LegacyGT.com

2013 Subaru Legacy random glycol dump

I have a 2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited with 104k miles that I make sure to keep up with maintenance with due to it being my daily driver.

The other day we had a huge 2 day snowstorm in NH, so like usual I warm up the car, dust it off, and move it into the street so I can snowplow the driveway. When I moved it back I noticed a large quantity of coolant in the snow. When I checked the reservoir it was down below the "low" line, about an inch left in the tank.

Put it up on the lift later that day, couldn't find any drips, breaks, all visual hoses weren't dry rotted or cracked, all seals were dry and clean. Let it run in the driveway for 20 minutes. Nothing. So I topped off the coolant back to normal level. The next day, the same thing happens - start it up, drips all over the snow (less this time, the reservoir only went down about a half inch from "full" line). So I let it cool off thinking that cold start is causing it from quick pressure to cold cracked hose. Still couldn't recreate the leak.

Today I dropped it off at my mechanic's. Comes back inconclusive. Told me they did a visual, didn't see anything, then pumped the coolant system up to 16lbs pressure and let it sit, held no problem. He told me to just keep an eye on it but the fact that I lost about 8oz of coolant scares me. Could have been over time, but I checked coolant level on the last oil change about 2 months ago and it was at the normal level.

Anybody else have this problem or know what could have possibly happened? Any reason why the system would just decide to dump/overflow? Due to cold weather, snow, or any other known issues? Appreciate it.

Edited by Mjk30797

• 2 weeks later...
I have a 2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited with 104k miles that I make sure to keep up with maintenance with due to it being my daily driver.

The other day we had a huge 2 day snowstorm in NH, so like usual I warm up the car, dust it off, and move it into the street so I can snowplow the driveway. When I moved it back I noticed a large quantity of coolant in the snow. When I checked the reservoir it was down below the "low" line, about an inch left in the tank.

Put it up on the lift later that day, couldn't find any drips, breaks, all visual hoses weren't dry rotted or cracked, all seals were dry and clean. Let it run in the driveway for 20 minutes. Nothing. So I topped off the coolant back to normal level. The next day, the same thing happens - start it up, drips all over the snow (less this time, the reservoir only went down about a half inch from "full" line). So I let it cool off thinking that cold start is causing it from quick pressure to cold cracked hose. Still couldn't recreate the leak.

Today I dropped it off at my mechanic's. Comes back inconclusive. Told me they did a visual, didn't see anything, then pumped the coolant system up to 16lbs pressure and let it sit, held no problem. He told me to just keep an eye on it but the fact that I lost about 8oz of coolant scares me. Could have been over time, but I checked coolant level on the last oil change about 2 months ago and it was at the normal level.

Anybody else have this problem or know what could have possibly happened? Any reason why the system would just decide to dump/overflow? Due to cold weather, snow, or any other known issues? Appreciate it.

I have a 2013 2.5I (91k miles) also, and check out the motor and all fluids once a week in the winter, and once every 2 weeks in the summer. I have had to fill up my coolant in the over flow when I saw it was low a few times. I have a clean garage, and I have never seen any leaks but I have had to fill up oil and coolant. These cars seem to do odd things.

I would keep and eye on it also, I tend to keep fluids in my car and check before, during and after long trips. Also let the car sit over night and pop off the cap to the Rad and see what it looks like.

I have to check my coolant and oil also cause I was honing around last night after work in the snow lol. It's scary with blizzaks cause when it catches tractions it takes off lol.