LegacyGT.com

Solgt's "Sleeper Status" Build Thread

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can get a socket on it just getting space to break it free is not available. Used a wobbler and extensions just not enough space to get it broke free. Spent past few hours from top and bottom..

You need a socket with the swivel built into the socket.

I used a gear wrench impact swivel socket like this

GW_84975_Main.jpg

I found using a longer handle for the ratchet worked best. The standard lenght 1/2in. wasn't enough to offer leverage. First time removing an engine done!

4ebec757420823d4659f8c942523f32f.jpg

Edited by Zee199969

I had a bear of a time with the exact same bolt on mine. The bottom driver side nut.

I tried wobblers and swivel sockets but could not get enough torque on it

I ended up pulling the left wheel and axle and using a 36 inch break bar through the wheel opening.

It was more work but it came off with no damage

• 2 months later...

There are a few reasons;

Only good parts left of the motor are the crank, con rods, maybe cams, passenger side head and maybe the block. Been advised the block will need to be bored more than 10mil over, which can cause oil burning issues. All oiling components are toasted, needs new cam oiling sprocket a coil pack and a few other things. So unless I get it bored for sleeves need new case halves, then sent to outfront motorsports or just get them sleeved, which is basically a whole new engine build. Shit a comparable block from iag is 8-10k

Going sleeved and full send turbo is a wet dream of mine. Just getting it back on the road will cost 5k or more and i just spent a butt-load of between the trans and last engine build.

Another 7-8mo with it collecting dust or sell it. I mean I dont want to sell it. Just seems smarter to cut ties before another 10k goes poof. Looking at the return on investment here says each down time only nets 3mo fun. That's 10k for 3mo up time and then 9mo or more to save and rebuild. I dare not say how much in totality ive spent on it.

Sucks to hear! Seems like you don't get very much time with the smiles before you have to do major work and start tossing money at it.

I really like my 5th gen GT, but it has proven to be a pain in the wallet. I wasn't planning on building mine till it broke then, before I knew it I was in a bunch of time and money. It has been that way ever since then as well.

What would you be looking to get out of the car? How is the rust on the car? I'm having bad thoughts of moving my power plant into your car and throwing a used engine in mine to sell and recoup some cash... that doesn't seem like a very rational thought process.:)

Sucks to hear! Seems like you don't get very much time with the smiles before you have to do major work and start tossing money at it.

I really like my 5th gen GT, but it has proven to be a pain in the wallet. I wasn't planning on building mine till it broke then, before I knew it I was in a bunch of time and money. It has been that way ever since then as well.

What would you be looking to get out of the car? How is the rust on the car? I'm having bad thoughts of moving my power plant into your car and throwing a used engine in mine to sell and recoup some cash... that doesn't seem like a very rational thought process.:)

Rust free body and minor nics on hood. Likley be asking between 6-9k. Dependig on what goes with the car.

Rust free body and minor nics on hood. Likley be asking between 6-9k. Dependig on what goes with the car.

Let me know when you are getting ready to move on selling the car. I'm looking into shipping (could you PM me your zip for shipping quotes) and a used engine. Starting to think that maybe getting rid of the stock trans before I lose money on it might not be a bad idea... I think the devil is on my shoulder again.:)

Let me know when you are getting ready to move on selling the car. I'm looking into shipping (could you PM me your zip for shipping quotes) and a used engine. Starting to think that maybe getting rid of the stock trans before I lose money on it might not be a bad idea... I think the devil is on my shoulder again.:)
If you are really interested in buying it from let me know and we will speak outside the forums.

• 6 months later...