LegacyGT.com

TPMS light flashing constantly

Anyone have any idea why the light would be flashing constantly? per the manual I know if the system malfunctions (bad sensor, etc.) the light blinks on start-up but then goes solid. If tire is low light comes on solid, mine comes on and blinks and blinks and blinks. Tires are all at proper PSI, just looking for an idea of where to start troubleshooting.

Any help would be great.

Oh yeah, 2010 3.6R Limited

Check to make sure the TPMS computer module (either under the seat or under the rear shelf) is plugged in. I think a guy on the Forester forum had this problem and he found his module unplugged.

NVM, he was just getting no light at all even when he knew he should be.

I have had this happen on my GT twice, both times it was gone the next time I drove the car. I have no idea what it was.

Edit: I should have mentioned that these events were something like a year apart. One was on a VERY dusty camping trip, not sure if that had to do with it.

It sounds like the system needs to be relearned. There's a strong possibility a battery is going bad and it died but it came back and is now "asleep". You will need a tpms tool to do anything with the system so your hands are pretty much tied at this point.

It doesn't take any more than 5 minutes to recalibrate the system or find out which sensor is going bad so avoid the dealer because they will charge you an arm and a leg just to look at it.

• 1 month later...
I'm having issues with TPMS, one of my OE's battery went bad so I bought 4 Dorman's 974-029 direct fit ones and got it installed and re-learned. A week later, TPMS lights started to flash and stays on, so I went back to the tire shop and got it re-learned and the TPMS light was gone. A day went by, it started flashing yet again and would stay on, then next time I start the car it would go away, and this cycle repeats itself every day. My tire pressure is the same this entire time, anyone know what I should do?

Silly question, but why did you buy 4 if only 1 was bad? Did you buy the kit that came with the cloning tool or just the 4 sensors? I can't say I've had great luck with Dorman sensors but they usually need the Dorman cloning tool to work properly.

You may need to input the new id's into your computer if they are not the cloned style.

Silly question, but why did you buy 4 if only 1 was bad? Did you buy the kit that came with the cloning tool or just the 4 sensors? I can't say I've had great luck with Dorman sensors but they usually need the Dorman cloning tool to work properly.

You may need to input the new id's into your computer if they are not the cloned style.

The cloned style is the multi-fit or universal fit, those must be cloned. Direct-fit doesn't need to be cloned and any reset tool can do it. The shop that did mine (American Tires Depot) uses Dorman themselves and that's how they did it for years. I bought mine off amazon and there's other 4th and 5th gen Legacy guys that bought the same ones and is running it without issues. I bought 4 because battery usually last about 5-6 years, and my car is about 6 years old, so don't want to deal with it later on. I've went ahead and got an

Autel TS401 TPMS scanner and a ATEQ QuickSet TPMS reset tool. Most subie guys were able to get it running without issues this way. We'll see I guess...:spin:

Hmm...so the car will automatically acknowledge the new sensors and new id's without being reprogrammed? I can't say I've ever seen that before.

No not exactly, Dorman has 2 versions, universal (multi-fit line) and direct-fit line of TPMS. The direct-fit allows any dealer with any updated TPMS scanner/OBD-II tool to be able to program and replace TPMS IDs to your PCM. But that means your car must already be in the system of whichever tool is used to program the new IDs. So if your specific car isn't in the system, then you would use the multi-fit. Most scanners cost money to update and not every shop keeps them updated.

Archived