LegacyGT.com

1999 Legacy 30th Aniv - Keyless Entry Module

I've got a 1999 30th Aniv that I've been trying to 'fancy-up', after having done a full engine swap (no turbo, just a replacement 2.2 for the original).

My question is this - Where the hell does the keyless entry module plug in! This is the first year the Alpine system was used, and also the last year of the 2nd Gen Legacy. So, I'm looking for those other 1999 legacy owners out there.

I originally bought a module off ebay with the part # 88035AE16B, from a 2003 I believe, and there was a perfect match under the driver kick panel, near the center console, kinda near the green two-wire set that is disconnected as standard.

When I when down to the dealership to ask about part numbers and compatibility and such, I realized that for 2003 they had gone to chirps not honks, and maybe some internals in the module had been changed around and that was why it didn't work.

Went back to eBay, picked one up with a 1999 part number this time, 88035AE050. Of course, the pin connector is now different.

the 2003 module was arranged with 8 large pins across the top (closest to the side with writing), and then two sets of 5 smaller ones, one on either side of the locking tab.

the other has a setup with all the same size pins, with four off to one side in a square and the remainder in two even rows. I was able to find a plug with this exact setup under the kick panel, just to the left of the steering column as viewed from the seat. The only problem was this was already connected to something, but only a couple of wires were coming off the back side of this one, one of which just looped back on itself into another pin on the same plug.

Anyways, I disconnected that set-up, plugged the module in, and as a test, just made sure the power door locks still worked. Nope. Blew the 20A fuse. Figured maybe the module needed to be programed first, so I went through the whole open-close door, and key turning, but got no honk.

So, my question is, where the heck is the proper plug for this module? I will attach pictures as needed, but if someone else with a 1999 legacy with the OEM keyless entry module could snap a few under-dash pictures, that would be awesome!

88035AE050.JPG.edd266c23407b19a83f4489ba7880870.JPG

88035AE16B-1.JPG.3204c06b4959a8fdab7cd27d89850891.JPG

88035AE16B-2.JPG.654a62e2e5783cf98de5b846faac3a52.JPG

Self-Help Bump:

Anybody? All I'm looking for is where the stock Keyless Entry Module is installed in your '99 Leg. Just a picture that shows the harness? Any help would be awesome! Thank you to all you out there!

Yeah, I think the tough part is that Subaru changed keyless/alarm systems a year before the Generation change. From what I got from the dealer, if I remember right, is that the module is the same from 1999 to 2001, so hopefully your car will be the same. Hopefully its in the same place! Thanks!

Thanks for looking. My guess is that it is behind your glove box. It's just the fact that its this damnable '99 (though I love the car!) Older body style, newer keyless system...They had to change the plug for it (or I'm assuming they did), but at the same time, would the want to completely change the harness to move it from driver kick-panel area to the other side, when they leave everything else alone? I'm going to go snap some pictures of the setup under my dash and maybe that will trigger something for someone.

Here's a few pictures of where the two harness plugs are, the one with the old style (that currently has a loop back and a few other wires attached to it) and the one with the new style plugs (not attached to anything). Does anybody with key-less on a '99 have anything plugged in at either of these places?

1185811166_NewPlugLocation.jpg.f35f9b9cc9bb865db1e31d61f67011ef.jpg

1078118627_NewPlugPinConfiguration.jpg.59fec39c66179506788a1201b9a51caa.jpg

1092740956_OlderPlugLocation.jpg.12d9658a631a16dbef7788c088f2cae4.jpg

I just arrived on the forum, but have a '99 Legacy with (what I assume is) the stock keyless module. I have definitely seen it under the driver's dash - will take some pictures and post today or tomorrow!

I have a 99' 5mt 2.5GT. When I bought it at an auction there was no remote for keyless entry. Should there be an option to get that back or should I just get an aftermarket alarm. The horn just chirps when I lock all the doors and shut it behind me. Can someone post a pic of the Alpine remote? Please.

Here is the picture of the front and the back of the Alpine remote used with the Legacy from 1999 to 2001. For the 2002+ (until they changed systems, and I don't remember which year it was), the keys/buttons were replaced with Orange and Blue, but the remotes are interchangeable. *edit* It should be pretty simple to reprogram the system you have to accept a new remote (or up to four). I'll find the instructions and put them up here. And TexasLegacy2.5GT, if you feel so inclined as to snap an under-dash picture too? It sounds like arlia101 has got it handled, but the more the merrier!

and arlia101, thank you!

2011-07-15_08-32-11_441s.jpg.1126b8630a4f32f0ccc0ebabb71addc2.jpg

2011-07-15_08-32-30_488s.jpg.a0f87145d36d968b298a4a14c6c47ab3.jpg

Here are the pictures I took under my own dash. I've tried to include as much information as I can in the few I'm posting; ask if you want another view, I should be able to accommodate:

Under the steering wheel, removed the panel above the pedals (2 screws).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/lehvak12/Subaru/th_IMG_4488.jpg

Closeup of module:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/lehvak12/Subaru/th_IMG_4482.jpg

Module in context:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/lehvak12/Subaru/th_IMG_4483.jpg

And again:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/lehvak12/Subaru/th_IMG_4487.jpg

Connector for the module: (yes, it appears that it is the four-square pin connector)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/lehvak12/Subaru/th_IMG_4493.jpg

Can anyone guess if unplugging the remote module will require me to have to re-set-up it once I plug it back in? I don't really mind having to do that, but it's nice knowing beforehand. Mine also appears to be a slightly different part number - 88035AC210, versus Mrrlyn's. Relevance?

Oh, right - here is a quick&dirty shot of the other large harnesses I saw underneath. Was one of them what you disconnected?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/lehvak12/Subaru/th_IMG_4486.jpg

Hope this helps!

I believe if you unplugged it, you wouldn't need to reprogram it, based on the instructions. They indicate that if you are using a used module, you should program four things in, either one remote four times, or two twice etc., to wipe previous codes. But don't quote me on that! I obviously haven't been able to test it yet!

Interesting that your part number is different, I'll have to check with the dealership on whats up with that. Maybe because yours is a SUS and mines not? Hmmm....

At least I know which plug to use! Thanks for that!

• 1 month later...

I'm unsure what to order... I have the module etc. Do i get alpine or one compatible with diablo?

nvm figured it out...

look here ...

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b11/type_4/body_equipment_interior/key_kit_and_key_lock/illustration_2/

to program remote

Unlock all doors, foot on brake, all doors closed. Cycle key quickly but carefully on-off appr 10 times until the car honks one time.

Do not turn the key far enough to start the car, just to the 'on' position so the dashboard lights up.

When the horn honks, open and close the driver's door, press any remote button and that's it.

Program another remote? Quickly open and close the driver's door again and push a button on the 2nd remote. That's it.

yea lol... just remotes. I had to buy football tickets so had to wait a fewdays. I am ordering the remote tonight.

update, I bought it off ebay, 24 bucks shipped. Should be here mid-week and I will let everyone know.

Archived