LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

Upset and tired at the same time. My sister in-law backed up the Legacy into a light post orange boulder in the shopping center parking lot with my mother in-law, wife and my newborn son. She must of hit it so hard that the corner of the rear bumper has orange scratch paint. I'm going to see if I can buff it out before I fork out the cash for my body man (guessing around $600) Edited by amusa

Ew! IMO, that's a bigger mistake then buying a boat. Way too big. I'd consider a Forest River A-frame pop-up setup with a toilet and shower, 1500 pounds is plenty.

Do your own bathroom conversion in an enclosed trailer that can double as your kart racing rig.

Had to order side skirt plastic clips after I notice the skirt was hanging low at the back door. I believe my sister in-law daughter stepped on the side skirt when entering and exiting the vehicle that was the same side where her car seat was mounted.

Had to order side skirt plastic clips after I notice the skirt was hanging low at the back door. I believe my sister in-law daughter stepped on the side skirt when entering and exiting the vehicle that was the same side where her car seat was mounted.

totally something I need to do to. 4 year old daughter does the same.

Finally bought a scanner (ANCEL AD310). Need something basic for the house. Instead of making a run to the shop to pick up the Snap-On. I still need to order the iCarsoft scanner to keep in the house.

Side skirt is getting fix this weekend.

Son has his first photo shoot tonight at the studio.

Edited by amusa

Looks pretty similar to the Nameless GB DP, only not catted, and we know that that one doesn't work particularly well for doing what it's was marketed to do.

8a6a0822b069a0c5f6b3e01790688d8d.jpg

Yeah it sucks but I gotta get rid of it. My wife lost her job and if I can get a decent number for the car it would help a lot.
I had this bad feeling way back when you said she got a job in Idaho. Sorry to hear man.

I am curious how a down pipe will fix the small wastegate.

Looking at the design it looks like it takes off less pressure (load) off the wastegate while in boost.

I don't know what the spring is rated on the wastegate. This will also play a factor.

Edited by amusa

I had this bad feeling way back when you said she got a job in Idaho. Sorry to hear man.

The problem isn't so much the idaho thing. It's that she is a teacher. They decided to remove her position from the district. If she gets another position elsewhere I may be able to make it work though.

Looking at the design it looks like it takes off less pressure (load) off the wastegate while in boost.

I don't know what the spring is rated on the wastegate. This will also play a factor.

I'm not sure I follow that explanation, nothing you do after the Wastegate is going to affect what it can physically flow. The general problem has been a higher flowing exhaust leads to more flow through the turbo maxing out the wastegate flow and causing boost creep or over boost. The spring makes no difference.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I follow that explanation, nothing you do after the Wastegate is going to affect what it can physically flow. Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

C'mon man. Really? That is not true ("nothing you do after the Wastegate is going to affect what it can physically flow").

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the design philosophy behind a divorced downpipe is good science (e.g., basically, turbulence over the WG exit will decrease flow therefrom so divorcing the WG and combining later when the airflows are more laminar will increase flow). That is obviously what they were going for. Unfortunately, it appears that zero engineering and little-to-zero testing went into their design, much like the majority of aftermarket crap we throw on our cars.

What you're saying is true in most cases, but not the 5th gen GT's.

Read this:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/nameless-downpipe-official-5th-gen-gt-install-thread-247036.html

I painstakingly read through the whole thing and I wouldn't expect that pipe to do anything for a 5th gen, but YMMV.

My tuner told me about boost creep on the 5th gens and I went down the rabbit hole.:)

The design philosophy got me into it too, that's why I bought the group buy Nameless DP.

The reality is that I had to port my wastegate. Divorced wastegate downpipes may improve the post-wastegate flow as they are designed to, but that just doesn't help if the wastegate size/design is the limiting factor. So I wouldn't pay any extra for a divorced DP if you're going to have to port anyways and that does seem to solve the problem.

If I could do it over, I'd buy a catless DP and add in a cat farther downstream than the catted DPs do, similar to some of the offerings for the 2015+ WRX.