LegacyGT.com

09 with HK sub replace?

at_legacy09

Hey guys! I have a 09 2.5i with the HK system. And yes, the sub is already blown. Go figure. I'm looking to replace it and know some about systems so I'm not completely at a lose here. Just have a few questions.

Would it be easier to just upgrade the sub and use the old spot for it? I'm having difficulty finding the correct size since its such a shallow area. OR would it be easier to just upgrade the sub and put it in the trunk? If so, would i be able to use the original wiring and amp? I'm not trying to completely redo the system. I just want a better sub that wont blow in a week lol. I dont need a crazy system, just something with some good bump.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
I bought my 09 legacy gt back in december and the sub was blown by early feburary. i brought it back to subaru to get an estimate to replace it and they wanted almost $500. I talked to a buddy of mine who runs an audio shop and he said dont even bother replacing it. a sub in the trunk will sound a lot clearer and crisp. Just disconnect the stock HK sub and use the signal from that for the new sub.

The stock amp isn't really powerful enough for most aftermarket subs you'd put in the trunk. I would say hit up parts-express.com and find an efficient 8" woofer to swap into the stock location.
MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

only thing that sucks about replacing the stock sub is that you gotta take out the rear seats to access the rear deck with the sub in it. i have a couple 12" kickers from my old car and i think im gonna get a single sub box and disconnect the stock hk sub

It's not too bad of a job tho. I've gone in there 3 times chasing rattles caused by my aftermarket sub in the stock location. Need to chase down a few more this spring.
MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

Archived