LegacyGT.com

Parts from other models/years that fit our 5th gen.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Could I ask why you should stay away from drilled rotors for street use? What about slotted (slitted?)?

Im running slotted, those are fine.

I wouldnt run drilled because even on the street there is a possibility of overheating your brakes and cracking rotors, ie long downgrade on way home from camping trip with car loaded with family and camping gear....

Does anybody know if 2009 STI hatchback springs will fit a 2012 legacy 2.5i?

They will fit but the ride height and handling characteristics will be a crap shoot.

So it won't b any lower?

Probably not a good idea to install springs without knowing the difference in spring rate and length compared to stock.

In addition, what he said. You have no clue how it will ride.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

I was looking for coilovers that would fit and I noticed Koni has a spring/shock set for the WRX. This would fit and for $1000. Front would be lower by 2" and rear would be lower by 1.5". I am curious to know the rates, though.

EDIT: I just noticed the shocks are supposed to be adjustable... not bad

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?make=Koni&model=Sport+Damper+Set+%26+Springs&group=Sport+Damper+Set+%26+Springs&partNum=1140-0461&autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Impreza+WRX+4-Door&autoYear=2009&autoModClar=Base

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

Im running slotted, those are fine.

I wouldnt run drilled because even on the street there is a possibility of overheating your brakes and cracking rotors, ie long downgrade on way home from camping trip with car loaded with family and camping gear....

^Truth. Also, part of what makes brakes effective is their ability to convert the kinetic energy of the vehicle into thermal energy. The rotor stores this as heat and that heat is then dissipated by the airflow through cooling fins in the rotor. One factor that determines how much heat the rotors can absorb is their mass, so you don't really do yourself any favors by removing material as you now have less effective thermal mass to absorb the braking heat. There is a trade-off between thermal mass and design for effective cooling and venting of braking gasses (fins and slotting), but if you do a little research, you'll find that drilled rotors are not advised. The drilled holes also create areas of stress concentration which, as pointed out by GTEASER, have a tendency to lead to warping and/or cracking. Go slotted if you're looking for something showier or upgraded from stock.

Edited by jackal8788

Does anybody know if 2009 STI hatchback springs will fit a 2012 legacy 2.5i?

They will fit but the ride height and handling characteristics will be a crap shoot.

So it won't b any lower?

Probably not a good idea to install springs without knowing the difference in spring rate and length compared to stock.

In addition, what he said. You have no clue how it will ride.

We won't know for sure until you try it. I dare you. ;)

Ok so does anybody know which year WRX/STI springs would fit the 5th gen?

I thought we answered this already. Don't do it!!!! Get 5th Gen specific lowering springs. RCE, H&R, Tein, Swift, Eibach all make them for our cars.

I'm not making this sh!t up. I have read literally every post on this forum in the last 2 years and 3 months, and I contribute 24/7 to new ideas and researching if parts will fit and sometimes trying them on my car. One guy here did what you are asking on his 5th Gen and didn't like it. He ended up going with H&R springs and Koni shocks. Feel free to try it and waste your money. You are here asking for guidance and consider yourself guided away from the silly question you continue to ask.

Edited by GTEASER

I thought we answered this already. Don't do it!!!! Get 5th Gen specific lowering springs. RCE, H&R, Tein, Swift, Eibach all make them for our cars.

I'm not making this sh!t up. I have read literally every post on this forum in the last 2 years and 3 months, and I contribute 24/7 to new ideas and researching if parts will fit and sometimes trying them on my car. One guy here did what you are asking on his 5th Gen and didn't like it. He ended up going with H&R springs and Koni shocks. Feel free to try it and waste your money. You are here asking for guidance and consider yourself guided away from the silly question you continue to ask.

And, he has a memory like a friggin' elephant to boot. ;)

It's possible. It's a lot smaller and has fewer mounting points than the Cusco MCB, but it does look like it may fit in our space. You will have to drill holes for it though.

I can contact my guy at Perrin to see if he can give me a dimension from the strut tower to the center of MC. Or maybe Perscitus could do that and post dimensions from both his and his brothers cars. My guess is that the WRX MC is closer to the strut tower than ours.