LegacyGT.com

License Plate Light Troubleshooting

Noticed my plate lights were both out a few weeks ago. Since then I've replaced them twice.

They had 194s in there, so I first replaced them with new 194s, then read in the manual that they should be 168s.

Neither bulb swap worked, and I can't find a blown fuse, which seemed unlikely anyway.

Anyone have any ideas as to where to go next?

are you the original owner of the car? was the trunk door replaced for any reason? Take a multimeter (buy one if you don't already have one) and set it to 20V and test to see if any voltage is getting to the bulb holders (with the car on etc etc)... if not, look for some broken wires or a connector that might not be connected... I would first re-check all the fuses (under hood and under steering wheel... or where ever the license plate lights fuse is located via the owners manual)

• 3 years later...

I had to take the interior plastic panel off of the hatch. There was a wire in there that was connected with a loose fitting connector. I cut it out and soldered it instead.

I basically worked backwards with a DMM from the bulbs to where I first started getting voltage.

Archived