Official: Utah Chat Thread - VOL 2

Hops

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone have a stock downpipe I can buy? I have failed emissions with my catted downpipe. Also any way I can get a stock tune flashed on?

I have one I have been trying to sell for a while

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Congrats! Here to help with any questions, I have one of the more extensive builds out there

I am very interested to know what you have done to yer Suby... Do you have a build thread or anything?

Hi Guys,

I've been a long time lurker of the site. I've had my 05LGT Limited 5EAT for just over 4 years. Well I got the worst news ever this morning. My engine was running horribly and sputtering out of nowhere on Monday morning and something was obviously wrong. I took it in to the dealership because I had recently had them do the airbag recall and they needed to replace the dash that had cracked in the process anyways.

Their answer was that the entire bottom end of the engine needed to be rebuilt to the tune of $4600. Their answer was that sometimes this happens to high mileage cars. It has 177k on it. No lights or codes were showing. So....I have a couple questions.

1. Should I get it done and sell? I had been planning on selling the car this year.

2. Should I not get it done and sell as a "mechanics special?" If so, what is it worth?

3. Anybody want a project?? :)

Many thanks,

DKD

You're going to take a major hit on your price if you don't fix the car before selling. You never know if the dealership is being honest when they tell you that kind of stuff. What did they think the cause of failure was?

If you're looking for an affordable place to get the block rebuilt go to Moonbeam Garage in SLC. The techs there worked at Despain for years and they opened their own shop, better prices and I've seen numerous people that have went through them for rebuilds and have had great success.

Put new rotors and pads up front and attempted the bedding in process yesterday but I couldn't get more than 3 runs (get up to 60mph, brake hard to 10mph, repeat) in at a time before someone would inevitable come up behind me. Seems like back in the day you used to be able to find desolate stretches of road when needed but these days it's just traffic everywhere all the time. I tried that stretch of road that goes out to Cedar Fort thinking that was basically BFE and would be deserted late on a Sunday, but there was still all kinds of traffic. So I'm not sure how well my bedding in went but so far the brakes feel good. I went with ceramic pads to hopefully cut down on brake dust, which was pretty bad with my StopTech pads.

rotor.thumb.jpg.6e14878043531d48da42761c30661cf3.jpg

wheel.thumb.jpg.2ed5e1d3e8e3aa34b244d925a60dd015.jpg

I used Bangerter late at night when I did my Stoptechs... but that was 8 ish years ago. Traffic is ridiculous now! Does Baccus Highway still exist? That was a good road, but been several years for me.

I've used Bangerter late at night quite a bit for logging. Baccus Highway might be a good one to try.

Quick question- does anyone happen to have access to unlimited Carfax reports at the moment and wouldn't mind running a VIN for me?

I look at cars like every day! :lol: But not all that serious right now. Who knows though. I just invested a bunch more money in the LGT with the KWs, timing belt kit and I also picked up a top feed conversion kit with TGV deletes and ID 1000s. Looking to upgrade a little.

The carfax would be for my mom. She's back in the market for a reasonably priced car.

:lol:

I want to actually start driving the car. Clutch needs to be replaced (I'll just go with another ACT setup). Driving to Orem for E85 sucks so I'm looking to retune for 91. Then I may take the wrap off and have it painted classic Audi pearl white.

I went back to a 91 tune for a while because yes, driving to Orem for e85 does suck. I just missed the raw aggression of the acceleration I get on e85. My car still gets up and goes on 91, but there's a significant drop off. With your twin scroll setup and a quality 91 tune, you should probably be able to achieve similar spool and power results compared to what you get on e85 since your e85 tune is really conservative anyway, right?

So under the wrap, your car is a flawless SWP right? What does Audi Pearl White have that SWP does not? :rolleyes:

My clutch is still holding up surprisingly well but I have been noticing some signs that it may be time to replace it. I've had a Southbend Stage 2 clutch and single mass flywheel tucked away in my garage for quite some time waiting for my stock clutch to finally give up the ghost.

Yeah I'm at about 370/370 with the E85 with potential to go 450 whp if I wanted to upgrade the block and drivetrain, so 91 should be similar.

Look up a vintage Audi pearl white... that's my favorite paint color ever. So much more beatiful than Subaru's.

How many miles you got on that stock clutch? Mine was wasted before 30K and now he second one is gone at 60K. :lol: