LegacyGT.com

raising my sagging 07 2.5i with new struts

keviwe

My 07 Legacy 2.5i seems to be sagging in the rear (rear tire is not symmetrical with the wheel well opening like I notice on other 2.5i's). I just moved to CO and now I tow a small ATV trailer behind the subie. The hitch is low to the ground and now I drive on many unpaved roads and sometimes the hitch scrapes the road. I have 72K miles on the car and it's due for struts front & rear. I would like to raise the car about an inch. Big O Tires says their Monroe struts (with lifetime warranty - I like this!) might raise it a bit but he isn't sure. I do not want to stiffen the ride comfort in any way. Does some company make pre-assembled-(with new springs) for this car? Could I use Legacy Outback pre-loaded struts and accomplish my goal? I think some front top hats can

change ride height but what about the rear? I can turn a wrench but I don't have any spring compressors or air tools. Big O Tires wants about $850 during their "buy 3 get 4th free" sale. BTW I'm on a budget.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you're going to need to replace the rear springs too, as they may be worn from additional towing load. I've put in Legacy suspension into an Outback to lower it, so I don't see why you can't put an Outback suspension into a Legacy, given they're the same models. Check craigslist or subaruoutback.org for some used set of OB suspension. If you get a set of struts and springs that is already assembled, then it'd just be a bolt on job. No spring compressing necessary.

If you want to lift the rear only, you can get spacers that you put between top of rear struts and car body. I think the thickest spacers available is 1/2". But you're going to need longer bolts and I wouldn't stack up two of these spacers to get an inch lift. I'd go the OB suspension route.

You can certainly do this yourself, and you don't need air compressors. Air compressors sure will make your life a lot easier, as you will encounter bolts that are difficult to remove. I've done many suspension jobs on with only hand tools and rental spring compressor from Autozone, just make sure you give yourself plenty of time to do this.

• 2 weeks later...

They should fit. The wagon rear springs have different spring rates than those of a sedan, therefore would raise the back a bit more, which I think, with the towing that you do would make your car level. I don't recommend you getting the rear OB suspension only, and keeping the front stock Legacy suspension. If you're gonna do this, I recommend you getting both front and back OB suspension which will lift the WHOLE car.

Check out this thread. This is for an older model, but should give you an idea.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/converting-gt-into-outback-129722p5.html?highlight=outback+suspension

I have been warned in another thread that putting Outback springs (& struts) will affect drive line geometry. Outback's apparently have "spacers or shims" to drop the rear diff which allows better alignment of the axles. For these reasons, I think I have decided to just use a 1/2" spacer like you mention at the top of the springs. Where can I buy a pair of these spring spacers? (I will be replacing my struts with hand tools and an Autozone-rented spring compressor). BTW, Autozone offers Gabriel struts that come with a "lifetime warranty" which is very desirable if I do not ever have to do this job again. I also hear that NAPA also offers a strut with a lifetime warranty. I know, "not-guaranteed" but if they are willing to offer a lifetime warranty, they must have some quality/longevity built into their product.

Thanks for your advice!

I just bought a pair of 1/4" spacers from paranoidfabrications.com. Fred Beans Parts and infamous performance (M Spranks) also sell them. They are registered vendors in LGT.com. With 1/2" spacers, you're going to need longer studs. These vendors sell them also. I also recommend you replace your rear springs too as they may be worn out. You may want to get wagon specific rear springs as they are designed for heavier rear end. Gabriel and Monroe have been making shocks for a long time, I think you should be ok with them, though I don't have personal experience with them.

I heard a lot of people having difficulty removing the lower bolts. You may want to spray a lot of PB Blaster to help loosen them up. You're also going to need a breaker bar. Mine is a 24" long galvanized steel pipe from Home Depot.

Archived