LegacyGT.com

WA - EatingInternet's 3D Prints: Double Din Adapter, Clock Relocation, and more

This thread will serve as a storefront for my 3D printed designs. As of now I am currently only offering the clock relocation bezel but I will also have the double din adapter as well as other little projects I print for my car available shortly.

As a courtesy to the community, I am also sharing the designs I made as well as the source solidworks parts. I have benefited a lot from the site at no charge to me so the least I can do is give back to the community a little bit. These are for PERSONAL USE ONLY, licensed under Creative Commons, Non-commercial, attribution. What this means is do not seek to sell my design unless you significantly improve/modify it. If you modify my design, attribute me. If you would like to sell my design as is, contact me and maybe we can work something out.

My designs are on thingiverse under the same username for STLs. If you would like the solidworks file please contact me, I get email notifications.

You may also request I make a new part. Send me a PM with what you want custom made and if I believe there is enough demand / I am interested I may make it.

Currently for sale:

-Clock Relocation Bezel in ABS

How it works:

1. PM me to place an order - I will need your PayPal email and physical address for shipping.

2. Once the order is finished, I will send you a PayPal invoice.

3. Once the invoice is paid, I send out the product and give you a shipping number.

(See posts below for full details).

Edited by EatingInternet

Clock Relocation Bezel

Description:

This relocation bezel moves your stock clock unit from the upper cubby / vent area to the shifter bezel. This is useful for tablet or radio installs that use the space where the clock used to be. The part is 3D printed out of ABS which will not warp in the heat and is what most stock interior parts are made of. It is currently only offered in black, which is fairly close to the color of the other center console pieces. These can be sanded / body fillered if desired to remove 3D printing artifacts, or vapor smoothed with acetone. Personally I like the look as is. They have a nice satin sheen to them, nothing crazy. If you want a custom color there is a one time charge for the filament of your choice, after which whoever wants that color can have it at standard price (until I run out).

Price:

$35 + shipping

~$25 extra for a custom color, one time fee.

Installation:

This part is installed into the shifter bezel where the ashtray and cigarette lighter are located. The old door is removed, and my bezel is hot glued into place. The stock clock then fits into my bezel, and is held in place with the stock two screws. This is similar to another product on the market. The product is fairly sturdy but be gentle with it. There may be slight gaps around the outside of the bezel, but these will not be visible once installed as it is dark behind the bezel. You can also slightly squeeze the shifter bezel to close gaps and I recommend using black hot glue as well. You may need to file down the back of the shifter bezel, it has vertical tabs which might get in the way of the clock bezel. This will be fixed in future versions.

If the clock or the bezel do not fit, DO NOT force them together. You can easily crack the clear part of the clock around the edges. They should snap together fairly easily. If they don't, file down where they are interfering a little bit. If they still don't fit contact me and I will send a replacement.

IMG_20200817_092733-min.thumb.jpg.b151f37e1ee52f56fd95f66c47a029d9.jpg

IMG_20200817_165522-min.thumb.jpg.b784a3e68230dbeffe4cfd7dad350edf.jpg

IMG_20200817_165534-min.thumb.jpg.90b2739280d74c8cadeef47c16077380.jpg

IMG_20200817_093032-min.thumb.jpg.6b1916a41ce88d5a4659cdc9daf8bd81.jpg

IMG_20200817_093107-min.thumb.jpg.6545c044a39e824faf08ff5f5bc8a3b8.jpg

IMG_20200817_093047-min.thumb.jpg.7778b3bbc0cb6b7687eb15b6a630dd9b.jpg

Edited by EatingInternet

Interested in double din for sure :)

The problem has never been the plastic panel. The problem on these cars is that the head unit is integrated into the same circuit board as the AC controls.

A long time ago there was a shop that was cutting these boards and using ribbon cable to lay it over... They quickly stopped doing that.

Way too much time and effort for the money people were willing to pay.

The only option for double din is the JDM kit which sells same day it is posted for about $350-ish. They never last long.

Not trying to poo poo on your dreams, but there is a reason why this is the biggest downside to these generation vehicles.

The problem has never been the plastic panel. The problem on these cars is that the head unit is integrated into the same circuit board as the AC controls.

A long time ago there was a shop that was cutting these boards and using ribbon cable to lay it over... They quickly stopped doing that.

Way too much time and effort for the money people were willing to pay.

The only option for double din is the JDM kit which sells same day it is posted for about $350-ish. They never last long.

Not trying to poo poo on your dreams, but there is a reason why this is the biggest downside to these generation vehicles.

My solution uses the top cubby. Your old radio will still be in place and use the AC, but will otherwise not be functional. I have the design mostly finished, I am waiting on upgrades to my printer to make a decent product. See my other thread, new radio solution from the mainland. That's where I'm documenting my work

My solution uses the top cubby. Your old radio will still be in place and use the AC, but will otherwise not be functional. I have the design mostly finished, I am waiting on upgrades to my printer to make a decent product. See my other thread, new radio solution from the mainland. That's where I'm documenting my work

Ah. I see. pretty cool. I have seen a few variations of this over the years (obviously not 3D printed).

Good on you for making these parts. I did want to make sure that people understood that they were not going to get a panel to replace their current radio easy-peezy.

BTW, I am still in for the clock relocation part.

Can you 3D print a plug for the cubby hole where the clock's original placement is? I've always wanted to re-locate the clock to the ashtray but I have the STI Defi gauge pack and don't want to leave an open hole.

Yes, once I finish the double din adapter I can make one. It should be fairly easy as I already have my old cubby faceplate for testing fitment outside the car and a profile of the clock I used to make my adapter.

• 2 weeks later...
The double din adapter is done. I will add it to the listing within a week. Be warned though it requires modification of the original cubby vents so that they will not work with the stock cubby (UNLESS you have factory navigation), and if you have a full length radio some plastic behind the dash will need to be cut out to make space. Otherwise mine is working great and I'm really happy with the end result.

finished picture, sorry for the delays I've been running out of steam on this project and looking for work. For those that have bought the clock relocation kit please let me know if you have any feedback. I seen the kit on any other cars which might have slight differences in the dash structure.

img_20200918_151138__OtmXq.thumb.jpg.2b2f3d30c10cbce795b579213fa96a91.jpg

• 1 year later...

Sent PM for clock relocation bezel, order ready. I could use a fill piece for the 08 nav bezel button gap from my interior update.

Double din looks great too.

Here's my project, minus the relocation kit I need from you!

428744247_Screenshot_20210903-2121573.thumb.png.6e6606e37731094214aaa2ee2943e5c8.png