LegacyGT.com

Engine build (2012 GT)

So I wanna do an engine build for fun. (I don't want to just buy a built shortblock and call it a day.)

I have a 12 GT. I'll need oem case halves/oil pan if I remember correctly. What else should I consider with our cars?

I plan on upgrading where I can. (Sti crank, cams, head studs, etc) I'd like to take my time and find deals on all (new) parts. I also don't wanna go too overboard and just get what I can to make it a bit more exciting to drive. I already have a stage 2 tune with supporting mods.

I'm starting fresh to replace my tired, high mileage, engine I have now.

Looking for advice, good deals on parts if you come across anything or any ideas/feedback to help me along the way.

I'll also post any progress I make on this thread.

I appreciate any input I can get!

The big reason I advocate a built block is because the stress on these engines varies so much, being on and off boost. Building a reliable block requires a shop full of specialized equipment to get everything lined up, pinned mains to keep distortion in check, cylinder bracing (closed deck inserts)...etc.

I can respect doing your own work and build for experience, but consider the cost if just one bearing surface or piston ring is out of clearance, the entire rotating assembly, oil pump, heads, and block can be trashed. And the turbo to top it all off.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

A shop usually has a bunch of bearings to pick from as well, so you are sure to get better fitting bearings over buying a single set.

Would you be blueprinting the block as well?

You will need OEM case halves, lower block (https://parts.wildesubaru.com/a/Subaru_2012_Legacy-25L-TURBO-6MT-4WD-GT-Limited-Sedan/_54102_6023211/CYLINDER-BLOCK-LOWER-10MY-12MY/B14-004-03.html)and oil pan.

As far as I found out on my build, that lower block mounting to the case halves is the only unique thing to our 5th gen block. I was told that there was an extra threaded hole in the block as well, but can't confirm.

This is a tough car to build for cheap because the parts are fairly rare/limited and don't tend to go on sale much.

Good luck with the build!

Will follow this thread.

I'm thinking of doing the same.

I already have spare case halves and CP high comp pistons (increasing compression as I run e85).

Will probably go King race bearings.

Not sure what rods, Arp bolts for sure.

Wish there was a cheap way to get the block closed deck.