LegacyGT.com

External coolant temp gauge - sensor location?

Guys with additional coolant gauges, where are you mounting the coolant sensor?

I see adapters where you cut your upper rad hose in two and the adapter gets clamped between the two hoses.

I'm wondering if there are other solutions in use besides that for Subarus?

You can tap the coolant crossover pipe, but that is much harder to get to. Most of the other lines are probably too small to use although you can Tee off the throttle body coolant lines and make your own housing for the temperature sender. But again, this is much more work than using the upper rad hose adapter.

Have had my sensor located up in the upper rad hose. Exactly in front of the alternator. Haven’t had any issue with it.

If you wanted to go for the clean look, guess you can do the lower hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses so far!

I dont mind it up top, but I was wondering if there are other options that may be better?

IIRC the top hose is the rad out line? What does the ECU and factory sensor read, pre rad or post rad coolant? I'm thinking I should get my readings from the same condition coolant?

^Thanks, same as most EJs huh.

Is the coolant there post rad pre engine?

I dont feel like doing the work to tap into the crossover pipe, someplace post rad pre engine too like the upper rad hose would be close enough for me.

With my location on upper rad hose, I did the test with the ecu (cobb) monitoring factory sensor vs my external.

They was off by 5 degrees on cold start ups, and within 3~4 degrees at fully warmed up.

With my location on upper rad hose, I did the test with the ecu (cobb) monitoring factory sensor vs my external.

They was off by 5 degrees on cold start ups, and within 3~4 degrees at fully warmed up.

Thanks for that! Which was higher btw?