LegacyGT.com

Apple CarPlay issues

Apple CarPlay has been driving me crazy. It randomly cuts out. Tonight it would start up, and as soon as I would play a song, CarPlay would disconnect. I updated to IOS 14.1 tonight. I hope that fixes it. I’ll see in the morning.

I may have figured out the issue. I just obtained a 2020 legacy premium and love it. Legacy #6 for me. So, basically car play takes dominion over audio functions. What I did to make it work a lil better is delete pandora and don’t have any other audio type app’s anymore. Works a lot better now. Still audio stops from SiriusXM but just click between CarPlay and back to radio a few times. Still pretty annoying but getting better after getting rid of pandora. Running iOS 14.1 aswell. Also, got rid of the following CarPlay apps in settings, SiriusXM app, Fox News app, CNBC MarketWatch app. Radio app. Mainly just have waze and maps. Only displays 2 icons on the bottom dock after getting rid of all them. Won’t be missed since all the apps are pretty much just audio apps.

No carplay in my WRX, but I had a similar issue with a Forrester loaner car last week and it sometimes happens with Carplay in my Grand Cherokee. It's likely your phone's charging port is dirty and the cable doesn't have a great connection, get a can of compressed air and clean it out.

• 1 month later...

I pinpointed the reason why the audio was cutting off for me - WAZE.

I’ll connect my iPhone, click the Waze app in CarPlay and then set a destination. While Waze is navigating and I’m cycling through audio sources (for me it’s: CarPlay, CD [yes I do have a cd inserted], AM, FM, SiriusXM, Bluetooth) that’s when the sound cuts off. It happens exactly after I attempt to cycle past whatever audio is playing on CarPlay. Be it iTunes, Spotify... From CarPlay to CD and then it bounces back to CarPlay - no sound. Turning the Waze app off solves it. Just open the app on your phone and then swipe it away.

All the other navigation apps, including the Subaru one, works fine. If you can live without Waze, you’re good. If not, pray that Waze or Subaru addresses it and comes up with an update. Don’t hold your breath.

Just thought I’d share. I hope this helps.

Subaru apple car play is absolute trash and their tech team should be sued for the crappy job they did with the implementation.

I had a 2018 legacy and they replaced the whole unit and didn’t fix ****.

I have a bmw now and it’s wireless CarPlay and it’s flawless and no random cut outs!

Subaru needs to fire their whole navigation tech development and q/a department.

Yesterday I disconnected my CarPlay and none of the radio settings would work, Sirius, Fm, etc. So annoying. I’ve even had my radio be on and have no sound through the speakers. Only way to fix it is to turn the car off for about a full minute or two. It’s BS.

Yesterday I disconnected my CarPlay and none of the radio settings would work, Sirius, Fm, etc. So annoying. I’ve even had my radio be on and have no sound through the speakers. Only way to fix it is to turn the car off for about a full minute or two. It’s BS.

Can to reboot the stereo? I have not tried on my 2020 Legacy, but on my Ascent, I would

hold down the power/mute button for 10 seconds until the Starlink logo pops up.

Waze emailed this:

“Hi Duke,

Thanks for contacting us about your infotainment system that cuts off when Waze connects to Carplay.

We recommend that you delete Waze and reinstall it while connected to WiFi.

Before deleting Waze, make sure to connect an email address to your account and verify it so that you can recover your account if you need to.

For easier login, we recommend that you let Apple save your Waze credentials.

If the issue still persists, we'd like to ask you to reproduce the issue while in our debug mode and submit the report logs. Follow the steps below to set Waze to debug mode and send logs:

Open Waze and tap Search

In the search bar, type 2##2, and then tap the magnifying glass

A Debug Mode message appears. Tap OK.

Close Waze by double tapping your iPhone's home button and swiping up.

Open Waze and reproduce the issue.

Do the same thing in the app that didn’t work for you. Take a screenshot if you can.

Tap the orange Report button in the bottom right, and then Debug

Tap Yes and wait for a confirmation message

Reply to this email and include:

Your Waze username

Your approximate location

Your device’s name and model number

The date and time you sent the logs

A screenshot and/or video of the issue if you have one

Have a question?

Reply to this email and we'll respond shortly.

To exit Debug Mode:

Tap Search

In the search bar, type 2##2, and then tap the magnifying glass

Tap OK.”

Good times.