LegacyGT.com

Sell modded, bring to stock/sell, or trade?

I have a 2006 outback xt black on black. 170k on the clock with a new built engine with under 8k on it. I am wanting to go back to the slow quiet life and get a different vehicle, crazy I know. I have other things to pay attention to these days and a high maintenance princess for a car isn't convenient right now.

The mods:

Cobb AP v2 with 26 psi tune for e85 making 440whp

EJ255 with pistons, rods, bearings, and head studs.

EFR 6758 IRL turbo.

Custom 3" catless exhaust for rotated orientation with 2 vibrant resonators

Custom uppipe for rotated orientation

Avo Mufflers

Walboro 450

ID1700's

tgv deletes

Full Race EL header with temp coating

Sti MCB

Mishimoto Catchcan

Group N mounts, pitch, and trans mount.

Kart Boy Short Shifter

Sti Front seats with no lights and full function.

Lowered on Spec b take offs with swift springs

Stock wheels with no tires

Crosstrek wheels with 1 season old hakk R2s

Fortune Auto 500's with less then 5-6k on them.

Damd round steering wheel

Redline shifter and ebrake boot with black alcantra and red stitch

White line Sway bars

White line adjustable rear control arms

Liberal Extended Wing Copy from Madrig

Stage 3 clutch, it does have a little chatter going into first.

The bad

Visible hail damage on roof. You have to look for it to see it though. 3 minorish dents along the roofline.

A small amount of bubbling rust near the top of the windshield a few inches in length. No flaking yet.

I no longer have the stock turbo, tmic, and uppipe. I may need a stock intake.

I still want something like a wagon. I'm thinking a gen 2 outback with na or h6 would be a good replacement or something similar. For various reasons I do not want the car anymore but if the argument to keep is very strong I could probably do it. I also think I want an automatic instead of a manual.

With all that said, I have never sold a car before and usually drive them into the ground. What opinions do you guys have for the best way to get out of this?

Thanks!

Balance the work/cost to bring it back to stock with what you'd get if you are able to sell the parts.

The emissions impacting mods might be a problem for some buyers though.

Finding the right buyer is a challenge regardless if modded or not.

453747.png

Dude, you just finished the car!

That being said, I think these cars are only worth it to people on these boards.

Unfortunately Gex is right, unless you have an incredibly well put together wagon like Scooby2.5s, they just aren't worth much.

Edit: can I buy your extended wing?

I'd tune it for 91 octane around here, and sell it. Not cheap to bring something back to stock, the money invested is already lost.

Might as well sell it and get what you can.

I am doing rust work and am in a similar boat. After a house, a new car is in line.

I'm done with mods, maybe suspension and tint, but am done otherwise...

Looking at a newish STi hatchback, 2010-2012 Audi a6 3.0t wagon, evo x with an auto, or maybe even a tesla by then..

Can you take some of the mods off so its more driver friendly?

There's no harm in trying to sell it as is. I'm sure you'd make more money parting it out. Depends what you want to get out of it and how much time you have.

I think the best option is to remove everything myself, sell it, buy used oem, and then throw a cobb stage 1 on. I'll get a couple thou in parts, where as I probably wouldnt get more then 2 over book with parts if I am super lucky.

My life has slowed down in a few ways and a loud fast car doesn't seem to align with it. But I'm going to wait a month and see what happens. I have spare car available at the moment so its not a problem.

• Moderators

Here's my take. I think scooby2.5 sold his for what, 14k? His was an AWESOME high mileage wagon (OBXT). I recently parted my out. In good running condition, could I have pulled 14k for my 6mt OBXT with solid mods? Maybe, who knows really. But I parted it out (including some spare parts in the garage) for about $22k. That includes the shell (no motor or drive train, but all the lights, interior, etc, included, selling for about $1700).

So yeah, if you can deal with the time / effort / space--part it out.

Better yet, make a spreadsheet and calculate what you can sell. Weight that against the "market value" for your car. And be realistic on both, and make your decision.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

A stock OBXT nowadays, sells for maybe 5k-6k? (Not counting the LGT.com inflation) If it were me, I'd just sell the really go fast bits (the big turbo, coilovers, big exhaust etc), buy a stock turbo, stock-ish suspension, stock exhaust, etc, and run a cobb stage 1/2 to turn down the driving experience a couple of notches; you'll still have a somewhat fun, but near-stock wagon for daily driving. You spent a lot of time already getting the car running well and setup for the big power, that includes the maintenance; you'll end up doing the same to any new-to-you car you purchase.

Just for some perspective, I parted out my old Legacy after I crashed it (swapped ej205, vf23, 6 speed, recaros, bbk, the whole bit), it took me almost a year and a half to completely part it out. I made about 5k from parts, minus the 6 speed trans (keep in mind the car as it sat was prob worth 1-2k at most to the insurance co.), so I could have potentially made about 8k from the whole deal. The shell was hauled off for a loss as it was during the time China was flooding the market with cheap steel, so car shells were not as valuable as they used to be. After that experience, I would honestly not do that to any perfectly running car - just not worth the time, and the space required.

If you have the time and resources to part out, that's the only way I recommend people go with modified cars.

Unfortunately when trying to sell a modified car, you're losing out on a large potential buyer base as generally people who aren't into cars will tend to avoid modified examples. As for how much value the modifications add to the value of the car, it really just depends on waiting for the right buyer to come along who's willing to put the extra money down for a modified example over a stock one

Archived