LegacyGT.com

Trunk not closing all of a sudden?

Wife came from a store and the trunk does not want to close. You drop it down and it just bounces back. It’ll close maybe once in 10 tries.

I checked the mechanism on the trunk lid side and it appears to move freely. If I “lock it” while opened, it properly unlocks with a button or remote but then just would not close?

Do I need to replace the lid side trunk latch mechanism?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wife came from a store and the trunk does not want to close. You drop it down and it just bounces back. It’ll close maybe once in 10 tries.

I checked the mechanism on the trunk lid side and it appears to move freely. If I “lock it” while opened, it properly unlocks with a button or remote but then just would not close?

Do I need to replace the lid side trunk latch mechanism?

There's a couple of things I would try, but I'm not sure how much it will help. Try using Silicone Spray/White Lithium Grease on the latch & on the part where it closes on top of the bumper. I would also check the button in the glove compartment that locks and unlocks the trunk, maybe that is causing an issue?

Thank you! Yeah, tried lubricating and no help (in fact I think it is worse now, LOL).

I tried the button in the glove compartment; but that is really only for making the inside button not open the trunk, right? Anyway - it seem to have made no difference at all.

Definitely nothing is in the way of closing.

Had similar issue once

Check the emergency latch release that’s inside the trunk. (Right above the latch)

Pull on it a couple of times and lock it back into place. That’s what helped mine go back to normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had similar issue once

Check the emergency latch release that’s inside the trunk. (Right above the latch)

Pull on it a couple of times and lock it back into place. That’s what helped mine go back to normal.

That right there might be the reason why this is a problem. About two months ago, we found the emergency handle thing in the trunk. It never fit right again; and I think it is because of the wire that held it in place. I’m going to get the new latch mechanism and replace it, as it is all together. Will report back!

That right there might be the reason why this is a problem. About two months ago, we found the emergency handle thing in the trunk. It never fit right again; and I think it is because of the wire that held it in place. I’m going to get the new latch mechanism and replace it, as it is all together. Will report back!

I had a hard time putting it back together, but after a few mins, it went back into place.

So did that solve the issue you were having?

After pulling it a couple times and re clipping it back into place, yes. It did solve the issue.

Couple years later on after that issue, when I went to replace the trunk brake lights, I forgot to latch it back up and had the same issue of it not locking. As soon as it happened, noticed I forgot to properly seat it and it came off the clips holding it. As soon as it’s clipped in, it locked shut.

Kinda annoying, but it is what it is.

Same thing happened to me a year or two ago. I replaced the latch mechanism in the trunk lid and it seemed to help for a bit, but after a while started having the exact same problem again. It looked like it turned out the little bar in the trunk that it latches against had either moved, or been bent forward and the latch wouldn't catch it just right. I got a hammer out and banged the bar towards the rear several times and it's been working ever since. Been at least a year now. I don't know if opening it and closing it at least twice a day for seven years bent the trunk floor or moved the hook (kept my work laptop back there) or not, but it seemed to do the trick.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay - problem solved. What you need is Subaru part 57530AJ00A. Then:

1. Take the trunk internal trim off (pop off plastic holders by slightly popping out the middle and then pulling the whole thing out) - you might want to leave the middle one in just for stability.
  2. Take out the trunk handle by prying out the side that is closer to the front of the car (side away from you when you have the trunk lid open).
  3. Take the trunk trim off.
  4. Unplug the electrical harness to the latch.
  5. Unscrew two 10mm bolts that hold the latch assembly.

Now you can navigate the latch out and observe that there is a cable with a ball on the end that needs to be taken out and put into the new latch. To do that, you can use a small screwdriver to navigate the cable out of the notch inside and then open the latch mechanism to be able to remove the cable.

The latch mechanism has a cover that kind of pivots; to pivot it, see this photo. The red arrow shows the metal bump that extends through the black plastic (that plastic is the cover that pivots). All that you have to do is push the cover over that bump in the directions of green arrows.

y4mEV67u1PXtj8NvyLsb-9l2LzzHK2WV2F8CG7ts81VA-TXfFCYjv0M8RArWZ_7N5lk-tr87FxxoOlOMbKYEcK5IMmPsylo_pja-feuB7FQiYLfWdZUX8ZGt5v3debL67fQX26i89WlKJd-tBZBpYqJU38BCaXtdQ7nVGzStWHxn4VWtY5xOoexeewbCiSxKTbN?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none

Once that is done (you almost feel like you'll need 3 hands for this but I did it by myself OK) then it is a matter of guiding the cable out of the old latch, putting the cable into the notch in the mechanism and wedging the cable secure, closing the latch mechanism back up and then screwing it back onto the trunk lid. Torque (if you care):

7.5 (0.76, 5.5)

N·m (kgf-m, ft-lb)

MAKE SURE TO PLUG IN THE ELECTRICAL HARNESS BEFORE TESTING THIS.

Then put it all back together and that's it.

Edited by bigboy292000