LegacyGT.com

Requesting before and after intake silencer removal sound clips

Hey all. My car is getting a motor rebuild and I should be driving the car again tomorrow, however the car has been making a noise only in boost that sounds like the car has an aftermarket BOV/intake/big boost leak and, after leak testing, we can't seem to find anything. I checked the car out myself and noticed the intake silencer/snorkus isn't installed in the car and I'm pretty sure I had it in the car before, but don't remember.

Anybody got a good example of what you'd hear with and without it? Thanks.

Edited by Pleides

youre talking about the thing below the airbox in the bumper? that wont make that sort of noise. it wont matter if you have that thing on or not.

what kind of leak test did they do? because its obvious it has a leak.

if your car sounds like it has a BOV check the clamps and fitment of the hoses near the bypass / recir ...whatever valve its called, the factory equivalent of the BOV. also make sure its tight to the manifold and the end tanks are on good.

No example, but having it removed, allows you the hear the turbo spool and in lower gears hear the BOV when you shift from high boost.

My wagon with the vf52 is much louder then the Spec with the vf46, but not enough to be annoying, IMO.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

youre talking about the thing below the airbox in the bumper? that wont make that sort of noise. it wont matter if you have that thing on or not.

what kind of leak test did they do? because its obvious it has a leak.

if your car sounds like it has a BOV check the clamps and fitment of the hoses near the bypass / recir ...whatever valve its called, the factory equivalent of the BOV. also make sure its tight to the manifold and the end tanks are on good.

Just an evap leak test at 3 PSI. I’ll try a tester for diesel trucks when I get a chance, or just wait until the car is on the dyno where they leak test it there.

Edited by Pleides

No example, but having it removed, allows you the hear the turbo spool and in lower gears hear the BOV when you shift from high boost.

My wagon with the vf52 is much louder then the Spec with the vf46, but not enough to be annoying, IMO.

Your description sounds exactly like what I’m hearing. You don’t really hear it when cruising in 5th but it’s like a wooshing noise when the car gets into boost and it sort of flutters when you upshift. It kinda sounds like an aftermarket intake, I guess?

Edited by Pleides

I recall a long time ago discussion on the forum regarding the function of the intake resonator (that thing hanging down the air box). I think people argued it helped in the low end torque.

Covertrussian did a bunch of flow testing and you get less pressure drop without it. Not a ton but some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turns out I had a bad exhaust gasket. Would still love to hear before and after clips but all is well now!

I could do an after? I don't really hear the bpv but I do hear the turbo spool. I also have an exhaust leak in my uppipe so I get this really great burble with a small rev at idle.

My snorkus thing is all the way in utah and honestly I don't plan on going through the effort of putting it back on.

I could do an after? I don't really hear the bpv but I do hear the turbo spool. I also have an exhaust leak in my uppipe so I get this really great burble with a small rev at idle.

My snorkus thing is all the way in utah and honestly I don't plan on going through the effort of putting it back on.

Yeah, your car sounds a lot like mine does now. Guess I just never had it installed? Hard to say. Thanks for the video!

I remember just gaining a bit of uhhh "whooshy noise" and my friend described it as sounding like a space ship. First turbo car so I assume that's just what turbo noise sounds like but honestly it wasn't that much of a difference.

I mostly took it off because removing the air box with that piece in is obnoxious.

• 2 weeks later...

I have mine removed. If I have the radio off and windows closed fan down low I can hear the turbo spool then when I left off the gas I can here the recirculating valve open and push air back out the intake. Kina just like a soft PSHHHH

So I guess I can hear the sucking and the blowing.