LegacyGT.com

New Full Interior Carpet Install Walkthrough

UPDATE: Only some pics loaded, if anyone can help me out on the rest please do!:) But for now enjoy the pics that did...

Ok everyone, so i searched plenty before starting this project and didn't find an official walkthrough or thread. If there is one, note that im not trying to take anyones thread but may I just add to it. :) Anywho, lets get started!!! This is my first DIY, so go easy on me and let me know if i missed something. Thanks guys! ;)

Tools Needed:

(Black)New carpet # 95011AG13AJC for 05 Legacy

Part # 95011AG15BJC for 06-09 (reason they are different is that the carpet was either made by a different company or new vendor, what the parts guy told me)

Price i got was $300 FROM a local Shop, i really had to talk them to doing me a favor. Its about $370ish from the Stealerships...

17mm (i think) socket wrench wrench w/ extension

10mm to disconnect the battery

5 piece trim removal set (from habor frieghts)

flathead screw driver

philips screw driver

a buddy (which i didnt have)

and LOTS of time.....

IMPORTANT:

Don't disconnect the battery until you have the bolts off under your driver and passenger seats!! It will make life soo much easy!

1) Start by removing your seats. The rears are simple and just pull up on each side and you can pull the bottom out easily. For the sriver and passenger side, its a little more work. Silde forward and backwards for each seat and undo the bolts. I believe its a 17mm, if not 18mm.

2) Once the bolts are off the seats.... DISCONNECT your negative side of the batterry. Doing this insures no airbag system is being interfered with.

3) No particular order but i start with the driver side seat. There are 6 connectors you have to undo and the subwoofer if you have that like mine. Each have diff ways of coming off. Yellow one you have to pull one side and push down the other. Its pretty much staright forward when you do it. Passenger side has 5-6 connectors..take off the same way you did with the driver side.

4) Once you have the connectors off, pull out the seats and set them aside. Same with the passenger.

5) THIS IS WHERE YOUR 5 PIECE TRIM TOOL SAVES TIME: With all the big stuff out the way, now its time to pull out the door trims and such. All 4 dour trims come off, Just pull them, they are connected by tabs no screws. The trim underneath the seatbelt comes off both sides. Black piece under the driver and passenger side dashes come off. The tan trim under the steering wheel comes off. Now all this all easy take offs, nothing special needed.

6) Now one all your trim pieces are off, its time to focus on the center console! there are 2 screws in the compartment. (10mm bolt), Next pull up the chrome trim around your shifter. Once that is off pull the gray trim piece from the bottom upwards towards the stero just pop out. Unscrew the stero woodgrain or silver trim. There should be 4 more screws on the left and right tan side pieces. Once you get all the screws out just start pull it apart.

7) once all your trim pieces and seats and etc...are out you are left with just the carpet. its held down by a pop-its, go ahead and use your trim tool remover. Under the driver side by the accelarator, theres an L-shaped piece, the BIG pop-it with pop off when you yank hard enough on the L-shape pieces.

8) When you have enerything off hold down the carpet, it should be easy to take apart, and you are left with just the shell. Set in your new carpet and align the holes. Reverse everything and you should be good to go. Its not hard just takes a lot of time.

9) the end result i had no airbag lights and everything works as it did before, so im VERY happy about that!:)

BE PATIENT AND TAKE YOUR TIME SO YOU DONT BREAK ANYTHING. IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO ASK AWAY! thanks everyone for the HELP and enjoy this write up. Im sure i've missed a few things as this is my first DIY. HAHA :lol: Hope this helps everyone who wants to try it!!!!!:rolleyes:

PICS WILL BE UPDATED WHEN I GET HOME...Thanks for your patients!

passengerb1.thumb.jpg.7bbd158e596aad5834344f8d4027ed1a.jpg

passengerremove.thumb.jpg.98d8514a693c93f1e1a3c592b9ffc76e.jpg

driverunder.thumb.jpg.c26827b84e064ca8baad32849e3860d9.jpg

rearremoved.thumb.jpg.3f9f23cbf97394934e0a1f5a3bf7205f.jpg

newcarpet.thumb.jpg.3161ec1f4ed1c56cd8b1f8c73cb8e8be.jpg

after2.thumb.jpg.70a111482ab647825f9de77715abf483.jpg

after3.thumb.jpg.b5ed8e970718f32307bdd370ecf80a5e.jpg

after4.thumb.jpg.38b3e11fe6432434a8e2d765979c7fd2.jpg

aftershot.thumb.jpg.15c14113b18adfe695cdddbd85ba95d9.jpg

Sweet! Thanks for the how-to! I'm SOOOO happy my 09 Outback had the black/tan combo. It would look terrible with a tan carpet.

I thought it looked a little funny, black carpet with tan interior, when we got my Wife's Impreza. She was right all along, though. It looks way better.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Hey all,

I apologize if I should have started a new thread instead of bumping this one, but what I have to say is directly relevant to this very helpful thread.

So I pulled my carpet out and dyed it from taupe to black (successfully!), and reinstalled back in my car. Everything seemed to work, no airbag lights or anything like that, and I took the car for a test drive. Satisfied, I locked the car and went inside. The battery was unplugged for a period of about a week or so during this process.

Flash forward to the next morning when I drove the car a second time to go in to work... When I locked my car with the fob, the alarm started going off immediately after the "standby" period. 6 horn honks in sets of two, followed by the alarm going off. I looked in the manual and this means my shock sensor had been tripped, or the alarm had been tampered with.

I definitely plugged in all the harnesses (in fact I don't believe the shock sensor was ever unplugged based on photos I found online, but I could be wrong there). The only thing I can think of is that either:

* The shock sensor DID get tripped, and I need to figure out how to reset it (really hoping I don't have to go to dealer, but seems that's the only option for the shock sensor).

* I damaged the shock sensor wiring during the install, causing it to think it's been tampered with.

The latter seems like it may be the case, as when I stapled the carpet back in to the car, I realized that the staples were closer than I would like to the wiring harness that runs under the door trim and carpet. Does anyone know if the shock wiring runs through either of the harnesses going front to back under the floor? If so, I think I may have clipped a wire, causing the shock sensor to think it had been cut or tampered with.

Any thoughts here?

-thejazzcat

Archived