LegacyGT.com

car taken for joy ride by service tech

:mad:

so hot right now. so i go to pick my car up after an oil change at a place i trust. well, boss must've left early today.

i get in my car and it's reeking of the 'i really got after it' smell ya get when grease drips onto the downpipe from the turbo side boot. so i call the place up right after leaving and i was like 'yo, who's the short little guy that likes to drive fast?' ... (the steering wheel was in my nuts and and mirror was pointed at the damn ground when i got in) guy says.. 'oh uuuh, uhmmm, what car? what's he drive?' and i say 'my car'.

i explain that the smell that happens when you get after it. he replies 'oh well, i know someone took it for a test drive after...' i say, 'a test drive after an oil change?' ... 'yeah to make sure everything was working'. .. silence for a minute. and sounding real sheepish he says 'call tomorrow when the owner is in'. i say 'yeah i'll do that.'

end o' story. so this ******* tech is hooning my car, on a clutch that's maybe 2 months old that he doesn't know. goddamn. what would you do? demand he get fired? what sort of compensation would you be after? i dunno what to think, too hot right now...

i can put anything i want down here?!

Compensation? GTFO. Free oil change with another hooning. Demand he get fired? Who do you think you are Mr big oil change spender? How about be glad you figured it out earlier rather than later. The boss doesn't go for drives with the techs. Its a culture problem at the place.

Stop wasting your time and simply find another mechanic.

no i don't figure i'm mr. big time oil change, but thanks buddy. i work damn hard for my money and don't take to kindly to some prick beating on my car. it's a local indie shop, not goddamn jiffy lube, and i have never had a problem with them before and don't figure it's their "culture".

Its always fun to drive it like its stolen. If you are considering going back you are voting with your money. You absolutely need to let the boss know but I wouldn't expect anything to change other than their lip service to you.

Personally I wouldn't give them the opportunity with one of the most expensive mechanical things I will ever own (automobiles in general).

EDIT: You have head "F--- me once, FU, f--- me twice, F me.

You sound like you want some sort of payment and/or punishment so I guess in your shoes I would ask to get reimbursed for the cost of the oil change and move on. If nothings broken I don't really think it's a huge deal. Yeah there might be a little bit of extra wear and tear on your car but what's done is done and I doubt there will be much long term impact if any.

It would take a lot for me to demand an employee get fired, and there is no way that I would do that in this case.

yeah there's no way i'm taking my car back to them. i'm going back to have a chat with the owner, because he should know how his employees are conducting business when he's away.

i spoze i'd call it even if he handed over his keys to let me take his car for a quick spin around the block. fair's fair, right?

always check your mileage before leaving your car in the shop or tell them to write the mileage down on the invoice.

i try not to valet but when i have to i take a picture or remember my mileage before handing them the keys.

you can tell the owner of the shop but like said above my LALGT hes not really going to do anything but say sorry (maybe)..

:mad:

i get in my car and it's reeking of the 'i really got after it' smell ya get when grease drips onto the downpipe from the turbo side boot. ...

Is that how you describe the smell of roasted clutch lining?

I liken it more to a semi truck panic braking as he tries to avoid crushing the cars in front of him.

Sure it's not just some grease,oil from a sloppy job burning off on the manifolds ?

It would take a lot for me to demand an employee get fired, and there is no way that I would do that in this case.

LOL hard at "demand an employee get fired". Right when someone starts making demands I stop caring about ANYTHING they are saying.;)

OP if you are not going back to the shop you are wasting your time and energy.

I can be the 1st to tell u, that we have had complaints of people claiming there cars were beat on. I understand he proably raped the piss out of it as he proably beats a honda or some trash to work everyday. Test drive after an oil change is normal, about 1-3mi, and were I used to work they would get into light to mild boost with any turbo charged subarus to make sure everything was working alright. We had a few customers come in saying the same thing u said. My boss delt with it in the manner of, Sir do u have proof other than your car smell? I'm quite sorry u do not, but I trust my empoyee's I can offer u a discount on ya next oil change which normaly is the coupon u would get in the mail. Then he would go out, find the tech that worked on your car and basicly chew him a new ass, if it was a commen ocurance he would be sent packing.... Best of luck hope he didn't f*** yea car over

lol yea.... Most managers rather, give u a discount or some BS to quickly defuse the situation and then deal with it once your gone. A nice lady came in with her Husbands STI, they thought she was an idiot and well when the tech went for a drive and brought it back, she was like... wtf? why is my diff lock changed? why r there 12 more miles on my car? why does my engine smell hot? I do have an aftermarket Rad, and a propper tune? who the **** drove my husbands car.... I was like..... 1 sec... ya tech 245 lost his job that day.... Nice lady knows he shit and well... if someones car comes into my shop, I record milage outside the door as they check it in and I require a sign off on the millage out to prevent this the best I can... I'd be calm and talk to them, they mite help yea out

Is that how you describe the smell of roasted clutch lining?

I liken it more to a semi truck panic braking as he tries to avoid crushing the cars in front of him.

Sure it's not just some grease,oil from a sloppy job burning off on the manifolds ?

it's definitely not clutch stank. and i thought maybe it was some slopped oil, tried to convince myself of it a while, but no. i know that hoon smell. unmistakable.

I took my car for a detail once and while waiting for my wife to pick me on the next corner I saw it go blasting by. A lot of stupid excuses followed when the owner brought it back, like how he also owns a GH8 and just wanted to compare them. There just isn't any good reason to test drive a car before washing it. I took a photo of the place, posted that and the story to the local forum, and never went back there.

I should go back, ask the owner for a test drive in his car and flash a valet map to it once out of sight.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

go back and ask for the tech's car keys. Hammer the car until you feel better. Then find a new place.

oil change is pretty simple, a couple of basic tools, jack and stand. You can do it in few minutes. Even if you completely F it up, it's no more than hour.

if you're really concerned about hooning, tell them no test drive and watch them while they do the work. Or take the opportunity to do other work while its in the air.

Being a independant shop you may get better customer service from the owner. He will be losing all of your future business for repairs. He stands to lose a great deal of money from this stunt.

Good Luck

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

OP, i agree with you.

I would steal the short guy's car, set it on fire, and drive it into the shop. That way, he would have no place to return to work and you would exact your revenge..if a family member of his was trapped in the burning car, even better.

Or, i would find a new shop.

As others have said, test drives are normal after oil changes but my car never smells like burning anything after driving it hard. Maybe you simply smelled the burn off of some oil that leaked oil during the change?

OP, i agree with you.

I would steal the short guy's car, set it on fire, and drive it into the shop. That way, he would have no place to return to work and you would exact your revenge..if a family member of his was trapped in the burning car, even better.

Or, i would find a new shop.

As others have said, test drives are normal after oil changes but my car never smells like burning anything after driving it hard. Maybe you simply smelled the burn off of some oil that leaked oil during the change?

i stopped in this morning. the owner said for an oil change they wouldn't do a road test, only a safety check and he'd look into it and get back with me.

and wait until your passenger side cv boot rips/cracks and you get into high rpm a couple times. that smell is VERY distinct.

Archived