LegacyGT.com

LGT Owners, what car will you drive next?

• I Donated
Kind of ironic you should wreck on a track day in the SS given how many debates you have entertained on the merits (or lack thereof, if I recall your opinion correctly) of AWD in the wet...:rolleyes:
I hydroplaned at WOT in a car with 415 hp. AWD wouldn't have fixed that.

Hey, I hit a fence at 60 mph in my kart after I convinced myself I could take it flat. Nope. Two broken wrists and an arm. Such a reward. My kart buddies just laughed at me, but at least they loaded up my stuff and drove it home while I went to the hospital. Wife was not impressed with my bravery. How are you going to paint the guest room now!?! was her response. I hope your wife was more sympathetic.

Btw, what track?

Edited by KartRacerBoy

• I Donated
Hey, I hit a fence at 60 mph in my kart after I convinced myself I could take it flat. Nope. Two broken wrists and an arm. Such a reward. My kart buddies just laughed at me, but at least they loaded up my stuff and drove it home while I went to the hospital.

Yeah, I didn't have that problem. Considering how fast I was going when I lost control, it could have been really bad, but I essentially sideswiped the jersey wall. I was actually kind of surprised... I though at least something would hurt a bit once the adrenalin wore off, but I wasn't even sore the next morning.

Wife was not impressed with my bravery. How are you going to paint the guest room now!?! was her response. I hope your wife was more sympathetic.

I mean, she was pissed I totaled the car, but she let me replace a $50k car I crashed with another $50k car, so I guess not that pissed?

Btw, what track?

Dominion Raceway in Thornburg, VA. Fun track for the couple of laps I got to do, but my understanding is there have been concerns about limited runoff area before. I was actually going to do a track day there with my WRX in 2016, but it ended up getting canceled, twice. Heard through the grapevine that SCCA had safety concerns and that's why all track days there were canceled that year.

I mean, she was pissed I totaled the car, but she let me replace a $50k car I crashed with another $50k car, so I guess not that pissed?

Your wife gets bonus points for that. Did you have track insurance or did you have to absorb the loss of the vehicle yourself?

• I Donated
Or has your wife forbidden track days? I'm thinking the latter. At least a period of probation.

Ding ding ding ding!

I was signed up for an autocross before I totaled the SS. Went to that one with my Stinger, but then asked my wife if I could sign up for an autocross school in the Philly region. She said no, no more autocross for the rest of the year. She will probably let me autocross again next year, but I am guessing it's going to be a while before any more track days. The last one I had before this one was in 2013, so I figure around 2023 she might relent. :lol:

Oh, well played Mrs. Fulton. Give her hubby a potent car but then make him drive it in old man mode. :lol:

"Honey, that pressure you're feeling is my hand squeezing your nuts. Behave!"

I wrecked my 86 RX-7 twice on the street (both one car accidents with minor damage cz'd by my excessive zeal). My wife told me to get a racing kart and drive a family car. Win!

Edited by KartRacerBoy

I ended up with the Stinger. GT2 RWD in Micro Blue. Ticked over 4500 miles today. I wish it had a stick, and I miss the V8 exhaust note, but otherwise I love it.

Nice! Any little problems with it? I've been keeping up with Q50 and Stinger developments.. Trying to (most likely) decide between those two as an LGT replacement. Wife says she wants to drive the LGT to work and park the minivan :lol:.

I've heard rumors about various Stinger issues and so many "Kia dealers are very low-end service wise" stories I believe there's something to it..

• I Donated
Nice! Any little problems with it? I've been keeping up with Q50 and Stinger developments.. Trying to (most likely) decide between those two as an LGT replacement. Wife says she wants to drive the LGT to work and park the minivan :lol:.

I've heard rumors about various Stinger issues and so many "Kia dealers are very low-end service wise" stories I believe there's something to it..

I had an issue with the shift-by-wire shifter where I'd try to shift into drive and it would shift to neutral instead. At one point, I went to make a U-turn and was stuck in the middle of the road for 30 seconds while I tried to get it in drive. Turns out, it was a combination of design flaw and user error. The shifter has two positions, one towards the front of the car and one towards the back, plus detents past each position (one towards the front, one towards the back) that spring back to the middle two positions. In order to shift into reverse, you push all the way towards the front; in order to shift into drive, you pull all the way to the back. If you are move to the other normal position when in gear (towards the front if in drive, towards the rear if in reverse, you go into neutral.

Turns out, if you pull all the way back (or push all the way forward) and let go, it springs right past the position it's supposed to go in and into the other one, and thus into neutral. Basically, there should be more resistance between the two positions to prevent this, and there's not. Without that, when the shifter springs back, it goes too far. At least now that I know what causes the issue, I can work around it.

Other than that, I have a loose reflector on the left side forward of the tail light, the light gray leather marks easily, and I've had a few weird things happen with the stereo (volume changing/muting out of the blue, and once the clock didn't work until I shut the car off for a while). No other problems, although I have heard of plenty of paint issues (especially with the yellow -- which Kia has acknowledged and is offering all owners of yellow Stingers a repaint and $5000 cash, a direct trade to a new Stinger of a different color, or a buyback) and a few cases of dead starters (it has a start/stop system).

And yes, the dealer service departments seem to be less than optimal, but Kia does have a premium support line for the Stinger and K900 that seems to be pretty good and has a tendency to get dealers' asses in gear.

Thanks! Appreciate all the comments.. How do you feel about the transmission in manual mode? I know there was some annoyance about it not staying in manual unless you're in sport+ mode or something?

I had an issue with the shift-by-wire shifter where I'd try to shift into drive and it would shift to neutral instead. At one point, I went to make a U-turn and was stuck in the middle of the road for 30 seconds while I tried to get it in drive. Turns out, it was a combination of design flaw and user error. The shifter has two positions, one towards the front of the car and one towards the back, plus detents past each position (one towards the front, one towards the back) that spring back to the middle two positions. In order to shift into reverse, you push all the way towards the front; in order to shift into drive, you pull all the way to the back. If you are move to the other normal position when in gear (towards the front if in drive, towards the rear if in reverse, you go into neutral.

Turns out, if you pull all the way back (or push all the way forward) and let go, it springs right past the position it's supposed to go in and into the other one, and thus into neutral. Basically, there should be more resistance between the two positions to prevent this, and there's not. Without that, when the shifter springs back, it goes too far. At least now that I know what causes the issue, I can work around it.

Other than that, I have a loose reflector on the left side forward of the tail light, the light gray leather marks easily, and I've had a few weird things happen with the stereo (volume changing/muting out of the blue, and once the clock didn't work until I shut the car off for a while). No other problems, although I have heard of plenty of paint issues (especially with the yellow -- which Kia has acknowledged and is offering all owners of yellow Stingers a repaint and $5000 cash, a direct trade to a new Stinger of a different color, or a buyback) and a few cases of dead starters (it has a start/stop system).

And yes, the dealer service departments seem to be less than optimal, but Kia does have a premium support line for the Stinger and K900 that seems to be pretty good and has a tendency to get dealers' asses in gear.

if it makes you feel any better, the q50 has its share of. lroblems... yep...

I found a nail in my right rear tire today (Sunday).

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

This explains a lot. Why when your driving normally it works one way and when your in a hurry (you slam into gear and release) it can swing back into past center into neutral.

Thanks, never seen this explained on either Stinger forum.

On vacation, rented a Q50 w/ 3.0t. Drove it a few hours to the coast. Nice fit-and-finish and comfy but floaty suspension and imprecise steering. Also, turbo lag and "kick-in" is super annoying. Yep, I know it is not a sports car but, for some reason, I expected more of a 5-series feel and it fell substantially short.

On vacation, rented a Q50 w/ 3.0t. Drove it a few hours to the coast. Nice fit-and-finish and comfy but floaty suspension and imprecise steering. Also, turbo lag and "kick-in" is super annoying. Yep, I know it is not a sports car but, for some reason, I expected more of a 5-series feel and it fell substantially short.

no real lag with a red sport. less floaty suspension... but maybe same steering. you can dial in about 6 settings for the steering in personal mode.

my 3.6r had the same lag as my q50... an automatic transmission.

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

• I Donated
Thanks! Appreciate all the comments.. How do you feel about the transmission in manual mode? I know there was some annoyance about it not staying in manual unless you're in sport+ mode or something?

There is no "Sport+." Modes are Comfort (default), Eco, Sport, Smart (switches between programming of all three modes depending on driving style), and Custom (you can manually set programming of Eco, Comfort, and Sport for individual parameters, e.g. engine/trans, steering, suspension, etc.).

Manual mode in Eco and Comfort is really just for selecting a gear if the TCU gets it wrong. It's going to reset in around a minute no matter what. In Sport, it will hold it, unless you get to redline, and then it will shift. Supposedly the 2019s will just bounce off the limiter, making it a true manual mode on those. Honestly, if it's in Sport, even on the autocross course, it's not a huge issue. On the road, it's usually in the right gear. The programming is actually quite good. When I was autocrossing, I'd shift into first at the line and then up to second soon after the start, and it might shift up to third at some point, but I don't think I was losing too much due to the wide power band.

This explains a lot. Why when your driving normally it works one way and when your in a hurry (you slam into gear and release) it can swing back into past center into neutral.

Thanks, never seen this explained on either Stinger forum.

Yeah, I asked about the car going into neutral automatically on one of the forums before I realized what was happening, and the collective answer was "huh?" :lol: I actually brought it into the dealer and it sat there for a week while they tried to replicate the issue. I thought it only occurred on sunny days when the car was hot, because I hadn't had it happen on any overcast days, so they kept on trying to reproduce it to no avail. Finally, the service writer suggested I drive the car to see if it only happened after the engine warmed up. I got in the car to leave and it happened right away, so the service writer and the tech came over, and we finally figured out it was bouncing out of gear. The Kia regional factory tech was at the dealer for an unrelated issue, so he went out to a random car on the lot and was able to reproduce the issue. Not sure if a revised part is coming, or if they are going to compensate with better user education, but they are at least aware of the design flaw now.

no real lag with a red sport. less floaty suspension... but maybe same steering. you can dial in about 6 settings for the steering in personal mode.

my 3.6r had the same lag as my q50... an automatic transmission.

Too bad you never got on XRT, the shift lag from AMR is long gone

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

There is no "Sport+." Modes are Comfort (default), Eco, Sport, Smart (switches between programming of all three modes depending on driving style), and Custom (you can manually set programming of Eco, Comfort, and Sport for individual parameters, e.g. engine/trans, steering, suspension, etc.).

Manual mode in Eco and Comfort is really just for selecting a gear if the TCU gets it wrong. It's going to reset in around a minute no matter what. In Sport, it will hold it, unless you get to redline, and then it will shift. Supposedly the 2019s will just bounce off the limiter, making it a true manual mode on those. Honestly, if it's in Sport, even on the autocross course, it's not a huge issue. On the road, it's usually in the right gear. The programming is actually quite good. When I was autocrossing, I'd shift into first at the line and then up to second soon after the start, and it might shift up to third at some point, but I don't think I was losing too much due to the wide power band.

Yeah, I asked about the car going into neutral automatically on one of the forums before I realized what was happening, and the collective answer was "huh?" [emoji38] I actually brought it into the dealer and it sat there for a week while they tried to replicate the issue. I thought it only occurred on sunny days when the car was hot, because I hadn't had it happen on any overcast days, so they kept on trying to reproduce it to no avail. Finally, the service writer suggested I drive the car to see if it only happened after the engine warmed up. I got in the car to leave and it happened right away, so the service writer and the tech came over, and we finally figured out it was bouncing out of gear. The Kia regional factory tech was at the dealer for an unrelated issue, so he went out to a random car on the lot and was able to reproduce the issue. Not sure if a revised part is coming, or if they are going to compensate with better user education, but they are at least aware of the design flaw now.

Which stinger forum, if any, do you frequent?

I've not had the shifter issue but I don't think I ever let it bounce back without my hand on it.

I'm waiting to get my front catch can back from Tork motorsports... they put the drain in a place that made it impossible to install and they are reworking it, but they have maybe the worst customer service and communication on the planet, so no idea how many months that'll take...

Screen mesh in the side aero vents to keep rocks out is something I did to keep if from cloying up or the paint getting chipped.

Rear hatch rattle is the only issue I've had, but that was fixed easy enough.

Eibach swaybar going in in a couple weeks!

i put on a set of pilot sport 4, and got a nail within days.

i believe i have the tiniest little leak. it is about 1# lower after 5 days. i hope it is sll in my mind.