LegacyGT.com

Failing Coolant Hose to Turbo

My coolant overflow bottle was bony dry last night. A quick look around and i found some green scale on the coolant supply/exit? from the turbo. The hose is completely loose, moves and up and down with almost no resistance. After I pulled it off I realized the metal is severely corroded and the hose is shot. Anyone else notice anything like this on their LGT? Planning on replacing hose and metal tubing supply line, does anyone have the part #'s, vacation pix doesn't mention said parts. Car is an '05 with 72k miles.

IMAG0542.thumb.jpg.5a1abe62cd9fa9c1ba9e2af4b7a98bd9.jpg

IMAG0543.thumb.jpg.78798df7defa288f4cb866c4289bead9.jpg

IMAG0545.thumb.jpg.f85cebee478081cdac7d73a30046c3d4.jpg

When I bought my 05 with 38k on it, the coolant tank for the turbo was bone dry. I didn't see any areas where it had been leaking, so I just filled it and had no issues until I upgraded to a 20g 20k miles later.

I'd replace the hose, clean the scale off, top off the coolant and check the shaft play on your turbo, just to be safe.

Why are those clamps not reusable and the ones elsewhere are? I think thats what caused my leak on my lower coolant hose.

I just did a turbo swap and I noticed coolant smell afterward, I just found the wet spot this AM... Thankfully my coolant tank is still plenty full and I did not run it dry. I'll be replacing the clamps as soon as I can get some.

So far my car has been up on jack stands for almost 5 days. I managed to pull the turbo off, it looks good with no shaft play. When i did the last coolant change, probably around 65k I used OEM fluid with the Subaru re branded Holts additive. I bought the replacement hose and it came with new clamps. It also appears that the oil outlet rubber hose is shot too, turbo end is liquefied tar, middle is stiff as PVC and the bottom is also liquefied. I will be replacing that part too.

This has gotten me to wonder what other rubber fittings connect to the turbo, might be best to replace them as preventive maintenance.

The clamps do not come with the oil outlet hose, have to make sure to get those separately, 1 is a finger clamp and the other a standard plier clamp. I am going to go through the rest of the engine today looking for any other degraded hoses.

I can see the oil outlet tube going bad since that is very close to the up pipe and not wrapped or covered with anything.

I'm going to replace mine when I do my up since it will be much easier to get at.

You can clean the tube and inside of the hose, wrap black electrical tape several turns around the hose where the clamp sits (making the diameter larger and the hose clamp tighter), reinstall. That should hold you until you get a new hose. My hose has failed twice in 92,000 miles.

• 10 months later...
Corrosion on metal parts in the cooling system=acidic coolant. You are way overdue for a coolant flush. Green coolant should be completely flushed and replaced every 2yrs, because it becomes acidic and starts damaging metal parts. The eroded metal parts then fly through the cooling system like a sandblaster and destroy everything else. See it all the time. Coolant hoses should easily last 10 yrs as long as the rest of the cooling system is well maintained. If you have hoses that are failing before that, its because the cooling system is not well maintained.

• 5 years later...
6yrs old and its called milestones??.... I wonder what you would call the level my just retired DD 95 beretta was reaching then... LOL

Some people drive more than others haha. Our 09 LGT has ~180K MILES on it, and has spent at least 2 years totally off the road, if that gives any idea how much it is driven when in use. Heck, the 2 months I had it after I rebuilt the heads I put 7K Miles on it.

The hoses around the turbo all see a bunch of extra heat, and generally get brittle or gummy before the rest of the rubber parts in the engine bay, and seem to need replacement almost every time they are touched to stay in good shape.

That and using the Subaru blue coolant seems to help prolong those hoses life.

• 6 months later...

Archived