LegacyGT.com

Best budget brake upgrades?

Hi there folks!

New to this forum but I've been working on and rebuilding cars for 15 yrs or so. I now have several Subarus, all Legacy,01,04 and 09. I've got some new slotted and drilled front rotors for the 09 but I'm looking for an inexpensive front caliper upgrade using the stock wheels and tires. Any ideas? Thanks in advance! Dan

I would be interested in the same thing, although I suspect there is no such thing as an inexpensive caliper upgrade.

I wonder if anyone has tried the rebuilt OEM calipers available from PowerStop? Click on the Caliper option at the link below.

https://www.powerstop.com/products/#y=2009&mk=SUBARU&mo=LEGACY&ss=2.5GT%2C%20Spec%20B%2C%203.0R%20Limited&p=Front%20%26%20Rear

you don’t clarify whether you have a GT or not. the GT has the largest subaru brakes short of brembos. bang for buck you’re going to get the best improvement in both performance and feel from from high quality pads, MC brace and SS lines. if you have a 2.5i upgrading to the GT brakes would be an inexpensive way to get a lot more braking power.

Akebono ceramics. They're not expensive, they don't dust very much, quiet, and they stop fine. I have them on mine with Centric cryo blanks and they work great. I also run the Motul 600 fluid with SS hoses and Ti shims.

I don't know if I would run the pads on the track as I think you would be sorely lacking at high speeds.

Spec B is an upgrade over the regular and GT brakes, the calipers are better but allow the use of larger rotors (and the rears let you use vented instead of solid rear disc). I'd also invest in a Grimmspeed master cyl brace, I was skeptical but it really makes a huge difference.

Spec B is an upgrade over the regular and GT brakes, the calipers are better but allow the use of larger rotors (and the rears let you use vented instead of solid rear disc). I'd also invest in a Grimmspeed master cyl brace, I was skeptical but it really makes a huge difference.
Pretty sure this isn't true the GT, the spec b and the 3.0R Limited all have the same brakes in USDM. The base 2 5i has smaller front rotors and none vented but same size rotors in the rear.

The 3.0R in Canada got the same brakes as the 2.5i.

To answer the OP, upgrading the front rotors and calipers to the GT version will give you bigger/better front brakes. This is what I will likely do in the future. I'm not going to bother doing the rears in the short term due to it not really having any effect on better braking. You really only need vented to cool the brakes quicker and unless you are driving it hard with lot of braking/track days etc. Then you won't heat up the rears enough to need vented. The rest in the rear is equal so it won't gain anything in the rear for better braking.

Edited by nevets27

Best thing to start with. Tires. Tires are the most important thing to stop your car. Them after that hawk pads and dba blank rotors

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This times one billion. Are the brakes on the non-GT that bad? I've always told myself "If you can activate ABS, you don't need new brakes you need better tires." Putting on grabbier brake materials on the same tires will lock up your tires faster.

Brakes stop the wheel from spinning, tires are what translate that friction to the road surface. Your car has a lot of pounds that want to keep going where they're heading at the rate they're heading there, and not slow down so abruptly.

If it's pedal feel you're after, I'd start with a fluid flush. I've always had seat of the pants enjoyment after flushing fluid. There are other components after that, but there are a few before you get to a different caliper.

I know you said stock wheels and tires, but you will not increase stopping distance without changing tires. I can't remember exactly who it was, but someone on here was tracking their GT with stock calipers.

I know brake bling is quite blingy, as I really want the look of brembos. Lately I've gotten even more excited when I see a set of Pilot Super Sports or PS4S tires.

I just pulled the trigger on a LGT upgrade from my OBXT. Looking forward to this. Go to Rock Auto and start digging into how much you want to spend. Way cheaper buying reman than new stuff. I went will all Raybestos except for the rear calipers and Cryo treated vented rotors, no fancy holes or slots needed for a daily.

All Spec B’s have the same brakes as the LGT, which like mentioned earlier is the largest caliper Subaru makes short of the STI Brembos.

I track my LGT with OE front and rear calipers, Ti shims, Hawk pads, and Centric Cryo blanks. I use either the Wilwood 600 or Motul 600 fluid and freshly flush all fluid before going to the track. I never have fade and they work fine.

I track my LGT with OE front and rear calipers, Ti shims, Hawk pads, and Centric Cryo blanks. I use either the Wilwood 600 or Motul 600 fluid and freshly flush all fluid before going to the track. I never have fade and they work fine.

Which hawk pads do you use for track? Curious.

Not true. I have swapped brake parts onto both my cars. No difference

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Hp+. Not hard on the rotors, stop great, but do leave a lot of black dust and they're only really good for 2 track days (8-12-solid 20 minute sessions) at best. Once they're down past halfway, I don't use them again as I don't want the heat transfer to the calipers. Even with Ti shims, they can still push a lot of heat into the pistons.

Hi there folks!

New to this forum but I've been working on and rebuilding cars for 15 yrs or so. I now have several Subarus, all Legacy,01,04 and 09. I've got some new slotted and drilled front rotors for the 09 but I'm looking for an inexpensive front caliper upgrade using the stock wheels and tires. Any ideas? Thanks in advance! Dan

My WRX uses LGT brakes (makes buying parts so much easier since I don't have to remember which is for which car) and on the lighter car the LGT brakes is already a very big improvement. You should look into upgrading your other 2 cars too :)

Just received most of my order. These GT rotors and calipers are massive in comparison to the OBXT setup. Nice to see the rears are vented as well AGAIN massive by comparison. Edited by kzr750r1

Just received most of my order. These GT rotors and calipers are massive in comparison to the OBXT setup. Nice to see the rears are vented as well AGAIN massive by comparison.
Where did you get parts from ?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Rock Auto. More than just brakes here but you get the idea.

2006 SUBARU OUTBACK 2.5L H4 Turbocharged

KYB 339099 Strut $ 65.89 $ 0.00 1 $ 65.89

KYB 339098 Strut $ 66.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 66.79

MOOG K90329 Strut Mount $ 19.67 $ 0.00 2 $ 39.34

RAYBESTOS BH381352 Hydraulic Hose $ 17.83 $ 0.00 1 $ 17.83

RAYBESTOS BH381350 Hydraulic Hose $ 17.83 $ 0.00 1 $ 17.83

RAYBESTOS BH382649 Hydraulic Hose $ 9.01 $ 0.00 1 $ 9.01

RAYBESTOS BH382648 Hydraulic Hose $ 8.87 $ 0.00 1 $ 8.87

RAYBESTOS BH382650 Hydraulic Hose $ 6.88 $ 0.00 1 $ 6.88

2006 SUBARU LEGACY 2.5L H4 Turbocharged

CARDONE 19B3105 (19-B3105) Caliper $ 43.79 $ 70.00 1 $ 113.79

CARDONE 19B3104 (19-B3104) Caliper $ 43.79 $ 70.00 1 $ 113.79