LegacyGT.com

LIttle smoke coming from engine bay this morning

c-lo

noticed odd smell last week when it was raining out. didn't think too much of it.

today while sitting idle in the lot to drop off my kids I noticed a bit of smoke coming out the engine bay. popped the hood and it appears to be coming from somewhere underneath the turbo. the seal on the turbo looks intact......first place I thought to look.

this appears to be coming from lower down. Checked my oil levels and I'm good. just had oil change 1200 miles ago and I'm still full up.

any ideas? it's going into the shop tomorrow for some rear brakes so I'll have it looked at then

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that's what I assumed. heres hoping it's nothing too $$$$
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Mine was doing it lately too.

Oil was seeping from Passenger side valve cover gasket down onto the exhaust heat shield.

Gets really fun when you really get on the gas on the freeway and the cabin starts to fill up with smoke from the oil residue burning off :o

car was in the shop the other day for rear brake install. Had him check for leaks and he couldn't find anything.

odd......I smell it more than I see any smoke. especially in this cold weather.

have to check when i drive home. i think rubbery?

smells rubber to me. RR I'll check that when the weather warms up a bit. did you replace yours? how much?

smells rubber to me. RR I'll check that when the weather warms up a bit. did you replace yours? how much?

I noticed that the oil dripping onto the exhaust smelled a lot different than burned oil coming out of a tailpipe.

At first I thought the damn car was on fire :eek:

I think the valve cover gasket set r and l side is $68. I was told you can replace the gaskets easy on the passenger side with engin were it is. No need to raise the engine. Im going to do this when i do my up pipe and wrap the up pipe. There is a lot of heat on that side of the engine and the valve cover gasket leaks on the passenger side on all subaru's.

Gasket is only 10 bucks from Fred Beans Parts...You can change it yourself with the engine in place. Just make sure you pull the two breather lines. Also look out for the two spark plug seals are in place when you reinstall.
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

is the burnt rubber smell the gasket?

good question.

in for a walk through on this. No garage, so if I did this it would have to wait until spring time. can it wait that long if it's the gasket?

good question.

in for a walk through on this. No garage, so if I did this it would have to wait until spring time. can it wait that long if it's the gasket?

Vacation pix are your friends ;)

Burning smell is probably not the gasket itself.

Don't get ahead of yourself yet, make sure you know where the smell is coming from first.

is the burnt rubber smell the gasket?

good question.

Burnt smell is oil dripping on the hot UP and exhaust manifold. Well hopefully its not a fire hazard.

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

I don't know about burning rubber.

Best thing is when the engine is hot, pop the hood to see if you can see/smell the source of the smell. There might be some smoke.

Remove the air duct that channels air from the grille to the air filter box and you can easily see down just under the valve cover to the heat shield over the exhaust. See if there is any burned residue on it.

Look at the bolts holding the valve cover on. One of mine was coated in oil, pretty easy to see. Look to see if there is any oil seeping down the cover out from around the coils. (coils have a black wire going to them).

thx for the advice ss:

I don't know about burning rubber.

the smell of my issue is exactly like some tool in a mustang screaming away some michelins. it appears in-cabin at stoplight rests with the vents open, and outside at the same. the smoke only seems to accompany colder weather, and is relatively little puffs from the scoop.

Best thing is when the engine is hot, pop the hood to see if you can see/smell the source of the smell. There might be some smoke.

have tried this; soon as i pop it the smoke is gone and will not return. the smoke is not very much and goes away fairly quickly. my acc belts look great, though mileage-wise they are about due. i don't see any hoses doing anything out of order. one time that i checked underhood quickly to try to isolate, the smell seemed strongest over in the turbo area, but no smoke. of course i give the turbo seals a visual, look perfect. i've even pulled the banjo last month just for peace of mind -- was clear as a bell.

Remove the air duct that channels air from the grille to the air filter box and you can easily see down just under the valve cover to the heat shield over the exhaust. See if there is any burned residue on it.

i've looked here as well. i have suspected a tiny (very tiny) leak at rear of my p/s valve cover for a long time. there is a very small evidence of seepage residue over there at bottom of the uppipe channel, but i can't tie that to my burning rubber smell and small occasional puff -- or even to my valve cover, since i've done turbo swaps, and have had cv boot over there tear. though i do my best to clean up, there's been quite a bit of fluid activity over there through the years :lol: last few times i've checked the valve gasket back there there was nothing to get in a bind over.

i will say it's distinctly rubber, not like any burning oil smell i've ever experienced. the smoke when it comes is white, too.

Look at the bolts holding the valve cover on. One of mine was coated in oil, pretty easy to see. Look to see if there is any oil seeping down the cover out from around the coils. (coils have a black wire going to them).

last summer i had a tire rubbing issue (the inside edge was rubbing bad with my front 18s, and i had no idea). i drive a lot, so by the time i put my snow 17s on this fall, one 18 was down to the steel on the front driver side :eek: i was thinking since this really smells distinctly of burning tire, perhaps there was some tire dust residue burning off somewhere, possibly the ex. mani, brakes -- but i can't find evidence of that either. i can't imagine i'm still rubbing with the 17s, and have found no evidence of such.

my cvjs look fine. fluids levels are steady, and i don't see any substantial leaks. this doesn't seem to be affecting performance either; the car is running strong as a bull, and temp is spot on.

my front brakes are a little low, i know there's some rubber in there, so i think that might be my next focus.

though i'm not getting any telltale cc symptoms, the one thing i'm afraid of is heater core, since i know a few of those have gone under on 4gens, and i can't really access it to give visual...

Archived