LegacyGT.com

5 speed MT shifts to 4th gear with no clutch

The other day I was driving down the road in my 2006 Legacy and I was approaching a stop sign, so i just went to pull the car out of 3rd gear without hitting the clutch and it came out like normal and went straight into 4th gear! no grinding or anything it just popped into place. This has never happened before...but I decided to see if it was a one time thing and I was able to do it about 10 more times. You can hear the gear go into place but no grinding and it drives like normal! My clutch is fairly old but I wanted to see if anyone else has ever had this happen. Thoughts?

I did and this is what I found:

Granny shiftin' not double clutchin' like you should. You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake!

:iam:

X

---

It only happens going into 4th gear though...I have thought that the shifter has a little more wiggle in it than any other manual that i have driven...maybe i'll go inspecting tomorrow...

I hope it doesn't cost $$$$ though...then i might just be forced to upgrade to a newer scoob

If you have a turbo, for once it's going to be ok. 2.5i's have a different clutch and cost a lot more to fix. More info needed.
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

This is not a problem. This will happen in any manual transmission if u happen to get the road speed and engine speed synchronized. Look up slip shifting. This will not harm your clutch. But it could possible damage your transmission if you did it abruptly. If it falls into gear without noise or jerking it's fine.

i just went to pull the car out of 3rd gear without hitting the clutch and it came out like normal and went straight into 4th gear! no grinding or anything it just popped into place.

i might just be forced to upgrade to a newer scoob

Great reason to get a new car. GLWS.

lol

i have clutchessly shifted for years. i'm sure i've done undo damage. no way of knowing really. never had a problem. of course i also brake left footed. i had to learn all of this on my first vehicle. a 85 s10. had an isuzu 1.9l and i didn't know shit about cars. i had to keep my foot on the gas while braking to keep the engine running. i got really good at it and have been doing it ever since. many moons later i learned that these are all tricks old school rally driver's did. who knew i was so cool. but like others have said, if you rev match and all your little synchros line up, it will slide right in smooth as glass. i wouldn't worry much.
I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

If anything happens without jerking you're pretty damn lucky.

Yep.. for sure. The reason is that you are fighting against the syncronizers . You might wear them out faster by doing this and in general it does not work well.

My semi has unsyncronized gears.. so we shift this way all the time. Smooth as glass.

If it goes in smoothly then you have nothing to worry about. It's if there was grinding you will have a problem. Done clutch less shifting on Legacy, M3, and a whole crap load when I had a 944. Gentle and rev matched you will be fine.

yeah well from what everyone is saying i might just be over reacting about the whole thing. I have never attempted a clutchless shift before and this has never happened before so I am just reluctant to accept it being that all the synchros are lined up or what not. But like it was said...no jerking so im pretty damn lucky! And i dont plan on taking everything apart to find whats wrong if no harm is being done! :spin:

More info about the car though...it's 2.5i...everything on it is stock. I have had it for a coupe of years and its got almost 100k on it. I have never had any problems with the tranny (knock on wood) so far except for the clutch isn't too great but it works! I have noticed that the car makes an interesting noise revving down right around 2700 rpms. It is only at that range revving down under a load...which leads me to believe it is in the transmission...funny thing is I had the same noise at almost the same rpms and the same situation in an old civic right before i had to put in a new clutch and flywheel.

So while I was driving today I experimented a bunch and noticed the gear only goes into place at about 2600 rpms, everywhere else it behaves normal. And then i discovered it can be done in 5th gear at around 2100 rpms! perfect shift with no grinding or anything! I'm glad for once to be over reacting instead of like "oh crap! i need a new (fill in the blank)" im just curious as to why i noticed it all of a sudden and it has never happened before. A coincidence that i just stumbled upon it?

No, you probably just did it at the same road speed every time. And the good news is that you don't have to accept that the gears being rev matched allows clutchless shifting for it to be true.

The real trick is going from neutral to 1st to get the car going from a stop.

• Mega Users
i have clutchessly shifted for years. i'm sure i've done undo damage. no way of knowing really. never had a problem. of course i also brake left footed. i had to learn all of this on my first vehicle. a 85 s10. had an isuzu 1.9l and i didn't know shit about cars. i had to keep my foot on the gas while braking to keep the engine running. i got really good at it and have been doing it ever since. many moons later i learned that these are all tricks old school rally driver's did. who knew i was so cool. but like others have said, if you rev match and all your little synchros line up, it will slide right in smooth as glass. i wouldn't worry much.

likewise. not to brag, but I can clutch upshift in ever gear. its not harmful to your tranny as long as its not clunking.

older cars back in the days didnt even have sychros. double clutching was imperative

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

if the revs are matched perfectly it wont grind

I upshift and downshift all the time without the clutch. I have a class III license so rev matching is something I was taught and works perfectly fine as long as your not grinding hamburger. :lol:

Yeah so I have done it in every gear except 1st now... It's pretty cool but I'll still probably stick to the clutch. It just really caught me off guard one day!

transmissions are pretty good at letting you know if they have a problem with your driving. like a woman....they dont do what the dont want to without at least some whining or complaining.

Like my mechanic used to tell me "if it has a pair of tits or wheels, it's gonna cause you problems!" :lol:

Archived