LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

you're right scuba, the sonoma gt was the 2wd version, though considerably toned down since it wasn't turbo'd

The Sonoma GT was an appearance package that 'looked' like a Syclone on exterior and interior. GM did some performance updgrades to the motors that was available with rest of the s-series truck a year later. Some people love the SGT, I could care less.

Yup I think so, and VERY toned down! IIRC those beasts were 4 and something seconds to 60mph trucks from the factory, in the early '90s!

WRX's of the time were 6.5 second cars lol

The 0-06 was advertised as 4.6 seconds. When I ran a 12.9 with minor mods my 0-60 was 4.1secs on scan tool. It is down in the mid 3's now.

yeah those trucks were insane. I'm not a truck guy in the slightest, but god i'd rock the crap out of one of those beasts in a second.

I am not truck person either. I first experienced one at the street races in the early 90's when an old guy showed up with his Syclone and smoked my friends decently quick bolt on 5.0 Mustang. (The old guy was probably around my age now). I always remember that truck and moment. I bought my Syclone as a daily driver in 2001, which a lasted about a moment. It had low miles, never seen winter and was too nice to subject to winters. I really like how it launched off the line and put the power down with the AWD and I decided to get rid of my Corvette at the time. Shortly after buying my Syclone, a friend when he saw my Syclone said one coworkers had a broken Typhoon that he trying to get rid of. I got that for cheap money and daily drove that. It was beast in the snow, which got me interested in AWD daily drivers like my Subarus.

The set up I'm leaning towards most are 12 lbs lighter per wheel I'm wearing now, with smaller diameter than my current wheels/tires, and a larger contact patch by roughly an inch. Also planning on doing a stickier tire than what I'm wearing lol. 18x8 would be bit lighter, sure, but would be a reduction in contact patch over what I have now and what I'm looking at getting.

Hi Humble..... I been reading this post and...How much do your current wheels weigh? 12 pounds would be a huge reduction per wheel. When I went to my current wheels...OZ Racing Crono HT 18x8 they came out 2 pounds lighter than stock, and that is a noticeable amount. Unless your current wheels are over 30 pounds there is no way to get anywhere near that 12 pound goal. To get 18's under 20 pounds you will have to go to "Uber expensive" pure racing wheels..... I think if you check Tire Rack you will see that even at 18x8.5 the lightest will be around 18.5 to 19 pounds and will be about $500 each....the really light wheels are all around 17x7.5 which defeats your goal totally. Keep us posted ;)

Yeah, my Five:AD's in 19x8.5 are by no means light. I stood on my bathroom scale both holding and not holding one of my wheels, and from what my memory tells me, they weighed 31 lbs each. The stock 17s, again from what my memory tells me, weigh 27 each. The wheels I'm look at getting in 18x9.5 weight 19 lbs each.

As for price, the wheels I'm looking at are about $300 a wheel. Really not too bad, something I can likely save up for over the winter and afford by spring when I'd need them again. Mach V Awesomes/Wicked Awesomes in 18x9.5. The company that makes them has stated they had Subarus specifically in mind when they designed these wheels in both fitment and price, and wanted to make a good, lightweight, reasonably priced track-ready wheel. Also, they look an awful lot like your wheels, Scooby. :) They're available in different finishes too, haven't decided what finish I want yet.

WbEU7OK.png

Edited by Humble Rumble

If I saw them at a glance I would have thought they were like mine....GREAT choice ;) That weight reduction will make a huge difference in handling.

The OEM wheels for a Canadian 3.6R Legacy are 17x7.5 and IIRC weigh about 22 pounds....my OZ's are 18.8pounds and the difference is very noticeable when driving, shall we say, "Spirited" style ;)

Here is a great reference site..... not sure how up to date but good starting place

https://www.andysautosport.com/learning_center/buyers_guides/wheel_weights/

Edited by Scooby Fan

Yeah, my Five:AD's in 19x8.5 are by no means light. I stood on my bathroom scale both holding and not holding one of my wheels, and from what my memory tells me, they weighed 31 lbs each. The stock 17s, again from what my memory tells me, weigh 27 each. The wheels I'm look at getting in 18x9.5 weight 19 lbs each.

As for price, the wheels I'm looking at are about $300 a wheel. Really not too bad, something I can likely save up for over the winter and afford by spring when I'd need them again. Mach V Awesomes/Wicked Awesomes in 18x9.5. The company that makes them has stated they had Subarus specifically in mind when they designed these wheels in both fitment and price, and wanted to make a good, lightweight, reasonably priced track-ready wheel. Also, they look an awful lot like your wheels, Scooby. :) They're available in different finishes too, haven't decided what finish I want yet.

WbEU7OK.png

DAMN your wheels are heavy! even the TSWs i think are under 30.

My Konig Deceptions are 18X8 and only 22.5. Its about 5lbs a wheel less than the stock ones.

Edited by Golferdude1087

Test drove an Ascent yesterday. There was an email we got about a kind of release event. It was kinda dead at the dealer, but I drove a Touring model ($47k [emoji15]). It was nice, but very big. I’m 5’-10” and my hair was just rubbing the roof in the 3rd row. Not bad, but I would rather have an Outback myself. Also, the spare is under the vehicle, probably no room with the 3rd row.

They did have freebies, and they gave me this:

b54a8679150b598e87409e35ac796417.jpg

I’d say pretty cool for just doing a test drive. These things run for $85 new. I would never have considered getting one, but it was free [emoji6].

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My wife finally noticed the wheels on my car even though she was under the impression that this was a car I was not going to modify. To quote her words exactly she said those are some serious wheels on this car... I lauged a lot internally but kept a straight face

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

not to worry, I am not going to buy the gtr nismo seats at 15k a piece...I promise.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

The Sonoma GT was an appearance package that 'looked' like a Syclone on exterior and interior. GM did some performance updgrades to the motors that was available with rest of the s-series truck a year later. Some people love the SGT, I could care less.

The 0-06 was advertised as 4.6 seconds. When I ran a 12.9 with minor mods my 0-60 was 4.1secs on scan tool. It is down in the mid 3's now.

I am not truck person either. I first experienced one at the street races in the early 90's when an old guy showed up with his Syclone and smoked my friends decently quick bolt on 5.0 Mustang. (The old guy was probably around my age now). I always remember that truck and moment. I bought my Syclone as a daily driver in 2001, which a lasted about a moment. It had low miles, never seen winter and was too nice to subject to winters. I really like how it launched off the line and put the power down with the AWD and I decided to get rid of my Corvette at the time. Shortly after buying my Syclone, a friend when he saw my Syclone said one coworkers had a broken Typhoon that he trying to get rid of. I got that for cheap money and daily drove that. It was beast in the snow, which got me interested in AWD daily drivers like my Subarus.

That's quite a journey with GMC!

Looking back, reading about the Syclone way back then, how it ran the way it did with little drama, was one of the things that got me clued in early that AWD is a good way to run high horsepower and eventually paving the way for getting into Subarus myself.

Your truck lools really clean and looks pretty much how I remember the magazines showing it. Glad it didnt get visors and other 90's trends on it lol!

Less than 4 to 60 and the quarter in 12's is awesome!

...and here I was, thinking you were trading engines with Brendan pre-sale.

Congrats on the purchase! Bought a garage (with house attached, conveniently) myself not quite 10 months ago, and based on that, I can say you'll have no shortage of projects. Thankfully, most of mine have been things I've wanted to do- I've only *had* to replace the garbage disposal and the refrigerator thermostat so far, everything else has been optional. Unless you count wall-mounting a TV downstairs, hanging a 60A subpanel in the garage, and now insulating said garage as mandatory items, in which case I'm doing exactly as much as I have to.

^^^Nope, actually we just found out Friday that my wife got hired full time again. Also, found out that I am getting a big promotion as well. Things are all better in Brendan land. Just pulled my car from the classifieds. Not for sale any more.

Stu, can't wait to see the new house.

Brendan's definitely been a huge help with letting me ask questions and giving suggestions.

The home surprisingly doesn't need much immediate attention. Most they are handling after the inspection was done. Of course my gf will want to make it more "homey" inside and then come next spring I'm sure the outdoor work will keep me on my toes for awhile. Couple big trees out front so I'll be starting cleaning up leaves here soon. One thing I'm excited for is an area in the back for a small garden so that'll be a good start for a little compost in the meantime.

Go figure. Today on my way home my truck started making a huge racket from the rear diff. I just rebuilt it a while ago, but I'm thinking towing an 8k lb trailer To idaho might have been a bit rough on it. I'm tearing it down this weekend to see what's up. This may be the end for the truck though. 330k miles and 2wd here in idaho may just not be worth fixing it.