LegacyGT.com

Another impreza strut question, non wrx, indulge me....

Yeah yeah, I know, some people have covered strut questions over and over, and don't like answering questions because it's a huge waste of their time:spin:

Well, those people should chill, you didn't have anything else to do right now anyways!:lol: and feel free not to answer, remember what your mother said, " if you don't have anything nice to say".......

Oh, and yes I have searched, and searched, and read through seemingly hundreds of posts. Everyone seems solely focused on wrx impreza parts to lower our second gen wagons.

I read the suspension sticky that says- "GC/GF (first gen. Impreza) stuff also works in Gen 2 Legacy's, but GC/GF Impreza rear shocks and springs are shorter, and so you get the 'ass sag', regardless if it's from a wagon or a sedan."

What I couldn't find anywhere is "how much will non wrx, first gen impreza struts lower a second gen wagon, if any?

I have access to a set of struts from a '99 impreza wagon, trying to figure out if it would be worth it.:confused:

uhhhhhhhh, ok.:confused:

Not sure that does anything for the question, I understand where the lowering comes from, but thanks for sharing?

What I meant to ask was "how much will non wrx, first gen impreza struts lower a second gen wagon, if any?

I'm looking for actual, real world inches, from an actual application, on an actual second gen wagon, not theoretical speculation.:spin:

even if it dropped a solid 1" (which ive read on nasioc that they barely give .5" drop), the spring rates are lower than you would want to use. may as well go with the higher spring rates of the stock legacy. or get the sti ones and get the 1.5-2" drop. or go coilovers and get the higher spring rates and adjustability. one thing about going lower, that bump stop is much closer. soggy springs will make you bounce off of that much easier and quicker.

uhhhhhhhh, ok.:confused:

Not sure that does anything for the question, I understand where the lowering comes from, but thanks for sharing?

What I meant to ask was "how much will non wrx, first gen impreza struts lower a second gen wagon, if any?

I'm looking for actual, real world inches, from an actual application, on an actual second gen wagon, not theoretical speculation.:spin:

How the hell does what I said not answer the question?

No, I cannot tell you that it will lower the car 1.8" up front and 1.5" in the back.....

I can tell you, that if installed on a Legacy.... IF it lowers the car at all it will be for one of the two reasons I mentioned.

I really do not know how I could possibly be any more clear about what I said...

How the hell does what I said not answer the question?

No, I cannot tell you that it will lower the car 1.8" up front and 1.5" in the back.....

I can tell you, that if installed on a Legacy.... IF it lowers the car at all it will be for one of the two reasons I mentioned.

I really do not know how I could possibly be any more clear about what I said...

Well, probably because the question was "how much" not "how" will those struts lower a legacy wagon.

If my question was about the design off a strut, and how it works to lower a car, you'd of nailed it.

But alas, my question was about the physical height change of a vehicle with those struts. So telling me how the lowering is accomplished did not answer the question with any clarity.

No offense, I appreciate the time, and I've even gotten a few good bits of information off your previous posts. I was hoping for some answers from people that have tried them or are currently using them. I don't want to slam my wagon, I just want a slightly lower stance, and these struts would be very cheap, which is a plus.

One question though, on spring rate. The chart I found shows all wagons, AWD, from like '89-'99 use the same spring weight of 190 lb/in in the rear?

even if it dropped a solid 1" (which ive read on nasioc that they barely give .5" drop), the spring rates are lower than you would want to use. may as well go with the higher spring rates of the stock legacy. or get the sti ones and get the 1.5-2" drop. or go coilovers and get the higher spring rates and adjustability. one thing about going lower, that bump stop is much closer. soggy springs will make you bounce off of that much easier and quicker.

As I posted above, The chart I found shows all wagons, AWD, from like '89-'99 use the same spring weight of 190 lb/in in the rear?

So I figured the only lowering I would get would be from the physical differences in the struts, I just can't find anywhere where it will tell me how much. I just did a bunch of searching on this forum, didn't check nasioc. A .5" drop definitely would not be worth the effort, even if the struts are a good deal.

ahem.....

first gen imprezas and second gen legos (and first gen legos) use the same struts.

same length, same spring, same same.

the very early legos, 90 - 91, (maybe impreza too) had different top mounts (in the rear?),

but the struts were the same.

so to answer your question,

NONE.

no lift, no lower.

next question.?

Awesome johnegg!

Simple answer to a simple question! Thanks.

The springs looked smaller in diameter to me when I saw them, so I thought they might be different. Plus, those little first gen impreza wagons always look like they sit lower to me.

Well, probably because the question was "how much" not "how" will those struts lower a legacy wagon.

If my question was about the design off a strut, and how it works to lower a car, you'd of nailed it.

But alas, my question was about the physical height change of a vehicle with those struts. So telling me how the lowering is accomplished did not answer the question with any clarity.

No offense, I appreciate the time, and I've even gotten a few good bits of information off your previous posts. I was hoping for some answers from people that have tried them or are currently using them.

Just to be clear I gave you all the information you needed to know to find out exactly what you needed to know for yourself. I didn't feel like spending time looking up specs of struts to compare them to legacy struts..

The only thing I left out was the rear wagon spring rate difference because I didn't know you had a wagon.

Hey man, it's no problem. I know some people don't like answering questions that they feel have been thoroughly covered in other threads. I try not to post obvious questions, and I use the search function all the time. As I had first said, I searched, and searched, and read through so many posts my head hurt. And not just a couple hour search, I searched for an hour or two at a time, off and on for a couple weeks. After awhile it just gets frustrating, because all you want is a simple answer.

I kinda thought that these forums were a place to share knowledge and experiences, and have questions asked and answered by like minded people that share a passion for a certain subject.:confused: maybe not. But it sure seems like that was the idea all those years ago when Al Gore invented the internet.

I think most of us are adults here, and we are well past the stage of being told to get a dictionary when we ask what a word means, now, we just want the answer.

Under most of our screen names, it says what kind of cars we have, like mine says '97 wagon. And on my first post, "the question was about impreza wagon springs on a second gen wagon." While spring rates and specs are great, that wasn't the question, because that won't tell me what it does when it is on a car.

Johneggs's answer told me exactly what they would do on the car, which is what the question was, seems simple enough.

Under most of our screen names, it says what kind of cars we have, like mine says '97 wagon.

wait, what? i dont see anything under the usernames about what cars we have...

edit:

durr, its based on the forum theme... i dont like bright web pages so iuse a dark one, it doesnt show that stuff tho.

Archived