LegacyGT.com

Review of JmP Custom VF52

Hey LegacyGT,

I couldn't find a review of JMP's Custom VF52 so I thought I would give you a quick review on it.

***Disclaimer - I have not put it on a dyno***

It is a custom VF52 made by John and its pretty damn quick.

- 11 full blade billet wheel

- lighter inconel turbine/shaft assembly

- Painted Outer housing is coated

It seems to start spooling right away with full boost coming on at 3000 and pulling like a runaway freight train all the way past 7000(my Rev limiter is set at 6500). Even then I think if I had some built heads it would pull right to 8000 or 9000 easily.

It whistles something sweet and is very subtle until you get on it, at which point the sound it makes when you are at full throttle is hypnotic. If I had to guess based on the feel in car I would say I'm somewhere in the +300whp range with this turbo.

Highly highly recommend JMP's turbos

My only issue is that I probably need a built block/heads to take full advantage of what this turbo is really capable of.

Current setup can be found in my signature below.

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

Are they still available? Do I need to start putting my Louis XIII shots money away to save for it?

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

:yeahthat:

I've had a similar experience with a custom billet wheel VF-52 from JMP.

It's been 3yrs and > 30k miles, still tight and smooth as my first day with it.

Pulls hard from initial spool to 7k+

Two hearty thumbs up and highly recommended.

JMP's website doesn't exist anymore and the facebook hasn't had a update in some time. How does one get in contact with them or get pricing?

You could try to message his facebook page or PM (JmP6889928) here on the forum.

Not sure he's still working on them, but you could ask.

JMP's website doesn't exist anymore and the facebook hasn't had a update in some time. How does one get in contact with them or get pricing?

Covid has put Jmp on hiatus for a bit, due to being a critical worker. He's working 7 days a week.

I've sent this thread to him. Feel free to pm him, too. Then have patience.

Edited by boxkita
removed stuff

Covid has put Jmp on hiatus for a bit, due to being a critical worker. He's working 7 days a week. He has the parts for a 20, last I talked to him.

I sent him a PM! Im not in a hurry I have to get prices and save any way! A VF52 is what I want and more than once I have read that he is who I want to buy one from.

Well in all seriousness I probably should start planning for it, my BNR16G is on the car since 73K miles and I am now at 232K. Still pulls strong and no play in either direction when I took the engine out in 2018 @205K but it will happen sooner or later.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Covid has put Jmp on hiatus for a bit, due to being a critical worker. He's working 7 days a week. He has the parts for a 20, last I talked to him.

From Jmp verbatim:

Wow! Thanks to Ty for such a wonderful write up. Shralp has I think 3 of my turbos infosecdad has given me some good feedback and asked questions about his build.

Thanks so much for this. I don't get on LGT much lately but once all the sh!t blows over, I'll likely get back started. I can build a few OE VF40's and maybe 1 or possibly 2 VF46's. 20G is on hold because supplier for center bearing support housing took my money and folded.

Hands down the second best bang for your buck upgrade, and the most noticeable gain you will see IMO. I feel like its the same jump as going from a stock LGT w/ stock DP to an aftermarket one with a stage 2 tune.

Excuse the crappy pic it was the best one I could find atm. I have to add JMP not only stands behind his rebuilds, he has been a wealth of knowledge and help to so many of us on here.

49870838591_4c8f2a5473_c.jpg

Just as an FYI.....When I blew up my first one(my fault completely), he was able to rebuild it and have it back to me in such a short time you would think that we lived in the same city and I was his only customer.

Edited by tysparks81

I did have a stock VF46 which is supposed to be comparable to the VF52.

This JMP VF52 was capped @ 11lbs and felt like the stock VF46. I did a few pulls against a friends spec. B who was running a EVO III 16G Believe he was less than Half a car in front of me by the top of 4th and was starting to pull away. I believe if we lined up again I would blow his doors off now. But I will give you an update when he gets his car back from the body shop.

Edited by tysparks81

Hey LegacyGT,

I couldn't find a review of JMP's Custom VF52 so I thought I would give you a quick review on it.

***Disclaimer - I have not put it on a dyno***

It is a custom VF52 made by John and its pretty damn quick.

- 11 full blade billet wheel

- lighter inconel turbine/shaft assembly

- Painted Outer housing is coated

It seems to start spooling right away with full boost coming on at 3000 and pulling like a runaway freight train all the way past 7000(my Rev limiter is set at 6500). Even then I think if I had some built heads it would pull right to 8000 or 9000 easily.

It whistles something sweet and is very subtle until you get on it, at which point the sound it makes when you are at full throttle is hypnotic. If I had to guess based on the feel in car I would say I'm somewhere in the +300whp range with this turbo.

Highly highly recommend JMP's turbos

My only issue is that I probably need a built block/heads to take full advantage of what this turbo is really capable of.

Current setup can be found in my signature below.

3:17am... I won't say it.

I'm with Ty 100% on this, he built my VF46 gave it one of his famous black and blue paint jobs, and created a monster! The beautiful turbine jet engine whistle is VERY addicitive.

96350038_10163641940950096_5214721468557950976_o.thumb.jpg.30593d3b1b7fae27c7336876b756b82e.jpg

96395758_10163641940595096_6287805660050489344_o.thumb.jpg.3b707798bef4691a5c5c161d52fd4d1d.jpg

Edited by MaasaiWarrior
Added Pics
08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

Not really apples to apples but I ran a OEM VF52 with DW740's side feeds / Walbro 255 pump for many seasons on the track car before swapping in the JMP 16G, 1050cc top feeds, and a DW65c pump, (all other mods kept the same and both tuned at Cobb Surgeline on the same dyno). The 16G definitely pulls harder up top compared to how the VF52 drove and I'm giving up a few hundred RPM's down low before getting into meaty boost. Obviously the 16G is putting down more HP and TQ overall as well. My point here is that both turbos had plenty of available fuel to optimize them.

That said, lets not kid ourselves folks, both these turbos actually pretty darn small in the overall scheme of things. Neither of them is a freight train monster, but they sure are fun.

Edited by shralp

• I Donated Too

I am responsible for his website and we both decided to take it offline for an important reason quite some time ago. John and I have been talking about putting it back at some point.

The email address for that domain still works... john@jmpturbos dot com and he is still checking it, I can see that. And he is still working on Turbos if you are nice to him, he is a reasonable chap and takes great care in the work and result.

That said, the Turbo he customized for my beast (Based on my original AMR CXR500) has been PERFECT and it was in bad shape when he restored it. Since then I have put over 35K miles on that Turbo, with no issues. He knows his stuff... at least where Turbos are concerned, don't trust him with home made snow plows... (You will have to dig into history to figure that out if you don't get it...)

Anyone running these care to post logs? MAF IAT, Airflow, load, boost, and engine speed allong with a list of any airflow effecting mods are usefule when comparing turbos. Post IC IAT would be useful as well, but you can kind of imply that by boost vs rpm vs MAF though. Edited by utc_pyro

Anyone want to share the price on a VF52 from JMP? I want one in the future but don't want to bother him till i"m ready to pull the trigger since its not going to be a simple PM or website visit, sounds like the man has his hands full from the Facebook too.

Wow. I am overwhelmed that I've been able to give so much to the absolute best community of car lovers on the entire internet. I read all of your wonderful posts and the kind comments literally make me want to tear up a bit.

I will be back building very soon. At the moment, with all of the crap going on in our world, things have been a bit difficult to get my hands on and as soon as some of this blows over, then I'll be back and working again.

You are the best community ever and I'm proud to say I call all of you friends, seen and unseen.

I am responsible for his website and we both decided to take it offline for an important reason quite some time ago. John and I have been talking about putting it back at some point.

The email address for that domain still works... john@jmpturbos dot com and he is still checking it, I can see that. And he is still working on Turbos if you are nice to him, he is a reasonable chap and takes great care in the work and result.

That said, the Turbo he customized for my beast (Based on my original AMR CXR500) has been PERFECT and it was in bad shape when he restored it. Since then I have put over 35K miles on that Turbo, with no issues. He knows his stuff... at least where Turbos are concerned, don't trust him with home made snow plows... (You will have to dig into history to figure that out if you don't get it...)

And as for YOU........snowplow.....shithead....LOL. Love you Pal.

Ok now I want to know the story about said snowplow

It went on for awhile and had quite a bit before this post: https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5288641&postcount=3944

There was lots of words.

I met Jmp in person about his turbos. He let me drive his car to test the turbo and snowplow. At some point, a farmer asked if we could dig out his back 40 cause we'd be faster than a bulldozer.

Edited by boxkita