LegacyGT.com

2.5GT Turbo Oil Supply Banjo Bolt Filter Removal

You won't believe this shit. I just bought an LGT today, registered and insured it and got it road-worthy. The previous owner went through two turbos, and then sold it to me out of frustration. I got another vf40, installed it and didn't even make it home before it blew. I'm beyond angry right now.. a bit of rage I suppose.

Is it possible that the screens are so clogged it blew the THIRD TURBO in a matter of 20 miles?

Sorry, I feel you man. Almost the same story, turbo went out into about 2hrs driving car home from the dealer. They paid for replacement, a week later it went out again, this time it cost me a new shortblock.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You won't believe this shit. I just bought an LGT today, registered and insured it and got it road-worthy. The previous owner went through two turbos, and then sold it to me out of frustration. I got another vf40, installed it and didn't even make it home before it blew. I'm beyond angry right now.. a bit of rage I suppose.

Is it possible that the screens are so clogged it blew the THIRD TURBO in a matter of 20 miles?

Certainly sounds like a possibility. Oil contamination (tiny bits of stuff) from previous turbo failure might be another contributing possibility. However if that's the case I'd think most of that would be caught by the filter, if it's there. If it's not then maybe it should have been. I'd want a thorough diagnosis before driving on another new turbo and would expect that to be your attitude as well. Once you know the cause and get it cleared up you might want to consider a BNR bolt-up turbo upgrade.

removing oil screen from the banjo

Probably varies quite a bit. When I first found out about this I inquired at one the dealers I was using at the time and was told that they only did this if they had things apart to do other work. As I recall she estimated about a 3 hour charge. Of course if you've read this thread you know it's possible to do in less time.

So I have 101k miles and I still haven't done this. I haven't even checked the filter...sigh.

I have over 122k on the car, over 30,000 mine and I too have put this off even though I've had the new bolt and filter now for probably a year. One of these days I'll be installing a new turbo. At this point I'm trusting that OCI during the 60-90k period of the car was good and the issue will become moot when I replace the oil line with one with a serviceable filter.

I've had my filter off for bout 20k now, and the stock turbo still solid, i was worrie when i discover this post so I went and bought this VF46, now is just been sitting on my shelf for 15 months waiting.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd84/jaxx4k/utf-8BSU1HMDE0NDUtMjAxMTEwMDgtMDAyNS5qcGc.jpg

hey sorry if this is overly redundant in asking, but i was gonna do it this weekend with my oil change but was wondering where to get my crush washers? I tried Advance and they didn't have them. Also is there a specific size i need? Thanks in advance.

I tried w/o success finding the right size at an Auto Parts store. I ended up finding the correct size at the Subaru dealership.

yeah a friend who used to have a turbo laser said the same thing. Guess i'll be making a phone call later this week.

Jaxx, after 3 blown vf40s, I think I am going to invest in either a fully rebuilt and upgraded one by BNR, or maybe just a stock vf46. I hear they're a bit more reliable... then there's also the vf52, but I don't have any information about them yet. I need something RELIABLE!

This last turbo that just blew... well, it took out my whole engine. It was leaking coolant into the cylinders, hydrolocked it, put a rod through the top of the block. :(

Three blown turbos in a row sounds like a serious oil starvation issue. Do you know if the previous owner had the oil feed banjo fittings and oil pickup checked?

A BNR turbo with an FP oil feed line will solve any banjo fitting problem you may have, but it won't help if your oil pickup is still cracked.

I found a solution, ask a friend with twice your muscle mass to help!

Tried that too, he left with a wrench imprint in his hand. I think it would be easier at this point to take the whole damn oil feed line off and crank on it without it being on the car.

Glad for you that yours came off off tho. Did you find debris trapped by the filter?

It took me all 4th of July weekend last year to get mine out. My final solution was a box of blue waste towels.... stuffing some down under and around the bb area....and keep saturating the bolt with PB Blast....think I ended up using a full can on the various stuck bolts....by no means do you want to damage a bolt head....or worse...twist one off. I tried every other technique....chilling...tapping...wrenching. Then follow the guidelines given in this forum using the right tools to get into the small space....there's just enough room. I did have to use a lot of PB Blast on the bracket bolt....and then use a breaker bar....the robot really hammered that one down...

Think the robot knew that it was in a tough-to-get-to area so no sense increasing the possibility of a leak by not drilling the bolt into the head threads. ;)
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Just took the banjo bolt off my 117k mile '05 GT Wagon for the first time. The screen looked like new. Lost one of the washers taking the bolt out and it's 10:30 on Sunday night. Oh well, off to the stealership in the AM before going to work.

Will definitely use the thread idea then putting it all back together.

I should mention that my last five or so OCI's were 5k then 7.5k (twice) then 10k (twice). Using Rotella T6 (basically since that oil came out) and the larger PureOne filter.

• 2 weeks later...