LegacyGT.com

Problems with AEM CAI getting wet

hassa

Before you start flaming away, please note this isn't an "OMG I got soap in my intercooler" type thread.....:lol:

Anyway, anyone else have "temporary" issues (CEL) related to the AEM after a car wash? I know I'll get flamed by OC Details for the fact that I even go to the automated car wash (I don't have the time to wash myself anymore - not to mention I'm too a lazy) - but right after going to the car wash, I cannot drive too aggressively or the car will "buck" and a CEL is thrown. It's happened to me twice already and it seems to be caused by the filter getting drenched and probably not enough air getting to the engine. I've figured out that if I just drive like an old lady for about 5 mins, the filter dries out and everything is fine.

Although I've learned to live with it, I wanted to know if I'm the only one having this issue.....I assumed it was unavoidable if I chose to continue using the automated car washes but I suppose it could be caused by my map??? I'm using a STGII TDC custom map for the intake.

Any thoughts???

I'm actually considering going back to the stock airbox w/AVO panel filter since the same thing happened again last week but during a pretty heavy rainstorm - doesn't seem to really cause any issues but it's a real PITA.

Last year, I got miss-fire cel after putting a ton of ice on the intercooler in very hot weather. I guess the tune wasn't really for such a dramatic change....

So it might not be related to the filter....

I had a similar issue, forget the CEL code I threw. Only happened twice, once it was raining, the other time there wasn't any moisture. Something to do with a low or high maf reading. ANyway, after speaking with my tuner Jorge, this CEL is uber common on the WRX platform, especially with the automated carwashes.

Jorge's car (riftswrx - NASIOC) is tuned within a 1/10th of its life and even he says has has the same issue nearly everytime the car is washed.

ignore him, he'll go away.

I drove through a monsoon-like downpour (3+ inches) on the way to work last night without any problem and usually get the undercarriage wash at the car wash and so far haven't ever gotten a CEL. I'm running with a Blitz stainless steel mesh filter on the end of the tube instead of the AEM cone, but I don't know if that would make any difference.

I have a Typhoon and the car wash never affects it. Does the AEM filter mount down behind the fog light?

Ya kinda. It mounts down in the tirewell right behind the foglight. The bottom of the filter sits about 8 inches off the ground. When the skid plate is removed from the engine compartment; you can see the filter sitting in there.

From what I've seen there are a couple small dime sized holes in the pocket where the filter sits, but no huge open areas where water could pour in there unless the skid plate is off.

I have a heat shield on my filter that faces the engine compartment leaving the passenger side of the filter open and I have never had any water suckage issues to speak of. It's probably from all the water sitting in the cracks getting sucked into the filter right after leaving the wash. It may also depend upon which filter you have too. Mine has a metal plate on the expsoed end of the filter and some have filter material on that end too.

Let's kick this pig!

I am about to install this and glad to see this thread! It seems like an issue one just has to be conscientious about to avoid. Thanks for the foresight!

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

Problems with AEM CAI getting wet .It is why I prefer the stock air box. In very wet/damp weather, the CAI can freeze up or pass very damp air into the intake system which can freeze onto sensors. This can have severe effects on the motor.
"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Archived