LegacyGT.com

Which TMIC do I want?

With dyno day approaching sometime in the next few weeks, Im looking into my options for a new intercooler. From what I’ve read, grimmspeed is the best quality option. Not that I want to start cutting corners on the build, but the mishimoto is $520 as opposed to $850. Was curious if anyone’s running the mishimoto.

Neat, would love to see how it performs for you, and your tuner's thoughts on it vs other IC's he's tuned with.

Sarang, I've been wondering about those too but everytime I read more about them I come across the comments that a front mount performs close and is less complex. Subaru also tried it and seems to have given up on it.

from what i understand, unless you're pushing big power, or doing something where you'd have a lot of heat soak(drag racing etc), or need it for packaging(like stock superchargered V8s, crammed tiny engine bays etc), water intercoolers really aren't worth the extra effort

from what i understand, unless you're pushing big power, or doing something where you'd have a lot of heat soak(drag racing etc), or need it for packaging(like stock superchargered V8s, crammed tiny engine bays etc), water intercoolers really aren't worth the extra effort

I agree. My GMC Syclone came stock with water to air intercooler, I converted it to air to air. The factory W2A had a significant pressure drop (4.5psi) and it was crammed in the engine compartment. Most owner going for speed went the A2A direction. The truck I saw using Water to Air successfully were all out drag trucks with custom W2A intercoolers with an ice box mounted in the back of the truck.

I put a AWIC in my GT that I put together from the frozen boost site, thanks to Sarang dropping in a post of mine about intercooler setups.:)

Sure it's a bit more complicated and certainly has more moving parts than a A2A setup, but they are both probably just as difficult to install as the other, once you're in that deep anyway.

I used the AWIC because I didn't want to cut away any of the bumper support to fit the FMIC between the bumper and there are more size/shape options for the heat exchanger with AWIC over the FMIC setup. I haven't seen any ill effects from using it and it far outperforms my TMIC. I never noticed the heat effecting the performance over the summer, at least no more than normal. How does it compare to a FMIC on our cars... IDK?

I never heard anything from Dave at Cryo about the car during tuning and it pulls like crazy... I slipped the tires in second gear yesterday pulling from a stop sign with some other fun cars. Had me grinning big time after that.

Plus, it looks different under the hood than most GT's out there.

I also used some extra 3" silicone tubing to make a snorkel to get cooler air to the box from under the car.

I put a AWIC in my GT that I put together from the frozen boost site, thanks to Sarang dropping in a post of mine about intercooler setups.:)

Sure it's a bit more complicated and certainly has more moving parts than a A2A setup, but they are both probably just as difficult to install as the other, once you're in that deep anyway.

I used the AWIC because I didn't want to cut away any of the bumper support to fit the FMIC between the bumper and there are more size/shape options for the heat exchanger with AWIC over the FMIC setup. I haven't seen any ill effects from using it and it far outperforms my TMIC. I never noticed the heat effecting the performance over the summer, at least no more than normal. How does it compare to a FMIC on our cars... IDK?

I never heard anything from Dave at Cryo about the car during tuning and it pulls like crazy... I slipped the tires in second gear yesterday pulling from a stop sign with some other fun cars. Had me grinning big time after that.

Plus, it looks different under the hood than most GT's out there.

I also used some extra 3" silicone tubing to make a snorkel to get cooler air to the box from under the car.

Are you running a different radiator to deal with the increased heat load on the cooling system? Which one did you use if so?

Also, which ports did you run the coolant from/to for the AWIC?

Are you running a different radiator to deal with the increased heat load on the cooling system? Which one did you use if so?

Also, which ports did you run the coolant from/to for the AWIC?

Hes using a remote mounted cooler for the water cooling. Has nothing to do with the coolant or radiator. Separate systems altogether.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

FLlegacy is correct, I will take some pics during the day tomorrow and put them in my build thread and in here. I think I maybe have an install video of the cooler install and my air oil separator install as well. I'll have to dig that stuff up and finally put it in my build thread.

I did have to tap into the cooling system for the IAG air oil separator...

Here's a quick pick under the hood of my GT and my AWIC. As always, click on the pic to see things more clearly.

IMG_9042.thumb.jpg.b6c97b08ab1b9367e5d7fd11fbef8d76.jpg

A closer pic of the dump side.

IMG_9048.thumb.jpg.7047a107822bb14e406a6c060fa74ec9.jpg

I'll put some more pics in my build thread and explain the set up and install in more detail.