LegacyGT.com

Official: Utah Chat Thread - VOL 2

Hops

Prancing moose badge! That's it!! That's pretty funny. I thought it looked a little weird for a Porsche badge based on the pattern of black pixels I could make out when I zoomed in but couldn't quite tell what it was. But yeah, I knew nothing about this little Volvo. Surprised to see it had a turbo and 5 cylinders. Looks like there was even a Polestar version, at least in 2013, but with only 250 made. I was checking out a 2004 S60 R a while back after reading this article on Carbuzz. The one I was looking at is actually still on KSL. Gotta love that shifter and the 6 speed gearbox. Cool stuff...but I don't think I'd ever sport the moose badge :lol:

http://m5.i.pbase.com/o6/91/16291/1/110250205.YynAXqhi.SDIM2619.JPG

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys! It's been a while. After I bought my corvette, I needed a winter car, so I ended up with an 06 Accord v6 6speed, a decently rare combo , and while its a little more plush , It made me have second thoughts about just getting another subaru instead, one of the few cars i've owned so far that i've actually missed. The transmission in the honda is very nice, but the subaru with it's AWD and turbo, just feels more sporty. I should be selling the accord soon and on the hunt for a turbo wagon. Obviously I would prefer a legacy gt over the outback.

Any thoughts on this? Says he has all the paperwork, and its a fairly stock car.

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/3664319?ad_cid=7

Rare cars! I strongly dislike the tan interior, but it's a nice car. I love the silver on black but the motor being replaced raises questions for me.

Yeah... I would much rather have the black interior. They both seem modded the same way (tint, lowered, wheels, exhaust) the silver one could be good if the paperwork he furnishes looks legit. Plus it's much closer to me. How long do the turbo motors last stock? If I recall, the base tune on them caused burnt valves, so on a 170k car, it doesn't sounds entirely unreasonable

I've seen these motors go past 200k if maintained properly and also on a tune, which is really probably safer than stock. My wagon is at 150k, original turbo and running perfect. Doesn't even burn oil like every other Subaru I've ever owned.

Most of them at this point have been rebuilt once, maybe twice. You can find issues fast when they are going to have problems before buying. I'd make sure to do a compression test and ask probing questions like if the "Banjo Bolts" have been done, if they have no clue what you're talking about then they probably haven't. Dealer or personal sale, if you take it for a test drive checking the oil level is a good way to see how bad it's burning unless they are super good at keeping up on it, I think that'd be more for a personal sale but an easy check.

Personally the big issues I see with the higher mileage is shot bushings, and stuff like axles, bearings, etc. Nobody factors in how bad that stuff can suck to replace. I had a lot of shot bushings on this wagon I just bought.

I say don't touch a GT that has mods like intake, upgraded intercoolers and performance mods without a PROFESSIONAL tune. Not just a "Cobb stage 2 flash". I see a ton of them with DP's intakes, top or front mounts, BOV's and just a flash cobb map and those are usually the ones you see taking dumps a couple thousand miles later. This dude I met recently bought an black 05 sedan and it chugged a quart in less than 500 miles. Had a DP, intake, flash map, and a lot of shotty mods like HID's without a rubber seal for the back of the headlights.

Good luck finding them, the wagon life is awesome. I never thought i'd like it more as a Sedan but I really do.

Also Chad correct me if i'm wrong but on the 05's aren't the catted up pipe and vf40 cause for some issues later down the road for reliability?

I drive my VF40 daily. :)

The problems you speak of on a high mileage Legacy are the same for any car. The banjo bolt is the only real serious problem.

Cobb's OTS Stage 2 map is great with mild mods and better than the factory map for long-term reliability. The only problem with the Cobb map is aftermarket intakes that aren't Cobb's. This causes the engine to run lean and go kaboom.

I especially would avoid any car that has an aftermarket BOV. :lol:

Hey guys! It's been a while. After I bought my corvette, I needed a winter car, so I ended up with an 06 Accord v6 6speed, a decently rare combo , and while its a little more plush , It made me have second thoughts about just getting another subaru instead, one of the few cars i've owned so far that i've actually missed. The transmission in the honda is very nice, but the subaru with it's AWD and turbo, just feels more sporty. I should be selling the accord soon and on the hunt for a turbo wagon. Obviously I would prefer a legacy gt over the outback.

Any thoughts on this? Says he has all the paperwork, and its a fairly stock car.

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/3664319?ad_cid=7

this is the happiest this thread has made me in a while. we need to get you back in a car that can keep up with the obxt in the canyons ;)

or this one? new motor and documentation?

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/3640383?ad_cid=31

Most of them at this point have been rebuilt once, maybe twice. You can find issues fast when they are going to have problems before buying. I'd make sure to do a compression test and ask probing questions like if the "Banjo Bolts" have been done, if they have no clue what you're talking about then they probably haven't. Dealer or personal sale, if you take it for a test drive checking the oil level is a good way to see how bad it's burning unless they are super good at keeping up on it, I think that'd be more for a personal sale but an easy check.

Personally the big issues I see with the higher mileage is shot bushings, and stuff like axles, bearings, etc. Nobody factors in how bad that stuff can suck to replace. I had a lot of shot bushings on this wagon I just bought.

I say don't touch a GT that has mods like intake, upgraded intercoolers and performance mods without a PROFESSIONAL tune. Not just a "Cobb stage 2 flash". I see a ton of them with DP's intakes, top or front mounts, BOV's and just a flash cobb map and those are usually the ones you see taking dumps a couple thousand miles later. This dude I met recently bought an black 05 sedan and it chugged a quart in less than 500 miles. Had a DP, intake, flash map, and a lot of shotty mods like HID's without a rubber seal for the back of the headlights.

Good luck finding them, the wagon life is awesome. I never thought i'd like it more as a Sedan but I really do.

Also Chad correct me if i'm wrong but on the 05's aren't the catted up pipe and vf40 cause for some issues later down the road for reliability?

This dude frequents the LGT pages on FB. He's a nice guy, I don't think he'd lie about anything on that car. Paperwork is good but the shop is a big deal too depends on who rebuilt it and what warranty they offer.

So , update , because ugh , this stuff always is a pain the butt.

Finally got in contact with the silver wagon owner, now he's having cold feet on selling it because he put 6K into the car.

He said its a smaller shop in Ogden that did the motor, using what I assume is a short block from subaru (doubt they would do a long block)

He didn't know what the banjo bolt filter was

He might be willing to sell it to me still if he took some parts back to stock (suspension, wheels, exhaust) which probably is better anyway.

Lot of red flags there, which is a huge bummer because otherwise it looks nice and I want that wagon lyfe

Followed up with him a few days later, he's not gonna sell it anymore, boo . The red one I linked earlier is still up, don't care for the tan interior still , but with MT LGT wagons, its kinda hard to be too picky.

The silver wagon guy also told me that the red wagon was owned by Trent Bowman? He says its been taken care of. Dunno how much weight that holds, but interesting to hear (the carfax data doesn't support it , so im very doubtful.)

maybe I should just get a Foz hah http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/3614311?ad_cid=59

Or a Saabaru http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/3667016?ad_cid=5

Edited by Covious

they're pretty neat, would be real cool to find an '06 with the 2.5L

leggy wagon so good though too , I know im preaching to the choir, lots of em in this group

dont rule out outbacks my friend. I love mine and easy to find a quality car. all the perks of legacy with a twist. And take it from me a full black interior swap was not too bad.

Well , after checking the car out , my anxiety about the red/tan wagon were greatly abated, and I am now back in the Subaru Family!

Turns out , the car WAS Trent Bowman's who now I know to be a service technician for a small dealership , and that does some cool builds on the side. car has quite a few maintenance records going back some years.

It has Tein coilovers, and I was fearing the rubbing, bumpy ride that you would get from cheaper coilovers, but to my surprise, it's set up pretty well , rides a whole lot nicer than the last time I drove a coilover-ed car. It's all stock engine-wise, and it has a good pull when you give it some gas, so crossing my fingers we'll keep issues to a minimum, at least for a 158k car.

1377696518_2017-04-2416_38_39.thumb.jpg.a8baaae8c3fa4b7b37a5a90e57dc7063.jpg

273929302_2017-04-2414_24.51smaller.thumb.jpg.31d2fcd894cb27ec398d2ea81e43420b.jpg

Congrats! Tein coilovers are definitely better than most. Are they the Tein Flex? They're one of the better sets.

What mods does the car have? The ad is already deleted.

Not seening camber plates, so im going to assume the Tein Street basis ones.

Engine-wise : stock except for the Factory SPT intake

Tein Coilovers,Whiteline rear camber adjustment bushings, Magnaflow Catback, ??? brand short throw shifter, and ??? brand HID headlights, not the best job on them. also has a trailer hitch , but hah, when its this low, only thing its good for is protecting the exhaust.

Nice pick up Covious! Congrats!

Sounds like the Teins may work out for you but just in case you change your mind or if anyone else is interested, there's a really awesome deal right now for KW v2s. At InfamousPerformance.net you can get 15% off with promo code "sale 16" (I checked with Mike to make sure it is still valid and it is) which brings the price to $1644 but then KW is offering a $125 mail in rebate which brings the total price down to just over $1500 for the set. For the mail in rebate, you have to make the purchase by April 30th. Just thought I'd throw it out there just in case anyone is looking. I'm going to pull the trigger on a set myself (it's about time...I've been thinking and talking about it long enough :lol:).