LegacyGT.com

Rear Antilock breaking and Radio issue at 35700 miles

Hey all

Last night, backing out of a friends driveway, clear path for 30', the anti lock braking kicked in, kinda scared us and our friends standing in front of the car.

Today, heading to the hardware store, I changed the radio station and the new station was selected on the display but no change to the content coming from the stereo. Tried several different stations, no change. Tried to turn off the radio and it wouldn't go off, then the screen went black... wouldn't come back on

After the hardware store, the radio worked as normal

2017 Legacy Limited, Kardon system with Nav...

So.... with 300 miles left on the warranty, what to do

Thoughts?

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as expected, the dealer couldn't find anything with either issue.

Got the car back and 2 days later, going down the road, nobody in front of me and the "object detected" warning went off. This has been going on since I got the car new. The dealer has looked at it like 5 times, never find anything

I've even had it apply the breaks with "object detected" warning while going through intersections...

Edited by toy4rick

I don't have a fix for you but for what it's worth I turn off forward collision warning everytime I start the car. It stops the beeping but it may not stop the braking. Mine functions normally and it's never auto braked on me with the warning off.

As for backwards, when I back out of a steep driveway it detects the road as an obstacle and that really pisses me off because it slams on while my head is turned, so I turn the RAB off when I'm doing that as well.

Many people like these features, I do not. Wish I could have regular cruise control back too...

when I back out of a steep driveway it detects the road as an obstacle

Interesting, my driveway is definitely one that would be considered steep, but I don't have this issue. My 2016 doesn't have RAB, but it does have rear traffic alert. Also, there's a flatter part for the sidewalk and the transition to the road. Maybe it'd be different if it was steep all the way to the road.

Interesting, my driveway is definitely one that would be considered steep, but I don't have this issue. My 2016 doesn't have RAB, but it does have rear traffic alert. Also, there's a flatter part for the sidewalk and the transition to the road. Maybe it'd be different if it was steep all the way to the road.
Yes the driveway in question ends at a severe angle to the road, and with RAB off it neither alerts nor brakes. Also with RAB engaged if you go ridiculously slow you are OK....but you'll piss off traffic.

... I turn off forward collision warning everytime I start the car. It stops the beeping ...

Bad idea! If FCW is "beeping" frequently, there is either something wrong with your car or something wrong with your driving. If you're already a good driver, you will seldom be aware that EyeSight is even there.

Holy crap....how?!?!

RTFM, pp. 86-96.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Bad idea! If FCW is "beeping" frequently, there is either something wrong with your car or something wrong with your driving. If you're already a good driver, you will seldom be aware that EyeSight is even there.

RTFM, pp. 86-96.

Ammcinnis we seem to differ in style quite a bit. You've been fairly curt and contrary to my posts before and I respect that you have a different viewpoint from me. I did look in the manual and asked the dealership. They said it can't be done and I missed it in the manual, so I'm sorry to clutter up your inbox with my useless posts. I did google it now that I know it's possible and will consult the manual again as well. Thanks for looking it up for me.

Whether or not it's a bad idea to turn off the safety features is an entirely subjective one. Those of us who drive often, for a living, and remember when safety features consisted of seat belts and eyeballs will remember when it was possible to avoid collisions without the help of sensors and warnings. I do often speed up to pass before changing lanes, I often don't brake when I know someone is turning, and I dont need my vehicles help choosing how fast to go or how far away to be. I know how well the brakes work and my eyes are always on the road. I have track driven and autocrossed and I haven't been at fault for an accident since junior prom when my eyes WEREN'T on the road.

If you like safety features, more power to you. I prefer to turn them off. Let the public decide what's right for them.

Regarding the steep driveway, I guess it's possible. My friends driveway is slightly steeper than normal however I would not say it should cause the RAB to engage... In fact, I have backed out of that exact driveway some 30 times w/o issue

The dealer did offer to call SOA, think I'll take them up on that

Regarding the steep driveway, I guess it's possible. My friends driveway is slightly steeper than normal however I would not say it should cause the RAB to engage...

In my experience, a steep driveway that quickly transitions to flat is the only situation where I have personally found RAB to engage when you don't want/need it to.

Those of us who drive often, for a living, and remember when safety features consisted of seat belts and eyeballs will remember when it was possible to avoid collisions without the help of sensors and warnings.

I still do drive that way ... every day ... but I don't mind having EyeSight looking over my shoulder, either. I'll stand by my original statement: "If EyeSight is constantly 'beeping' at you, either there's something wrong with your car or something wrong with your driving style. If you're already a good driver, you'll seldom be aware that EyeSight's even there." And EyeSight never gets tired, careless, or distracted. (Maybe I should consider adding, "or overconfident.")

If you like safety features, more power to you. I prefer to turn them off.
It's your car, your decision ... but that still doesn't make it a good idea to routinely disable safety systems.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• 4 weeks later...

Well this is going no where real fast

Spoke to SOA, they sent me back to the dealer and said if they can't duplicate it, there is nothing that can be done. I suggested b/c this is a safety issue, they should replace the ISight computer/sensors... they said no, not until the dealer can reproduce the issue.

They are going to keep my car for an extended period of time, provide me a loaner and see what they can find. Issue is, it might not happen for 2 months or more

Even though I have had it to the dealer no less than 5 times for this exact issue since the car was new, didn't seem to help with my case, even brought in videos

Now with 35,800 miles, I kept asking, what about the 36k mile warranty, they just won't commit to anything

Guess something more serious has to happen before they will do anything about it

:(

• 2 weeks later...

Good thing is that your issue was recorded during warranty period. Though SOA and the Dealer will try to pretend that warranty is over, the issue appeared during the 36K miles duration (AND it's a safety issue).

Especially since you provided video evidence, nothing to do but keep pressing them (or sell the car I guess...)

... they said no, not until the dealer can reproduce the issue.

Issue is, it might not happen for 2 months or more

Even though I have had it to the dealer no less than 5 times for this exact issue since the car was new, didn't seem to help with my case, even brought in videos

Just be sure to keep your videos as your proof.

In fairness to Subaru, if the issue might happen only once ever few months, then it is more likely in my opinion that an odd situation that eyesight isn't able to handle is occurring and not an actual "malfunction" of the system.

Just be sure to keep your videos as your proof.

In fairness to Subaru, if the issue might happen only once ever few months, then it is more likely in my opinion that an odd situation that eyesight isn't able to handle is occurring and not an actual "malfunction" of the system.

If we were talking about a rattle, creak, bouncy suspension or something of this nature, I'd be of your opinion. That being said, having eyesight brake suddenly while crossing an intersection is both a hazard and a lawsuit waiting to happen...

Talked to SOA this week. They won't do anything b/c the dealer can't reproduce the issue.

They drove it a whopping 20 miles and had it on the rack for a few hours over 4 days.

I asked, is this a known issue? He said No, then there must be something wrong with mine... No actually, the dealer said that the owners manual says this type of thing can happen.... WTF are you talking about, lane detection on a curve or other times when you haven't left the lane is not an issue for me, having eyesight apply the breaks for no reason is not normal and could cause a serious accident, what am I supposed to say, I didn't apply the break, the eyesight did.... he said, let's hope that never happens

Sucks to be me I guess

Talked to SOA this week. They won't do anything b/c the dealer can't reproduce the issue.

They drove it a whopping 20 miles and had it on the rack for a few hours over 4 days.

I asked, is this a known issue? He said No, then there must be something wrong with mine... No actually, the dealer said that the owners manual says this type of thing can happen.... WTF are you talking about, lane detection on a curve or other times when you haven't left the lane is not an issue for me, having eyesight apply the breaks for no reason is not normal and could cause a serious accident, what am I supposed to say, I didn't apply the break, the eyesight did.... he said, let's hope that never happens

Sucks to be me I guess

Well, it seems you're at a deadlock.

1. Keep that car despite the risks

2. Sell the car

or

3. Send a cease and desist to the dealer and SOA.

If you choose the latter, just be warned that it will take time, energy, efforts and possibly an attorney's help (having *successfully* gone down that road myself).

Unfortunately, it indeed sucks to be you right now.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk