LegacyGT.com

Permanently Disable Eyesight?

I've got a 2017 3.6R and I'm looking for a way to disable the eyesight without having to hold the button every time the car is started? I didn't want it but it came on the car that had the options I did want.

So far it's almost caused 3 accidents jamming on the brakes as cars were in the next lane or in a turn lane and NOT directly in front of me.

I'd considered making covers to slip over the cameras on top of the windshield but I'm not sure how the system would react.

Has anyone disabled theirs in this way?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I give up you spent extra $$$$$ for a safety feature that I have experienced .... stop me from a major accident ....and you want to disable? :spin:

One option don't follow so close. I hope you aren't using ACC. OBTW I have never experienced the Vehicle slamming on the brakes when driving either of my Eyesight equipped Vehicles unless I was directly behind the vehicle that I am approaching unless they are fully stopped, I was not paying any attention and did not brake normally.

Laughter is the key to happiness

Edited by Yoda_One
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

So far it's almost caused 3 accidents jamming on the brakes as cars were in the next lane or in a turn lane ...

There's no easy way to say this, but I think you really need to re-evaluate your driving style. If EyeSight "almost caused 3 accidents" in a short period of time, then you're doing something very wrong. You have read the EyeSight manual, haven't you?

I've been living with two EyeSight-equipped Subarus for 2 1/2 years, and I'm seldom even aware that it's there ... except that EyeSight never gets tired, careless, or distracted.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I use ACC all the time in city type traffic, works great. Occasionally if a car you are following is going to turn and you know the lane will clear ACC will activate warnings/braking because it thinks that car is still going to be in the lane when you get there, but overall it is entirely predictable and works amazingly well, and for me, lowers my blood pressure in traffic because I just sit back a bit and let the car do its thing.

In any case, the dealer probably won't disable Eyesight for the OP, and probably won't tell you how to do it, and really, trading the car is a better option than messing with that system, but to each his own.

I'd like to see what his insurance company, who is giving him policy coverage and a premium based on a car that has specific safety features, says when they find out that those features, which are designed to reduce liability and likelihood/severity of claim, have been disabled. Edited by GTEASER

I presume OP wanted the 3.6R which comes standard with eyesight. He didn't ask for any of your opinions on how to drive and bashing him for wanting to turn it off. Simply just answer his question.. I have a premium trim so no experience with eyesight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I presume OP wanted the 3.6R which comes standard with eyesight. He didn't ask for any of your opinions on how to drive and bashing him for wanting to turn it off. Simply just answer his question.. I have a premium trim so no experience with eyesight.

Touring does, limited doesn't I thought. OP needs to fill out their profile with their car info

Eyesight is a pain in the ass and I could never live with it on my daily driver. However, the Legacy is the wife's and it makes me feel better to know she has it, and it doesnt seem to bother her.

Also, Eyesight comes with the higher end models, so its not like you can chose to avoid it you want an H6 at a higher trim level.

Although, I do agree, if you're finding that Eyesight is 'almost causing accidents' multiple times, the issue probably isnt the Eyesight.

Simply just answer his question..

We did, there is no "safe" way to permanently disable Eyesight, which is integrated into the car he bought.

He can ask the dealer to disable it, call SOA, or complain on this forum, but the answer is either get used to it (or the multiple warning lights when he disables is with the buttons below the dash), or trade for a car without it (not all 3.6 come with Eyesight, just most of them).

Edited by upstater

We did, there is no "safe" way to permanently disable Eyesight, which is integrated into the car he bought.

He can ask the dealer to disable it, call SOA, or complain on this forum, but the answer is either get used to it (or the multiple warning lights when he disables is with the buttons below the dash), or trade for a car without it (not all 3.6 come with Eyesight, just most of them).

What I think he wanted to know is, the default behavior is "on" when ignition is switched on, is it possible to change the default to "off"? I'd like to know myself, in case I have EyeSite on my next car. There are plenty of situations where EyeSite is not desirable (many of them enumerated in the owner's manual). Instead, he gets hit with a bunch of commentary. Just answer the question if you know the answer, seems reasonable even if you don't think it's a good idea for YOU to change the default. IMHO.

Edited by MilesA

Any insight on this subect would help because mine is automatically turned off and i would like to know how to turn this feature on as soon as i turn the key. Also any tips on locking the car doors when i shift to drive would help as well.

Eyesight is on soon as the vehicle is started but I believe you are wondering about ACC, It is only engaged manually and at the present time it cannot be modified.

Edited by Yoda_One

What I think he wanted to know is, the default behavior is "on" when ignition is switched on, is it possible to change the default to "off"? I'd like to know myself, in case I have EyeSite on my next car. There are plenty of situations where EyeSite is not desirable (many of them enumerated in the owner's manual). Instead, he gets hit with a bunch of commentary. Just answer the question if you know the answer, seems reasonable even if you don't think it's a good idea for YOU to change the default. IMHO.

There are very few circumstances that Eyesight disengages. My personal experience with both Eyesight enabled vehicles that I purchased, I can ount on 1✋.

Been answered multiple times, the default mode is on, it can be shut off temporarily which generates multiple annoying dash lights, there to remind you that you have disabled the safety systems integrated into the car.

Those lights also come on, rarely, when the system disables itself (such as in very bright sunlight or torrential downpours).

You cannot permanently disable the system, that is the answer.

But you, or OP, or anyone else is free to ask their dealer or SOA how to do so. Expect them to tell you it is not possible, feel free to prove me wrong, but stop saying we haven't answered the question, how many times do we need to say the same thing, in multiple ways, before you believe the answer?

Let's hear from another new person telling us we haven't answered the original question...just offered opinions...

PS: EyeSight, not EyeSite, Subaru spells like a champ.

Edited by upstater

^^ What be said.

Stupid questions deserve Stupid answers.[emoji38]

It's​ really not a question that put us off but the added detailed information that the Op added about his personal driving habits.😉

Edited by Yoda_One

Yes mother! 😊

There are very few circumstances that Eyesight disengages. My personal experience with both Eyesight enabled vehicles that I purchased, I can ount on 1✋.

mine has shut off very briefly in bright sunlight once or twice, flickered on and off during a snow storm once, and once shut down during torrential rain (that was a prolonged outage, visibility was very bad).

Been answered multiple times, the default mode is on, it can be shut off temporarily which generates multiple annoying dash lights, there to remind you that you have disabled the safety systems integrated into the car.

Those lights also come on, rarely, when the system disables itself (such as in very bright sunlight or torrential downpours).

You cannot permanently disable the system, that is the answer.

But you, or OP, or anyone else is free to ask their dealer or SOA how to do so. Expect them to tell you it is not possible, feel free to prove me wrong, but stop saying we haven't answered the question, how many times do we need to say the same thing, in multiple ways, before you believe the answer?

Let's hear from another new person telling us we haven't answered the original question...just offered opinions...

PS: EyeSight, not EyeSite, Subaru spells like a champ.

OK, thanks. Spelling, right, I'm surprised they were able to get a trademark on that. Marketing people often misspell things on purpose. :)

It is my opinion that eyesight is not ready for prime time. In my 2017 Legacy Premium, that I no longer have because Subaru bought it back, I had many issues with the system jamming on the brakes when there was no obstruction or obstacles in front or off to the side of me. You would be just driving down the road minding your own business when all of a sudden the brakes would apply fully with a rumbling sound, like the ABS engaged.

There were no obstacles that would have set it off. I was honked at and given the finger more than a couple of times from the driver behind me when this happened. A white knuckle car for sure that my wife refused to drive.

Subaru replaced the ABS module a couple of times but it did not resolve the issue. I believed it had something to do with Eyesight. But they said that it must be something else. Although they were not able to fix the issue.

That vehicle also had issues with the brakes going to the floor and having to pump them up in order to remain stopped on a hill. One dealer stated the car was working "as designed" but other dealers and independent mechanics wrote they witnessed the brake pedal going to the floor. The brakes are controlled and operated partially by the eyesight system.

Eventually, when the problem couldn't be found and fixed, Subaru offered to repurchase the vehicle. I accepted and purchased a 2017 Outback Limited WITHOUT eyesight. When I changed the insurance from the Legacy to the Outback I was told the cost was cheaper because my new vehicle didn't have Eyesight. Apparently, eyesight hasn't proven itself in the eyes of Insurance companies yet, with it possibly causing as many accidents as it prevents.

There were other issues with that vehicle as well. But they're not relevant to this discussion.