LegacyGT.com

Stereo Swap to be upgrade

I'm replacing a 2001 GT sedan [180k] with a 2001 wagon [70k]. The sedan has a better OEM stereo than the wagon. Does the stereo in the sedan have a separate amp? If so, where is the amp located?

From what I've read, the wiring harness "should" be the same in both cars, so the swap should be just plug and play.

I've had the stereo surrounding bezel off before, so I know how to break the securing clips. It should be easy enough for me to break the plastic bits below the wagons stereo head unless someone says where the clips are hiding and how to remove without breaking them.

1797496982_SedanStereosm.jpg.a176c9c654a22abe23f72a85e0e83312.jpg

1666815506_WagonStereo.jpg.85ecac9272e1bb258a804fc0f66281f3.jpg

Get a thumb size Phillips screwdriver and take apart everything until just the surrounding wooden bezel is connected take out the ashtray and if you get all the way down and look straight up there's two screws that are bolted inside of the ashtray holder they are hidden and are a bitch to get but well worth it to not have a loose stereo

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
i had that left radio in my wagon before i went aftermarket. it did not have an amp in my car 2001 outback but i still felt like it did not sound amazing. i think changing the speakers is a big part of it for sound quality but the factory radio will never sound as good as a good aftermarket radio. u should be able to just swap the radios and have it work though. id also swap those wood trim bits over as well they should all fit.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...