LegacyGT.com

6 mt center diff replacement

roundthirteen

Hi, I have the slow speed, turn, shudders/clicking, in parking lots after about an hour of driving recently. From what I've read all roads lead to the center diff going bad. I had a year and a half of bent wheel, bad alignment, pot hole, issues where my tires wore funky so I think that did it.

My question- what would you replace with the diff? I know there's some bearings in there as well.

My car's not a sleeper it's a hibernator.

http://pure-tuning.com

I would think it depends on what you find when the tranny is opened up.

You may want to ask m sprank for his thought's. There really isn't any tranny expert on here since BAC 5.2 left years ago.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I replaced one in my STI like five years ago and it is pretty straight forward. Remove the driveshaft, shift linkage, exhaust sections, and support the trans with a jack as you remove the bolts for the crossmember. Unbolt the tail shaft housing (transfer gears will come with it, not a big deal) and slide the center diff out and some needle bearings should follow with it if I recall. Reverse install, but use a little petroleum jelly or equivalent to hold the needle bearings in place when you slide the new center diff onto the shaft and I used Hondabond to seal the tail shaft housing back in place. This is a rough run-down on how its done, its been awhile since I did it. Good luck!

I have the same issue going on in my 2010GT. I have heard that we share the same 6MT trans as the 2015 WRX...? I was looking into the 2015 and it looks like it has a different center diff, at least from how it reads on the WIki...?

I was thinking to save time and maybe get a better part, pick up a transfer case from a 15WRX in the salvage yard and swap them out. I imagine the splines don't match or something.

If I can't find any more info saying the transfer cases can be swapped, I guess I will just pick up a OEM center diff and get to work.

• 4 weeks later...

I couldn't find a good upgrade for the stock center diff, so I bought a new stock center diff and installed it last weekend.

I figured getting a new center diff was a better idea than getting a used one.

When I took the old diff out it didn't look any different than the new one I had in hand. I was a little leery that it was going to fix my issue at that point, but after some driving I'm sure it fixed my parking lot diff slip/clunk issue!

Archived