LegacyGT.com

(Advice) Electrical question for rear wiper/hatchback

Hey guys,

My '08 Wagon hatchback started having issues with rear wiper. Doesn't work anymore and everything else back there works perfectly.

Ive repaired the wire bundle on my other '05 wagon, and im familiar how the wires break over time at the exit point from the body/headliner area.

I did the same job and spliced wires and resoldered any broken ones i found.

The rear wiper still not working and while the wiper is ON, I used my Multimeter on the 4 pins that go into the motor there. Connector has:

- Black (GROUND)

- Blue w/ Silver dots (NO READING)

- Green w/ Silver dots (12V)

- Yellow w/ Green stripe and silver dots (12V)

It looks like im getting good readings on everything but the Blue wire. What should the blue wire read?

Also is there a way for me to just test the motor itself using the Ohmeter?

I know the switch is good, most of the wires except unknown blue one.. and motor unknown

Thanks for any help! Pictures here

5AGKhef.jpg

a2Ncy7j.jpg

6vV1tE3.jpg

I checked everything again today and ok the actual plug coming from the harness I get

- yellow wire is 12V constant

- green wire is a switched 12V. It’s turned ON when wiper is turned ON

- black is ground

- blue nothing

Then I checked the pin 2 to 3 across the motor for Ohm reading / resistance. That’s the green to black wires across the motor with nothing connected, I got 12.2 ohms. And if I read that 5ohms is correct ... does that mean motor is bad?

I know some ppl said to simply clean the shaft of motor and sometimes it comes back to life.

Otherwise does anyone have a link to the replacement motor ! Thanks again everyone

It's easy to replace the motor, I did mine a few years back. Just be careful about dropping parts, your working upside down.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It's easy to replace the motor, I did mine a few years back. Just be careful about dropping parts, your working upside down.
Very easy, I just removed mine in 5 minutes. HMU if you need oneefbecfa3174e2e026048c5a1f01f7a41.jpg

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

OK, I went out to the car to do some more tests and I really pushed the wiper from one side to the other and it wouldn’t budge and I kept pushing until it kind of unseized.

Now it’s sweeping back-and-forth so all the electrical is good in the motor and it is working but it seems weak… Like it doesn’t have enough torque to pull the wiper over the glass and stops in the middle sometimes and then I can kind of push it again and get it going

If I raise the arm so it’s not on the glass it will turn back-and-forth over and over again without stopping… But while I’m driving I can hear it being very loud, the motor is making a buzzing and clicking sound.

Does this sound like something I can disassemble the motor arm and clean the shaft and lubricate or just buy another one and replace the motor?

Thanks everyone

OK, I went out to the car to do some more tests and I really pushed the wiper from one side to the other and it wouldn’t budge and I kept pushing until it kind of unseized.

Now it’s sweeping back-and-forth so all the electrical is good in the motor and it is working but it seems weak… Like it doesn’t have enough torque to pull the wiper over the glass and stops in the middle sometimes and then I can kind of push it again and get it going

If I raise the arm so it’s not on the glass it will turn back-and-forth over and over again without stopping… But while I’m driving I can hear it being very loud, the motor is making a buzzing and clicking sound.

Does this sound like something I can disassemble the motor arm and clean the shaft and lubricate or just buy another one and replace the motor?

Thanks everyone

I'll look at mine when I return home this evening to determine if it is serviceable in any way. Gut tells me it's R&R

I removed the rear cap to access the nut for wiper arm and remove it. Then inspect motor shaft and clean it and grease it

The wiper arm plastic crumbled away. So I need to buy a rear wiper arm for 08 outback wagon

And

The. Shaft was rusty and I really torqued it and it started moving again and motor Clicking. Then I greased it anyways and no change.

So new rear wiper motor also.

Does anyone have these two part #s and I’ll buy them today.

Thank you guys

I removed the rear cap to access the nut for wiper arm and remove it. Then inspect motor shaft and clean it and grease it

The wiper arm plastic crumbled away. So I need to buy a rear wiper arm for 08 outback wagon

And

The. Shaft was rusty and I really torqued it and it started moving again and motor Clicking. Then I greased it anyways and no change.

So new rear wiper motor also.

Does anyone have these two part #s and I’ll buy them today.

Thank you guys

Wiper motor 86510AG15B $170 list

Wiper arm 86532AG09C $30 list

Wiper arm cover 86538AG05A $6 list

Window motor shaft grommet 86535AG01A $9 list

Nut 902170045 $.80 list

Wiper blade SOA591R614 $14 list

Bolt 904586009 $1.30 X3