LegacyGT.com

Need a Clutch! Asap!

So I need to order a clutch, i want to put my engine in on saturday, i have a full day off.. finally....

I have a single mass fw already...

any recommendations for a daily driver 400-500whp? something that will last and is reasonably priced? I need like 30-40k or more miles out of it because I plan to step up to a 6mt in the future or when i blow up my 5mt...

I need something that i can really beat the sh** out of it! I had a puck clutch before, and i loved that sh**.... i like grab and go... but i still was able to slip it when i needed smooth shifting..... not sure about reliability though...

Reach out to Mike at www.AZPinstalls.com in NJ and see what he can get you.

If you get a hold of him before say 9AM tomorrow, you may have it the next day.

Don't wait call him.

Back in 2011, he got me the vf52 the next day.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I just had an act xtss clutch in my car...it was a disc unit. it grabbed hard and had a very heavy pedal feel over oem. It wasn’t very pleasant to drive in traffic. The TOB failed at about 40k....one clip sheared off and the bearing exploded, ripped into two pieces. I’m not an engineer but I don’t believe the TOB provided (they claim it was oem) could handle the Pressure plate that was rated at 590 ft/lb.

When choosing a clutch they are rated in torque not hp.

I talked to scooby2.5 about clutches a while back and he preferred the oem exedy clutch. I had my doubts, wanted south bend or act, went act because they’re a California company (somewhat local). He was running 423 wtq on e85 with no issues. I’m now running the oem exedy fjk1000 with no issues I have around 400 wtq on e85. I daily my car, I don’t track/drag it though.

Just my experience with clutches on the 6 speed.

i plan to upgrade to a 6mt next summer, so I just need something to hold out until then. waiting until I can get one for a good price, along with whatever else i need.

I don't know what hp or tq the car is making yet so it makes it kinda hard... may just get an oem clutch... expectations and reality are two different things lol :)

Exedy FJK1001 clutch kit

Exedy TYF001 flywheel

I spent about $400 for all of it from Amazon.

I felt like I was kind of taking a risk on this flywheel as I don’t think you will find that as the main recommendation to go with this kit and I could not find anyone else running the combo at the time.

I did not want to put another lightweight (10-15 lbs) flywheel in, but didn’t want to put something as heavy as the factory dual mass (36 lbs iirc). Even the factory WRX single mass flywheel was heavier than I wanted I think at around (26-28 lbs iirc). Took a chance on this because it was kind of in that sweet spot for weight (Amazon lists 16 lbs but I think it was heavier than that when I weighed it... 20-22lbs) and it was far cheaper than anything else I could find, plus it was exedy.

Clearly I don’t remember any of the weights lol, but I am very happy with the way things feel at this weight. Any heavier and the time between shifts would feel way too long imo. Coming from the lightweight that was in there might have skewed my perception, but even this feels too heavy at times. Definitely can’t imagine going heavier.

But this combo was very good to me for the last 5k. I did about 1000 miles of very cautious break in before I even hit boost again, as it was my first brand new clutch in any vehicle. Now that we pulled it all apart it looks properly bedded and still almost brand new. Not that I am an abusive driver but I definitely do some downshifts into roundabouts and plenty of spirited driving. Never truly launched the car but it felt like there was plenty of bite to do so.

For the price, this might be exactly what you are looking for if you just want to get by until the 6 speed swap.

Edited by SageAbkatsor

• 2 weeks later...

my idea of a daily driver vastly differs from what most people consider a "dd" things like comfort and luxury take a back seat to being able to pass someone quick enough before your lane runs out or pulling asshole maneuvers... as long as my radio, heated seats, heater and ac work, i'm good.

But chatter can stem from a wide range of issues i thought? Did you have more than one stage 3+ or did others have similar issues? From what I've seen everyone has some kind of complaint about chatter from almost every brand.

chatter is the nature of the game with carbon metallic clutches. as long as you are ok with it, that's fine. i daily'ed the car when i had that clutch as well. just giving fair warning to you in case chatter was not something you were expecting.

FWIW, when my Spec 2+ chatters, which is not very often. I have noticed it seems to happen when I drive the car to easy. Not sure if that has anything to do with it...

I'll also say seems to happen when the weather is damp... which is what I noticed the stock clutch would do every now and then in my 98' and 00' GT wagons.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here