LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT 4th Gen Plasti Dip Maybe??

Guys....

I'm on the fence about this. I have multiple buddies with various subi's who have dipped either wheels or whole car and it looks pretty sweet.

I've already dipped the wheels on mine gun metal grey.

I'm seriously considering going Matte white with black roof on the whole car.

Let me know what you think and if anyone has dipped the full car before I would love to know how it went.

Here is how it currently looks.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff187/willylumplump15/DSC_0004_zps8d4f776e.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff187/willylumplump15/DSC_0018_zpsa5f38378.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff187/willylumplump15/DSC_0002_zps9cea360f.jpg

I wouldn't touch the roof. Or any other part of the car though.

If you look at the STI next to it, it's got the black rails on either side - that's would look ok dipped but the Legacy next to it, probably wouldn't. Personal preference.

I dipped my Legacy twice and wouldn't recommend it. First, if you decide to peel it off, it's a pain removing all those overspray. Your window trim will be messed up. Plasti dip will get stuck in those tiny gaps and good luck cleaning those. Second, with matte white, it's going to be a pain keeping clean. It will look good for a few weeks, but it will get dirty and will never look the same.

I recommend plasti dip for rims, emblem, grille, and small stuff, but definitely not the whole car. Do it right, go with a vinyl wrap instead.

the switch to white is soo tempting, but the upkeep concerns with that grippy PD matte finish noted above weigh as really legit -- anyone have any experience with the PD clearcoat/glossifier on exterior (if only to keep the fantasy alive :lol: )?

the switch to white is soo tempting, but the upkeep concerns with that grippy PD matte finish noted above weigh as really legit -- anyone have any experience with the PD clearcoat/glossifier on exterior (if only to keep the fantasy alive :lol: )?

The glossifier is just as tacky.

I dipped my Legacy twice and wouldn't recommend it. First, if you decide to peel it off, it's a pain removing all those overspray. Your window trim will be messed up. Plasti dip will get stuck in those tiny gaps and good luck cleaning those. Second, with matte white, it's going to be a pain keeping clean. It will look good for a few weeks, but it will get dirty and will never look the same.

I recommend plasti dip for rims, emblem, grille, and small stuff, but definitely not the whole car. Do it right, go with a vinyl wrap instead.

THIS. All of this. I've done it and its just not worth it. I went a custom matte silver color and it just wasn't worth it. My car still has overspray shit all over it and I hate it. And it really will only be clean for a little while and will never wash off and look like fresh again.

A couple pictures just for the hell of it...

dipped1.jpg.fb0d265cf7694ca962ef3e2b1bf61826.jpg

IMG_3596.jpg.e42f051abefce194eb2b4f9db32e276b.jpg

It snowed and I went through some muddy snow. Months later I still couldn't scrub the brown out of the dip on that particular fender. I'm a good photographer and make sure I make things look better than they do in life when I shoot them haha. I tried hand wash, scrub, pressure wash (low pressure), running through the car wash - none of it worked.

I had nothing better to do this morning... Thought I'd tinker a little in PhotoShop.

And sorry about the roof. My "skills" lacked there.

LegacyMatte.jpg.af6f402ba3ea35660c00a8bfc9b78b4d.jpg

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy172/Striker625/LegacyMatte_zpsc805ad81.gif

The black roof really does give an Audi/Optima feel to it, which I'm not opposed to. Visually I think it would look neat. I do think, and if this is just the photoshopping skills, that your pics don't reflect the end result really well. What I'm seeing on my screen is an eggshell-like white that still is reflective, definitely not the white and black you described above. If you plasti-dip the beast, then you're not gonna have that reflective surface anymore, and even with the glossifier it won't be that smooth.

I honestly LOVE the BSM color, it's gorgeous after a wash in the sunny light. At most I would say do the roof, otherwise my vote is stick with stock!

Thanks for the photoshop striker! Gives us a good idea. Although I think its going to be more matte. jknepp has got a great point. The dip would be completely matte. Don't get me wrong I love the way my car looks now but I think a change of scenery would be nice.

I would recommend doing more research on this in the forum at dipyourcar.com. There are a lot of advice clips on youtube from dyc and from puzzleman.

I did my BRZ's front bumper in 4 coats in clear with 3 coats of gloss, which gave it a satin finish. It was pretty easy to clean, but I cleaned the car every week or two. It is not slick like paint, but it does get less tacky over time. Since people have done this for a couple of years, they've learned a lot about what to mask off and when to pull it.

If it looks cheap to you, you can always pull the dip off the car.

Thanks for all the advice!

I have been doing a lot of reading on the DYC forum. Seems like people have mixed reviews. I have yet to seen a matte white LGT with black roof so I think it would be sweet to pioneer that.

Archived