LegacyGT.com

Trailer Hitch!!!!

Well, I think it’s about time I purchase a trailer hitch for my Legacy GT :(. I really really don’t want to do it because of the looks and weight of impacting performance. I will only be using it to cart around my new KTM dirt bike and mountain bike. I have installed a curt hitch on my wife’s MDX but would be nearly impossible for me to be able to use it if I want to go to the trails or get service work done as she can’t drive my 6 speed :(. Looks like the EcoHitch or Curt hitch are best options. Anyone with experience with both for quality and fitment? Is the EcoHitch that much more hidden than the Curt? Here’s is what will be on the back of the Scoob and carrier I will be using. I think I’ll have to stiffen up the rear Konis though lol!

53dd635ae60c8f76da886fa3eaa4026b.jpg0727e9db2319a7cb62e3f73fd06c5e9c.jpgc2ebc361cc7d587a6447e237a8a65057.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the curt 1.25" hitch and the big difference in that and the ecohitch is not being able to see the hitch bar. Otherwise, the 1.25" receiver hangs just as low on the ecohitch for twice the price or more.

On the install I did remove the rear bumper cover and crash bar to save myself having to drill the large holes in the frame to fish the supports through. It was still relatively easy to do, and I use the hitch as a rear jacking point.

Right, looks like tongue weight on the eco is half of the Curt hitch but doing the math the EcoHitch just has enough to support a carrier and dirt bike. Maybe the Curt for piece of mind.

The Subaru Legacy has a limited tongue weight. I have read on the outback forums that forum members have bent their frame from exceeding the tongue weight. I think the tongue weight is limitation is 200# which includes the assembly and carrier. (The tongue weight is listed in the owners manual) I don't know how much your dirt bike weighs, but I am guessing you will be exceed it. The carrier is fine for bikes.

Personally I would get a small trailer for the dirt bike. The eco hitch looks much better to me. Every time I see a Legacy on the road with a Curt Hitch, the bracing that hangs down sticks out like a sore thumb.

Edited by dgoodhue

I know Joe, wife has already squashed that idea. That’s why I bought a 6x12 trailer and use her MDX to cart around my toys and general stuff. You think it’s a bad idea to hitch and attach a carrier? You have a Curt hitch right?

The Subaru Legacy has a limited tongue weight. I have read on the outback forums that forum members have bent their frame from exceeding the tongue weight. I think the tongue weight is limitation is 200# which includes the assembly and carrier. (The tongue weight is listed in the owners manual) I don't know how much your dirt bike weighs, but I am guessing you will be exceed it. The carrier is fine for bikes.

Personally I would get a small trailer for the dirt bike. The eco hitch looks much better to me. Every time I see a Legacy on the road with a Curt Hitch, the bracing that hangs down sticks out like a sore thumb.

Ahhh, just saw this post after Joes lol! Yeah the tongue weight with the bike would be about 300# so guess I’ll buy a smaller trailer just for bike

I had a 1-1/4" EcoHitch, but I got rid of it when I got the Fozz with a 1-1/4" OEM hitch, and now that the Fozz is gone I have the GX with a 2", so basically I can tow up to 5000# without issue. The 1-1/4"" EcoHitch was pretty benign on the back of the car. The 2" would be bigger obviously but still far better than the Curt ugliness. And with a 6x12 trailer, I'd say definitely a 2". I ran a 4x8 trailer with my 1-1/4" and that was just right for the GT and Fozz. If I had to do it again, I would have gone with the 2" just because it's a much more stable base for a mountain bike rack.

My suggestion for a MTB rack is a 1UP-USA rack like I have for the GX now. https://www.1up-usa.com/

dgoodhue is absolutely right, the mx bike is going to be too heavy for the GT to rack it on the hitch. A trailer is the only way to go for the motorcycle.

Here is my EcoHitch install and pics. https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5207388&postcount=38

Edited by GTEASER

Awesome advice everyone thank you!! Glad I didn’t make any stupid impulse buys with that carrier option before consulting the professionals first ;). Not sure what I was thinking throwing an MX bike on the back of a carrier. Prob just grab a small tow behind specific bike trailer :)

Yes, the old the-best-boat-is-someone-else’s-boat model.

I was able to convince the wife that it would make more sense to buy a truck than to load 3 kayaks on top of the LGT or her Ascent, even if they’d fit. Bought a ‘12 Nissan Frontier and have used it a lot. Of course, part of that usage is rationalizing the purchase after the fact, since follow-through is key to marital harmony. But one thing she will never go for is a motorcycle, due to her father being a firefighter/EMT and telling stories of scraping riders off I-77 or unwrapping them from trees in the middle of the woods. So, yeah, kayaks...