LegacyGT.com

Headlight bulb issue?

Hello everyone,

Has anyone been having issues with their headlight or tail light bulbs burning out? I've had my 2014 since new and so far I've had to change the headlights and tail lights twice so far. My current headlight bulbs only have one year since iv replaced them and the driver side bulb is already out. It's a pain to replace them too. Does anyone have any recommendations on headlight bulbs? Is it an electrical issue?

Hello everyone,

Has anyone been having issues with their headlight or tail light bulbs burning out? I've had my 2014 since new and so far I've had to change the headlights and tail lights twice so far. My current headlight bulbs only have one year since iv replaced them and the driver side bulb is already out. It's a pain to replace them too. Does anyone have any recommendations on headlight bulbs? Is it an electrical issue?

did you put them in yourself? and if so did you take off the bumper or do it blind through the wheel well? the dealer installed a set of bulbs in my car once and they burned out in about 6 months likely because the install is so difficult that they touched the bulbs since there was a decent burn mark on the glass when i pulled them out.

did you put them in yourself? and if so did you take off the bumper or do it blind through the wheel well? the dealer installed a set of bulbs in my car once and they burned out in about 6 months likely because the install is so difficult that they touched the bulbs since there was a decent burn mark on the glass when i pulled them out.

I installed them my self through the fender well and that hole intended for the smallest of hands :lol: . I wore gloves but I might have gotten some bulb grease on it I'm not sure if I did though. Is it easier to take off the bumper and do it?

I installed them my self through the fender well and that hole intended for the smallest of hands :lol: . I wore gloves but I might have gotten some bulb grease on it I'm not sure if I did though. Is it easier to take off the bumper and do it?

it takes ME less time, but i really struggle to put them in through the wheel well because i have fat sausage hands and a bad wrist. if you have a pop-it remover it goes much smoother and there will be no wondering if you got the bulb oriented properly which makes a much bigger difference in light pattern than i ever would have thought. also using brighter bulbs will shorten their life even if the package says otherwise

it takes ME less time, but i really struggle to put them in through the wheel well because i have fat sausage hands and a bad wrist. if you have a pop-it remover it goes much smoother and there will be no wondering if you got the bulb oriented properly which makes a much bigger difference in light pattern than i ever would have thought. also using brighter bulbs will shorten their life even if the package says otherwise

Thanks for the tip, I'll try this method when I replace them again. I was also running brighter bulbs than stock too, I used the Sylvania Silverstar ultra bulbs, which just seem to be whiter than the original bulbs. Are there any bulbs that you'd recommend?

Thanks for the tip, I'll try this method when I replace them again. I was also running brighter bulbs than stock too, I used the Sylvania Silverstar ultra bulbs, which just seem to be whiter than the original bulbs. Are there any bulbs that you'd recommend?

I'm running sylvania xtra visions right now and they've been in for almost 2 years. small improvement over the basic's but no color change. one thing i did this past time (because i've burned through a bunch) was clean the bulbs religiously with isopropyl and a lint free rag.

I've been running Philips Crystalvision Ultra's on both my low and high beams since July, and they're great for the price (I got them for around $13 for the low beams, and another $13 for the high beams, both on sale). They're very white and SUPER bright when using the high beams in addition to the low beams. They are lot better than my old crusty bulbs that were an old orange color and had goo inside the bulbs... I'll link the bulbs I use below if your interested.

LOW BEAM H7 BULBS: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U1OL44G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HIGH BEAM 9005 BULBS: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017XELXT2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm running sylvania xtra visions right now and they've been in for almost 2 years. small improvement over the basic's but no color change. one thing i did this past time (because i've burned through a bunch) was clean the bulbs religiously with isopropyl and a lint free rag.

Yeah I find it odd that they burn out so quickly. My other is a 2011 Camry and I've only had to change the license plate bulbs out so far.

Yeah I find it odd that they burn out so quickly. My other is a 2011 Camry and I've only had to change the license plate bulbs out so far.

It's worth changing the headlight bulbs out every few years - they decline in light output as they age (with use, not time)

It's worth changing the headlight bulbs out every few years - they decline in light output as they age (with use, not time)

I get depressed thinking about when that time will come around again, when I changed every bulb in my car back in July, my arms were all cut up and bruised lmao. The low beams and parking lights (parking lights are in the orange tab on the side of the headlights, next to the low beam bulbs when changing the bulbs) were the hardest ones to change, every other bulb took less than 2 minutes to change. By the end of changing the low beams and paking lights, I looked like I went to war or something :jedi:

It is weird, it may be down to the headlight housing just holding too much heat.

those are the only bulbs I've changed on my car in 7 years.... and they've been changed 4 times. first set (factory installed) lasted 3-4 years next 3 lasted almost no time at all and this 5th set is going on 2 years.

Check tension of the socket, the bulb should fit pretty tight. Loose connection will burn them out prematurely. If the bulb slides in and out without much resistance, tighten each female end by bending the tabs down.

Ya, and make sure they're fully plugged in and can't move... happened to me when I changed them.

• 3 weeks later...
when my headlights burned out I replaced them with HID...Miromoto kit. totally impressed. I replaced my tailights with LED along with rear turn signals, plate bulbs, and reverse lights. No issues
I had Subaru put in the H7LL bulbs under their warranty/TSB or whatever. It burned out in 4 months. Just put an order in for miromoto. Hopefully it wont kill that system the way its been eating up my bulbs. I've changed my bulbs 3 times in the last 2 years.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

I had Subaru put in the H7LL bulbs under their warranty/TSB or whatever. It burned out in 4 months. Just put an order in for miromoto. Hopefully it wont kill that system the way its been eating up my bulbs. I've changed my bulbs 3 times in the last 2 years.

Do you realize they are covered for 1 year or 12k miles. I would take it back and have them replaced under warranty.

you will be happy with the results, i had to make sure my headlights were properly aimed and all is well. when ordering bulbs get the B style ones. The whole Kit was $240.

front bumper must come off

only place to mount HID is on inside of the headlight assembly between it and the frame of the car

you will have to drill out the headlight dust cover so the bulb can fit through (kit comes with grommets)

my recommendation is 4500K and no need to use the relays as the stock wiring is more than enough to get them going

you will be happy with the results, i had to make sure my headlights were properly aimed and all is well. when ordering bulbs get the B style ones. The whole Kit was $240.

front bumper must come off

only place to mount HID is on inside of the headlight assembly between it and the frame of the car

you will have to drill out the headlight dust cover so the bulb can fit through (kit comes with grommets)

my recommendation is 4500K and no need to use the relays as the stock wiring is more than enough to get them going

Did you retrofit or just stick with the stock halogen projector?

I don't understand why you American have this issue with headlight bulbs. My car came with the factory HID bulb, some Japanese brand I forgot the name. The headlights were scorched by the Australian sun (burnt bowls) but the bulbs were fine (although probably dimmer than new). I put in new Philips standard replacement and they've been going great for 3 years.

Just import some EU LHD headlights or retrofit with mini D2S/G5-R and throw Philips/Osram in. Why bother with PnP when you have a much better solution easily available to you.

I don't understand why you American have this issue with headlight bulbs. My car came with the factory HID bulb, some Japanese brand I forgot the name. The headlights were scorched by the Australian sun (burnt bowls) but the bulbs were fine (although probably dimmer than new). I put in new Philips standard replacement and they've been going great for 3 years.

Just import some EU LHD headlights or retrofit with mini D2S/G5-R and throw Philips/Osram in. Why bother with PnP when you have a much better solution easily available to you.

#1 reason cost.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Did you retrofit or just stick with the stock halogen projector?

I dropped them straight into the OEM housings. the light output pattern is exactly the same just much brighter. The Bulbs that come in the kit have the arc in the same location as the filament in the halogen.

a lot of it has to do with regulations as well, it is not cheap to get a HID kit certified for DOT approval (runs north of $10K per unit tested)

Edited by YeuEmMaiMai