LegacyGT.com

04 impreza strut,springs question

Alright. I have looked through the FAQ regarding this but it has me with some questions

1. if i swap to using 04 springs and struts do i need to use the tophats from the 04?
  2. since my legacy is a sedan i know i use the sedan wrx setup. will i have to include the spacers or is that for something regarding the wagons?
  3. im not really looming for too low but im happy with the inch drop. is there a particular spring that wont lower it beyond a inch i can use?

I think for an inch drop you use 04 sti springs/struts, I think wrx is more like 1/2" also I think 04 does not need different top hats but I know the information is in the sticky thread

and the 3/8" rear spacers is a wagon thing

for any lower you would use the lowering springs for the same application the struts are for, if you use sti struts/springs and want another 1/2" you need 1/2" sti lowering springs

you can use both 04 sti and 04 wrx strut and spring combo.

the spacers are only for the wagons. and the closest to an inch that i have seen is 1.25 of an inch. but im sure the 1 inch are out there. if not just find stock wrx springs. they will lower the car about half an inch. hope this helped!

I would suggest trying the stock wrx or sti springs for your desired drop. You can pick them up relatively cheap so it won't be a terrible loss if they don't meet your expectations. I picked up a set of wrx drop springs that lowered a GD chassis 1.5" but on my bk wagon the drop was more like 2.5"! They were on my wagon all of 2 days before I took them off. It looked good, just too low for my daily driver.

cal71919 I am looking to lower my '99 WAGON and was looking at picking up the WRX combo not the STI.

What I have read so far is that I should only get about a 1" drop with the WRX and about 2 with the STI.

WHat do you recommend?

I would say whichever set you can get the best deal on. Regardless of which you get, you should pick up a set of saggy butt spacers. 3/8" should be sufficient. Also, make sure you use the upper spring seat for the front springs you get. The diameter of the top of the legacy/outback spring is a little larger than the wrx/sti spring.

Archived