

Thus, the number of vehicles that will have to be done again is pretty significant. They initially divided into three zones on the initial WQR53 recall, i.e.

Zone A states and territories have a 6-9 year degradation estimate of the propellant and are highest priority for getting replacements: Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, Peurto Rico, Samoa, Guam, Saipan, US Virgin Islands

Zone B states and territories have a 10-15 year degradation estimate and are second priority: Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, DC, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia

Zone C states and territories have a 15-20 year degradation estimate and are third priority: Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming

I'm in zone C, and I still will have to do it all over again this year.

For WQR53 recall, look at your paperwork given to you on the first round to determine if you will need to do it again:

part number 98279AG05A does not contain non-desiccated ammonium nitrate and will not require replacement.

part number 98279AG00A does contain it, and will be recalled again

Wow..just had my dash and bag replaced 2 years ago. And finally got all the switches plugged back in they missed, plus stop it rattling like a baby toy after they did it. Fml.....

Don't have my paperwork anymore after I moved last year. Tempted to get in there and check the part number on it

Edited by KRM
Extend my rant

When I looked up the procedure online, I didn't see a part number on the inflator itself, just a serial number. It's possible the part number is on there, just not visible in the pictures I saw. I'd contact the dealer that did the work, or takata/Subaru could maybe tell you the part number from the serial number.

I regret the recall as well. I did it in 2017 and I know it’s not completely their fault but they messed up all the wiring for my gauges (which were not in the way by any means) and didn’t have the guts to tell me sorry or anything and the dash rattle also came back with a vengeance. I do carry a passenger pretty often and I was concerned but if there’s any way to buy it yourself, I’d look into it.

Pretty crazy. I had my airbag replaced in February, 2016. Found the paperwork from it, looks like I got one of the ...G00A parts. Looked up my VIN at both the NHTSA and Subaru websites, and yep, looks like my car will be recalled again.

My local dealership actually did a fine job replacing it the first time, hopefully they can do it again.

You can look your VIN up at https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls and/or https://www.subaru.com/vehicle-recalls.html and you should be able to find out if your car will be recalled again or not.

Edited by csaari

Both of my cars had the original recall completed and both need the new one according to the vin checks.

I have no problem getting it fixed but wish Subaru would have been more transparent that the original repair was just a stop gap to buy time.

For my Impreza it was no big deal and took a few hours. For my legacy, it was a poor repair. The techs cut all of my aftermarket gauge wires abd some stereo wires as well and pf course didn't say anything. Upon pickup they tried to tell me they were not working when I brought the car in. I'll be sure to talk with the service advisor before I have this service done.

Looks like mine falls under this as well. I wonder how many more screws I'll be missing when they're done. They literally put about half the screws back in (nav unit missing 2, cluster and bezel, center console was not fastened down properly, etc.) I haven't got around to taking everything apart and fixing the misaligned parts so I guess I'll have to do that before I take it back. I'm going to take the service advisor out to the car prior to leaving it with them and calmly explain my foot will go up someone's ass if they **** my car up like that again. Sorry, but my interior was flawless prior to the recall and dash replacement.

I'm kind of bored and have been wondering to myself, when the transition between the 00A part and the 05A part was. I got mine replaced in September of 2018 and my paperwork says I have the new 05A inflator. I also procrastinated because I never have passengers in my car.

outahere - November 2018 - new part #

Me - September 2018 - new part #

infosecdad - February 2017 - new part #

csaari - Feb 2016 - old part #

jaylew - 2016 - old part #

Edited by apexi

I looked at my paper work...mine was in 2016 and damn, I have to go back. I have the passenger airbag always armed (tricking the occupant system since I have 07 seats in an 05) so I hope no one notices when I bring it in

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

I received my official recall notice in the mail today.

I find it interesting they have to actually look at it to see if it is in fact one of the "like-for-like" replacements. I guess it's just a double check, instead of just going by the part numbers in the paperwork.

I also find it interesting that they say "Our records indicate that the vehicles included in this safety recall may have had an interim ("like-for-like") repair performed under a previous air bag recall, to reduce the risk of injury before final remedy parts were available." I don't recall anyone ever saying back at the time of the original recall that the first replacement was just temporary.

Oh well, guess I'll be seeing how quickly it can be taken care of.

recall2020.thumb.jpg.7c903445a3b98cee1d92683473eb2aa8.jpg

Any idea if this also affects the Canadian market ?

Looks like it does. I found this....

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search-recherche/detail.aspx?lang=eng&mk=2510&md=LEGACY&fy=2004&ty=2010&ft=&ls=0&sy=0&rn=2020001&cf=SearchResult&pg=0

At the bottom of the web page, it links to Subaru of Canada's page where you can look up your VIN.

Just got my letter this week. My dash isn't perfect, but it was made less perfect during the first recall. Can't wait for this one.

They gouged my dash and scratched my radio in the first recall...

All they need to do is remove the glove box to get to the air bag right? Maybe I should do all the trim removal myself before hand.

I thought I remembered hearing something about removing the cubby/vents in the center too.. If they remove those instead, or in addition to make it faster and easier.

Edit: I'm bored, here's one thing I remember reading. Post #164 & 166

My dealer is taking the passenger side air bag out through the cubby hole without removing the dash....

Remove glovebox

remove center cubby

remove right side vent

unbolt airbag

remove through cubby hole

Takes them 45min at the most

Quoting the person above

That's what the tech at the dealer told me they do.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/takata-airbag-recall-now-includes-2005-2008-legacy-and-outback-248366p5.html

Edited by apexi

I've got a full aftermarket audio setup including the JDM double-din kit and I'm not looking forward to bringing this in. Obviously I'll remove the radio and JDM kit but there's a lot of non-original wiring I don't want the tech to have to deal with.

The new dessicated inflators being installed this year may be subject to a 3rd recall in the future! What a mess!

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/01/14/takata-replacement-airbags-recalled/

...The 10 million inflator recall made public in early January 2020 covers inflators that were a temporary fix. The figure includes some replacement modules that never made it into customer vehicles. Several automakers, including Subaru, have already initiated campaigns to replace the previously recalled inflators with updated parts...

...Under a 2015 consent order, Takata had to provide data to U.S. regulators by Dec. 31, 2019 about whether tens of millions of additional so-called desiccated inflators need to be recalled.

Acting NHTSA Administrator James Owens told Reuters the agency was reviewing data on the desiccated inflators and talking to automakers.

"We are going to lean in on safety and if we detect a safety problem we will immediately take action," Owens said, adding that the agency could make a decision early in 2020.

An independent group after five years of testing inflators told NHTSA in October 2019 there was "no immediate safety risk" to the inflators with a drying agent but added "out of an abundance of caution, we recommend a well-designed monitoring program."

Owens said NHTSA may announce new monitoring.

https://www.bendbulletin.com/business/another-massive-takata-recall-looms-for-large-batch-of-air/article_4d8c6aeb-de94-5b18-a87b-e310119d53fb.html

...If the supplier [TK Services, the entity left with bankrupted Takata's operations] can't demonstrate the safety or durability of newer desiccant-equipped inflators, the U.S. agency may order that they be recalled as well. The total bill for another massive recall could reach tens of billions of dollars, with carmakers bearing the brunt of the costs.

"NHTSA is carefully reviewing information regarding the safety of desiccated inflators to determine appropriate next steps," the agency said. It typically takes the NHSTA as long as 6 to 12 months to issue an official recall after it collects enough data.

"NHTSA reserves the right to order Takata to phase out of the manufacture and sale of the desiccated Takata PSAN inflators if NHTSA determines that such a phase out is required by the Safety Act," the agency said in the consent order.

A group of automakers involved in the recalls commissioned durability tests of the desiccant-equipped air bags and presented their findings to NHTSA in early October. The group, known as the Independent Testing Coalition, found that the drying agent provided significant protection. The group recommended a monitoring program for one inflator design in the riskiest climates while telling NHSTA that it believes the parts present no immediate safety risk.

"After 30 years of predicted aging, none of the studied inflator designs and propellant combinations predicted detrimental effects, except those subjected to the most severe conditions and vehicle temperature," David Kelly, the ITC's program director and a former NHTSA acting administrator, said in an October statement.

Edited by outahere