LegacyGT.com

Identify Relays & Connector

2001 Legacy Auto trans with intermittent NO start

Has Factory Lock/Unlock remote and Compustar Alpine Remote Start & Security.

I have the Chilton manual & have searched these forums and other sources, but

still need help identifying parts. I'm reasonably good at diagnosing electrical issues with a multimeter.

I need to determine if the intermittent NO start is from a Subaru component or the Compustar Alpine installed a few years ago by BestBuy.

Under the driver's left knee is a fuse & relay block.

Please identify the relays.

Above the gas pedal is a disconnected green wire connector.

Purple/White & Black male side to Orange & Purple on female side.

What circuit is it for? I suspect the installer of the Compustar purposely disconnected it. Fortunately, the Subaru Remote Lock/Unlock still works.

From reviewing the Subaru electrical parts catalog and wiring diagrams, there appears to be a Starter interlock Relay, Interrupt Relay and Ignition Relay.

With 170 mi, I seriously suspect the solenoid contacts will have to be replaced, but that'll have to wait until Monday.

Any ideas on where the installer hid the Compustar Alpine will be appreciated. I'm thinking a loose or poorly grounded wire.

Thanks

Bob

PS Intermittent NO start conditions, key to start = instrument panel lights on - sometimes a click [solenoid or relay?]. Sometimes security lights very quickly.

Sometimes car will start with remote, but might take 3 or 4 times.

307283758_SubaruFuseRelayblockatDriversleftknee.jpg.82b11af6b9ee338d0fff5c2dff3bea98.jpg

772698053_SubaruGreenconnectorabovegaspedal.thumb.jpg.89d02f7b88b3d089bc7f2c740400fbdc.jpg

"Above the gas pedal is a disconnected green wire connector." That's for diagnosing leave them unplugged

I suspect your security system is causing this. Factory security boxes are behind the raido/hvac bezel. Maybe they replaced it there. Follow wires from the ignition switch

no aftermarket Remote alarm/ start behind stereo/hvac. With the difficulty of removing it, because of subaru factory remote lock/unlock controller, I seriously doubt anyone would put it there.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated for possible location of compustar remote start.

And id for relays in the attached photo.

Additional info: OEM "Security" led is blinking very rapidly. This makes me seriously suspect a short or bad ground in the security wiring of either the OEM or compustar connections.

Edited by Bob Weir

• 2 years later...

So much wasted time. It was the newly installed starter. I just didn't think a new starter was the problem,so I never checked it. I took car to another shop who "started" diagnostics with the starter. Thanks for everyones suggestions.

Now that this car's head gasket is gone, we're buying a "new" 2001 Subaru Legacy Wagon. But without a remote starter. Should I buy a new kit off the shelf or swap the one from "old" Legacy into the "new" Legacy?

Edited by Bob Weir